newbie needs help with sled choice please!!!

dcf

Reaction score
I have very little sledding experience. I have ridden a couple older XLT's (not sure of track length) early 2000's RMK's with 144" tracks and bought and sold a 2009 phazer with the 121" track. I learned quick that the 121" track is not enough for me,lol.

I am 6' and 200lbs and live near the ab/sask border.

I will be rideing 50% flat land/trails/lakes and 50% in the river valleys(north saskatchewan river). With the possability of going to the mountains with friends (I have never gone).

I am liking what I see with the new ski-doo freeride. but have a newbie question about the track length/width. I am debating between the 137" track and the 146". will the 137"x16" track be similar to the polaris sleds i have ridden in the past with the 144"x15"? I was thinking that the track being 1" wider i may be close, or i could be totally wrong.

I know my friends that go to the mountains all have 144" tracks or bigger.

So basically i wanna know how the 137"x16" track compares to a 144"x15", both with the same lugs.

What would you all recommend?

snowho

Reaction score
The shortest I'd go is about 144" on any sled. If given a choice I probably would not go shorter than 153". I know guys that do ride the 146" and love the shorter track for free riding but I do feel the longer the better for traction and floatation. Not too sure about the 16" wide cause I have never had one in my opinion even though gaining 1" on width you are still losing 2' on the length.

• Recommends
Reactions: RXN

Slim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The shortest I'd go is about 144" on any sled. If given a choice I probably would not go shorter than 153". I know guys that do ride the 146" and love the shorter track for free riding but I do feel the longer the better for traction and floatation. Not too sure about the 16" wide cause I have never had one in my opinion even though gaining 1" on width you are still losing 2' on the length.

I agree here. 153 is the shortest I'd ever ride Having 1 sled, Don't be afraid of a longer track. I do a lot of river riding, and mountain. For my riding I use a 162, and Im Running an m1000 turbo this winter. People think I should run longer. But I'm a very versatile rider. I love to climb, but I love to jump 50-100 feet as well. Unless you are going to be 100% freeride and trail go with a 153 i think you'll be very happy. I had an m7 with NOS 153 and it was an amazing all around sled.

Ive only considered buying a second sled with a shorter track for bigger jumping and tail whipping. I might buy a new Polaris for the wife so I can whip it, haha. Hope this helps. I had a xlt 580 modded when I was younger too with a 144" great sled but wheelies everywhere haha

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Once you ride the mountains you're gonna be hooked and find youself going more! I'd say 137 x 16" is too short, go with 146", it will be just fine around home. When I lived in NW AB I rode a 154" and it was fine for riding around there and the mountains. Now that I'm in Calgary and ride the mountains exclusively I ride a 163"

I wouldn't go less then 154" if you're planning on doing a couple trips a year to the mountains. My last 5 sleds were as follows: 121", 128", 151", 154" and now I'm on a 163".

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get the 154 u'll love it and when ur in the mtns ride like DT keep her to the bar lol.

FatGuy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The CN shack along the tracks by Allen creek.
once upon a time 136 inch tracks were mountain sleds....

thats when you really honed your skills

cant wait to rock the old 670 summit in the hills again this winter,makes me laugh getting back on the xp every time

if i rode 90% flat land i would have a 136

but my opinion means nothing

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am 6' and 200lbs and live near the ab/sask border.

I will be rideing 50% flat land/trails/lakes and 50% in the river valleys(north saskatchewan river). With the possability of going to the mountains with friends (I have never gone).

I am liking what I see with the new ski-doo freeride. but have a newbie question about the track length/width. I am debating between the 137" track and the 146". will the 137"x16" track be similar to the polaris sleds i have ridden in the past with the 144"x15"? I was thinking that the track being 1" wider i may be close, or i could be totally wrong.

I know my friends that go to the mountains all have 144" tracks or bigger.

So basically i wanna know how the 137"x16" track compares to a 144"x15", both with the same lugs.

What would you all recommend?

140ish max if all your doing is flat land trail running, why buy anything longer. If your only hitting the mountains 1 to 2 times a year, a 146 and some grip n rip attitude will get you where you need to be. As well why would you be buying a freeride sled?? this is a mountain machine primarly, why not get a 4tec. Crap load less vibration than a 2 stroke, bag the hell out of it all day, and can rack the miles up without worry. As well the extra 1" width, you will not notice. JMO:beer:

Slim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
once upon a time 136 inch tracks were mountain sleds....

thats when you really honed your skills

cant wait to rock the old 670 summit in the hills again this winter,makes me laugh getting back on the xp every time

if i rode 90% flat land i would have a 136

but my opinion means nothing

And the tube tv was the technology of its time... Dont see people rockin those anymore cuz they were awesome back in the day lol

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride 99% in the mountains,, current sled is 163 but going back to a 156. Thats plenty of track.

But if I rode 99%trails i would get a MXZ XRS 800 forsure... mountain sleds are f##kin slow.

If im riding trails i want to hit 200kmh no problem,,,u wont do that on a summit.(maybe on the 137freeride,,probably geared too low tho)

I rode with a guy from sask, that had a MXZ 137inch in Revy 2years ago, 2nd week of November,,bottomless powder and he did really well with it. wasnt goona win any high mark comps with it that day,, but it did good in the trees and would make it where he needed to go easily

These sleds kick ass.(Probably not the best begginer sled tho) Id put a more agresive track on it and pin it. The 137 free ride would be a good unit too

Last edited:

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A 137 16 wide has more track on the ground than a 1144 15 wide. Probably lots of track for the riding that you do around home. Learn on the shorter track and you'll kick azz on the longer one if you upgrade. Having a big track and being able to go anywhere in the mountains isn't necessarily a good thing if you don't have the experience to know where you SHOULD be going and what you should be doing.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haha,, I pay for my trail pass just like everyone else...lol

scottp

Reaction score
Watch your lug height too. 2 1/2" lugs on hardpack or low snow will have your sled overheating. I've found a 136-144 still good for ditch banging and with anything longer, you will need extra room to turn around in a tight spot.

mtacres

Reaction score
I have had good luck with my 144". No, I can't climb the highest or float on the fluffiest powder in BC, but I do get around. Like Summiteer said, learn to ride on short and shine on a longer one later. My sliders last pretty good also. Riding the flat land of central Alberta can be taxing on the sliders of long aggressive tracked toboggans.

Top Bottom