O2 sensor question

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2004 Chev 3/4 ton with the 6.0 gasser, truck powertrain is stock and I had the check engine light come on the other day. I hooked it up to my scanner and it comes up with 2 codes:
P0141 - 02 heater circuit (bank 1, sensor 2)
P0161 - 02 heater circuit (bank 2, sensor 2)

so this truck has 4 - 02 sensors, drivers side before and after the cat and passenger side before and after the cat. I think the codes mean the sensors are going off on both sides after the cats.

Does this mean the sensors are both fried or that the cats are both plugged?

I have had no significant loss of power of gas mileage.

I priced out the 02 sensors and they are like $300 and catalytic converters are $640. Can I just cut out the cats and straight pipe them if this is the problem?

sorry about the long post but I am really confused.

slomo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the fact that both post(after cat)o2s heat circuits are setting codes os odd you should check the wiring,especially where it passes over the trans for a rubbed through exposed wire.quite common on these,and i have 2 gooders for a 24 and a bottle of gibsons used but perfect if you need them:d:beer:and if it were your cats you would have a p0420 low catalyst efficiantcy dtc

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wires look good, I also found it quite odd that both sensors went off at the same time

FossY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zx7r.de
punch against ure kats if u here anything loose in there just gut them if they seem to be fine put some o2 sensors in

i had a truck once in the shop and all 4 sensors hooped at the same time all it took was some bad fuel and a slightly loose kat

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just erase the codes and forget about them. My wife's 98 Tahoe throws these codes every six months or so. I just erase them. I have never seen any negative performance.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
THE COMPUTER SYSTEM HAS DETERMINED THEIR IS A PROBLEM SOMEWHERE, AND TO HAVE BOTH HO2 SENSORS GO AT THE SAME TIME IS NOT UNCOMMON, BUT COULD BE CATALYTIC CONVERTORS, OR VACUUM LEAKS, ETC.... HOPEFULLY THESE DIAGNOSTIC CHARTS COME THROUGH FOR YOU.....

Home | Account | Contact ALLDATA | Log Out | Help SHERWOOD PARK CERTIGARD

Select Vehicle | New TSBs | Technician's Reference Component Search:

Conversion Calculator

2004 Chevy Truck Silverado 2500 4WD V8-6.0L VIN U
Vehicle Level Powertrain Management Computers and Control Systems Testing and Inspection Diagnostic Trouble Code Tests and Associated Procedures P Code Charts P0141

P0141
Notes

DTC P0141

CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION
The heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) must reach operating temperature to provide an accurate voltage signal. A heating element inside the HO2S minimizes the time required for the sensor to reach operating temperature. Voltage is provided to the heater by the ignition 1 voltage circuit through a fuse. With the engine running, ground is provided to the heater by the HO2S heater low control circuit, through a low side driver within the powertrain control module (PCM). The PCM commands the heater ON or OFF to maintain a specific HO2S operating temperature range. The PCM determines the temperature by measuring the current flow through the heater. When the heater is in the ON state, the PCM will pulse the heater OFF for a duration of 50 ms , once per second. When the heater is in the OFF state, the PCM will pulse the heater ON for a duration of 50 ms , once per second. The PCM monitors the heater current with the engine running. The PCM also calculates the heater resistance on a cold start. Both diagnostics will only run once per ignition cycle. If the PCM detects that the heater current or the heater calculated resistance is not within an expected range, DTC P0141 sets for HO2S bank 1 sensor 2, or DTC P0161 sets for HO2S bank 2 sensor 2.

CONDITIONS FOR RUNNING THE DTC

Heater Current Test

DTCs P0068, P0101, P0102, P0103, P0106, P0107, P0108, P0112, P0113, P0116, P0117, P0118, P0120, P0169, P0178, P0179, P0200, P0220, P0300, P0442, P0446, P0452, P0453, P0455, P0496, P1125, P1258, P1516, P2101, P2108, P2135, U0107 are not set.
The ECT Sensor parameter is more than 50°C (122°F) .
The Ignition 1 Signal parameter is between 10-18 volts .
The Fuel Alcohol content parameter is less than 90 percent .
The MAF Sensor parameter is between 3-40 g/s .
The Engine Speed parameter is between 500-3,000 RPM .
The Engine Run Time parameter is more than 120 seconds .
Heater Resistance Test

DTCs P0068, P0101, P0102, P0103, P0106, P0107, P0108, P0112, P0113, P0116, P0117, P0118, P0120, P0169, P0178, P0179, P0200, P0220, P0300, P0442, P0446, P0452, P0453, P0455, P0496, P1125, P1258, P1516, P2101, P2108, P2135, U0107 are not set.
The ignition is OFF for more than 10 hours .
The ECT Sensor parameter is between -30°C and +45°C (-22°F and +113°F) at engine start-up.
The ECT Sensor parameter minus the IAT Sensor parameter is less than 8°C (14°F) at engine start-up.
The engine is started.
CONDITIONS FOR SETTING THE DTC

Heater Current Test

The PCM detects that the affected HO2S Heater current parameter is more than 1.375 amps or less than 0.25 amps .
The above condition is met for 10 seconds .
Heater Resistance Test
The PCM detects that the affected HO2S heater calculated resistance is not within an expected range at engine start-up.

