New unwanted noise!

Sparky's

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On a 99 300 4x4. When slowing down, down hills it makes a noise in the front end it sounds like. Can't get it to make the noise on the flat or under acceleration. It sounds like the ring gear or something in the transfer case. I'm not sure where to start so any ideas are helpful!

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks, just thinking that's where i'd start, seeing as darrin wasn't sure. hehe

or was thinking just go faster down hill = no noise. easy peasy

Sparky's

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's kinda a nasty sound of grinding metal of sorts, and sound dose travel. It's odd that it only dose it engine breaking down hill not on the flat or when accelerating?

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's kinda a nasty sound of grinding metal of sorts, and sound dose travel. It's odd that it only dose it engine breaking down hill not on the flat or when accelerating?

Sparky,
I have 10 Acres of Chevy/GMC parts, you name it I probably have it.

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haha I was drunk last night coulda swore I read Chevy, my bad hehe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What about something in the shaft drive loose ??
sent from my htc

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pull the oil filter and look for pieces. If you don't see anything, then I guess you could split the swing arm from the rest of the bike and see what that u-joint, driveline and tension spring looks like.
Also maybe try running it with the front driveline removed as it's full time 4wd so it could be something in the front diff too. You are running the same sized tires front/rear correct?

Sparky's

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The tires are the same size all around. Thinking it's the rear u joint but when you call the dealers they say bring it in we'll fix it for you. So aren't any help. It's the rear u joint making noise but it's fine after it sits level, but when it's stretched or fully extended it starts with the grinding noise. So it's hard to say the angle is starting of the problem are the joint is getting weak

Top Bottom