Oil sands emissions

joeboo73

Reaction score
Allow me to do the math for you as per below: Canadian oil sands' CO2 emissions are 0.17% of the US coal industry and 0.08% of China's total CO2 emissions. Canada's supposed dirty oil is an insignificant drop in the bucket compared to the Americans' very dirty coal and to China's very dirty air. Canadians must recognize that our national pastime has too long been to "sever our noses to spite our faces." Oil and gas made up 21% of Canada's exports in 2006 and tops the list of all Canadian exports. Think of it this way: every Canadian across the country (from St. John's to Victoria) must recognize that 21% of each dollar you have in your account or wallet has gotten there because of oil and gas exports from BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Nova Scotia and Newfoundland.

Scuba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oilsands are getting all this bad press from the US, maybe they should look at the emissions that they have in their own back yard from coal usage it is a lot higher than the canadian oilsands.

kgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No we should stop exporting to the U.S. We develope and refine to a finnished product and export with more profit to those who would pay ie: China.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
No we should stop exporting to the U.S. We develope and refine to a finnished product and export with more profit to those who would pay ie: China.

Been my stance for a long time.....the US profits as much or more from our resourses as we do ( refining, procesing, marketing)...lets cut out the middle man. Anyone who thinks the price of oil will remain at $40-ish is walking around with their head up their a$$

lets take back whats ours...

Bogger:beer:

joeboo73

Reaction score
This was to make everyone aware of the emissions. Kyoto protocol can kiss my ass. If we sell to the states it should be at a inflated rate

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Sorry not trying to hijack....just sick of bending over and taking it from our southern neighbors....sorry their government (I have no issues with american people in general)

The Oilsands are getting a very bad rep all around...Air, Water, land pollution ect. The way I see it they are removing a naturally occouring toxic substance, turning it into a marketable product, then reclaiming the mined areas complete with vegitation/wildlife ect... Syncrudes reclamation areas are beutiful.

All the greenies preaching electric cars....have they ever seen a fuel cell dissposal area???? or considered the enviromental damage done in the manufacturing of said fuel cells.

ULSD is supposed to "burn cleaner" fact of the matter is any of the enviromental benifit is lost on the emmisions created in the production of the ULSD not to mention the guys who run diesel will tell you that thier mileage has gone to $hit meaning they are burning MORE fuel creating increased emmissions....:rant:

K I'm done.....sorry Joeboo, you can have your thread back...:beer:

Bogger

kgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The way i see it DIRTY OIL is a f@(ked up concept to start with.

YKX

Reaction score
You are also forgetting that the NWT plays a small part now through Enbridges pipeline from Norman Wells south. Once the pipeline is agreed and constructed from the high arctic south to McMurrey, the tarsands/oilsands (depending on who you talk to these days) will be greatly upgraded in terms of production.

NWT will be playing a way bigger part of this issue in the near future.
m2c

YKX

Top Bottom