ACTION TAKEN WHEN THE DTC SETS

The control module illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) on the second consecutive ignition cycle that the diagnostic runs and fails.
The control module records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The first time the diagnostic fails, the control module stores this information in the Failure Records. If the diagnostic reports a failure on the second consecutive ignition cycle, the control module records the operating conditions at the time of the failure. The control module writes the operating conditions to the Freeze Frame and updates the Failure Records.
CONDITIONS FOR CLEARING THE MIL/DTC

The control module turns OFF the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) after 3 consecutive ignition cycles that the diagnostic runs and does not fail.
A current DTC, Last Test Failed, clears when the diagnostic runs and passes.
A history DTC clears after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles, if no failures are reported by this or any other emission related diagnostic.
Clear the MIL and the DTC with a scan tool.
TEST DESCRIPTION

© 2008 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Here is the flowchart diagnostics(NOTE: I NEVER GOT THEM IN THE PROPER ORDER, SORRY), AND IF YOU WANT I CAN GET THE CHARTS FOR THE OTHER CODE TOO, P0161)....:

Attachments

• 126108125.gif
    126108125.gif
    25.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 126108126.gif
    126108126.gif
    21.4 KB · Views: 86
  • 126108127.gif
    126108127.gif
    25.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 110579736.gif
    110579736.gif
    24.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 136924162.gif
    136924162.gif
    20.5 KB · Views: 90

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry for hi-jacking this thread but sort of similar issues i guess, maybe. Hey Rick i have the same truck listed above but a 1999 and yet again my exhaust gasket is toast. This will be the 3rd time it's been changed, first i was told the stock exhaust was heavy and not secured properly so i changed it out, then the second time they told me that the 6ltr has lots of engine twist which put pressure on the exhaust manifold so they apparently machined the warped manifold, and now the f**kin thing is hissing again. What's the answer.....a new set of after market headers? This is the only problem i've ever had with this baby since me owning it in 8 years.(knock on wood)

Again sorry bout hi-jackin!!!!!

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
sorry for hi-jacking this thread but sort of similar issues i guess, maybe. Hey rick i have the same truck listed above but a 1999 and yet again my exhaust gasket is toast. This will be the 3rd time it's been changed, first i was told the stock exhaust was heavy and not secured properly so i changed it out, then the second time they told me that the 6ltr has lots of engine twist which put pressure on the exhaust manifold so they apparently machined the warped manifold, and now the f**kin thing is hissing again. What's the answer.....a new set of after market headers? This is the only problem i've ever had with this baby since me owning it in 8 years.(knock on wood)

again sorry bout hi-jackin!!!!!

did you look into the "shorty headers". They are very strong, and aren't as suseptacle to leaking as the full size headers..... They bolt right into the stock exhaust, and they doo improve performance and gas mileage somewhat. Are they doing this under warranty, or have you been footing the bill???? I would suspect they are using inferior exhaust gaskets, and never torqued them to spec?????

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
did you look into the "shorty headers". They are very strong, and aren't as suseptacle to leaking as the full size headers..... They bolt right into the stock exhaust, and they doo improve performance and gas mileage somewhat. Are they doing this under warranty, or have you been footing the bill???? I would suspect they are using inferior exhaust gaskets, and never torqued them to spec?????

I've been footin' the bill each time, first time was Westgate Chev, other were at Auotpro in Spruce Grove. I like the idea of headers but i'm sure there not cheap and i've heard that when you put headers on for the first little bit you have to continually keep torquing the bolts as they come loose, once there seated your good to go. I'm going to have to drive her hissing for abit yet as the economy is sure suckin'.

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
i've been footin' the bill each time, first time was westgate chev, other were at auotpro in spruce grove. I like the idea of headers but i'm sure there not cheap and i've heard that when you put headers on for the first little bit you have to continually keep torquing the bolts as they come loose, once there seated your good to go. I'm going to have to drive her hissing for abit yet as the economy is sure suckin'.

i'd be pissed..... Takin' it back to the first place etc....... But in the meantime, there are shorty headers available, and in stock at the warehouse...... We've done lots of the shorty headers and they are very easy to retorque and only need it done once after installed initially and usually good for life.............. They're about $300.00(retail is $347.00).

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i'd be pissed..... Takin' it back to the first place etc....... But in the meantime, there are shorty headers available, and in stock at the warehouse...... We've done lots of the shorty headers and they are very easy to retorque and only need it done once after installed initially and usually good for life.............. They're about $300.00(retail is $347.00).

$300 bucks....wow, thats not bad i expected alot more. What brand? Ceramic coated? gaskets? I'll have to wait til' next month for sure but i might be takin you up on this offer. Is this a common problem on the 6ltr, have you heard any of the exuses that the others gave me.

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
$300 bucks....wow, thats not bad i expected alot more. What brand? Ceramic coated? Gaskets? I'll have to wait til' next month for sure but i might be takin you up on this offer. Is this a common problem on the 6ltr, have you heard any of the exuses that the others gave me.

we've done a few sets of these now..... These are black painted, but ceramics are available(special order, u.s.). Includes the gaskets bolts, etc........ They are flowtech.

slomo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we've done a few sets of these now..... These are black painted, but ceramics are available(special order, u.s.). Includes the gaskets bolts, etc........ They are flowtech.
ric do you ever work or just post all day:nono::d j/k

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did some more research and found this forum:

SES - P0141 and P0161? - LS1TECH

went out and checked all my fuses and the 15 Amp fuse in the "02B" spot was blown, replaced it now have to see if the light comes back on. Any ideas why this fuse would blow?

Top Bottom