Nytro Front End Kit Shock Packages

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
Their seems to be a few misconceptions out there in regards to the different shock packages that Skinz has available with their front end kits. You have two choices right from Skinz either Fox Float 2’s or Fox EvolR’s. Both of these shock packages are built to Skinz high standard of specifications. They are built to meet the specific requirements of the job they are intended to perform in the front end kit of the Nytro’s. They are not an off the shelf shock. They are not meant to be used for any other purpose than in the front ends of the Nytro’s.

These are not an OEM shock, they will not give you the headache of an OEM shock. Let me be honest here, I was hesitant at first too when I heard the choice of shock manufacturer. We have an M series sled with Fox shocks in the rear that has given us nothing but problems. The difference is, is that is a Fox shock built to OEM specifications. The OEM specifies the parameters and Fox builds them to their specifications nothing more nothing less. That is the difference between the shocks you get from an OEM and the ones you get as part of your Nytro front end package should you choose to order your front end kit with a shock package.

Both of our Nytro’s have the Fox EvolR shocks on the front end and we have not had a lick of problems with them!!

Jan

bourgon

Reaction score
What kind of headaches do you have with the stock shocks?
I am thinking of upgrading my front end on my 10 nitro and have looked at skinz and z broz I think, the z broz I have herd that they have week tie rods so not sure? But use stock shocks! So cheaper! What do you think? For mountin ridding!

wilmot

Reaction score
I have Skinz and Zbroz. On your 2010 your stock shocks will work with Zbroz. I orderd mine from Oregon Motor Sports for around $925. Skinz is also a great kit but you need to retrofit stock shocks or purchase new ones.

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
Let me qualify this by saying we are Skinz dealers. The Skinz kit is a true 4.5 inch forward kit that has addressed both the castor angle, how far your spindle sits from the 90 degree to the side which will actually pull the ski back they have adjusted this angle from 18 degrees to 22 degrees. The camber angle which looking at your spindle from the front is the amount it is pulling in or out this has been adjusted to about negative 1 degree this will affect the way your ski travels over the varying terrain.

All of these components factor into how much your front end kit is actually sitting forward. You can't just put a front end kit in without doing all the math and fine tuning all these variables to give you the rider the maximum benefit to the handling of the sled. A tremendous amount of testing and tuning has gone into the Skinz kit to get it just right. The quality that has gone into these kits is second to none.

Another advantage of having the 4 1/2 in forward front end is the balancing issue which affects the handling. The Nytro is designed to put the rider in a very "rider forward" position. So what you end up with is the majority of the weight ie the engine and rider centered right over the same space. Then you tuck the skis underneath this and you create a situation that you need maximum effort to create minimum change in direction of the sled IF you can effect change in direction at all without being thrown off the sled or the sled tipping over on you.

When you measure the distance between the steering post and spindle on a Polaris Pro or an M series sled it comes out to between 24 and 26 inches. When you measure the same distance on a Nytro you come out at 19 inches. What Skinz has done with their front end kit is lengthen that distance by 4 and a half inches thereby stretching out the front end. This creates a better geometry front to back. Then the sled will not dart and dive all over the place. It will not throw you off on a side hill because the center of gravity on the sled has been stretched out.

For me when you are putting out the kind of cash you want the best out there. Ask yourself do you want a lower price point or maximum handling gains? Do you want a compromise kit or the kit that will give you maximum gain for dollars spent? Ask the questions........how was the 3 inches achieved? Are the designers personal riders of Nytro's?

Yes you do have to convert your shocks or buy the shock package but you are also getting your frontend stretched out to 4 and a half inches which is going to change the handling of your sled tremendously. Nextech sells the kit for $100.00 to convert your shocks yourself. It is also a misconception that you can don't have to convert your stock shocks for use on the Zbroz kits you still have to buy and insert bushing to modify them to fit the kits. The stock shocks they refer to are the coil overs that came with the 2008-2009's originally. You will not have to fab up your own tie rods in the Skinz kits or worry about the durability of them your kit will fit your sled on the first install.

Also, if you do decide to get the shock package as I mentioned above you are getting a top notch shock built for the specific purpose of use in the Nytro front ends not an OEM shock.

Jan

Last edited:

samsquatch47

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.powermerchants.ca
Don't forget that if you have an 08 or 09 you need the 10 and newer A arm pivot tubes. Very frustrating to have the front of your sled torn apart to find out you now have to wait for Yamaha parts to bolt it on. Isn't the Nextec kit $100 not $10? Maybe just a typo?

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
Yes the kit is $100.00 and it is the complete kit to convert. You can do it yourself you don't have to take it to a machine shop to be done for you. Thanks for pointing that out. I fixed it.

Jan

craptabulous

Reaction score
Were is this kit for converting your shocks with out mailing them to skinz . I cant find it on nextech's website . If i can convert my current floats for 100$ at home then im sold on the skinz kit

Top Bottom