new to snowbikes and couple questions

250laker

Reaction score
Hello, new to this forum and sledbikes. I live near Owen Sound, Ontario. Have always had bikes and sleds and thought i would give the sled bike a go. Bought a 2010 yamaha yz250f with a 2018 camso dts 129 track kit. Is there anything that i should do to the bike for riding in the cold and snow or is it fine to ride stock like it is ? Probably going to be riding in all conditions like deep snow,cold -25celsius, warm, wet , all the Ontario winter conditions lol. Previous owner said he only ran yamalube 20w50 summer and winter. Is that ok ? Also where can i find torque specs for this blke? The head will need a retorque. Thanks

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
250f snowbike might not be the best. takes power to move a track. first thing I'd do is trade into a 450.

250laker

Reaction score
Thanks lllduke, ya your probably right. I'm just going to be riding around the farm, nothing too serious. Maybe get something bigger next year if i like snow biking. Any thoughts on the other questions ? Thanks again

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks lllduke, ya your probably right. I'm just going to be riding around the farm, nothing too serious. Maybe get something bigger next year if i like snow biking. Any thoughts on the other questions ? Thanks again

Im not a snowbike expert by any means. But my friends that are, do all kinds of mods to make them work good in the snow.

Im sure someone else will chime in with some mod tips.

Good luck :beer:

d8grandpa

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Engine temperature is important. Bikes are designed to run in summer weather, so you need to install thermostat and run an engine blanket and skid plate. If your engine runs cold it will over fuel. Softer seat as you are sitting most of the time. Wider foot pegs. Heated handle bars, and go with the coolant heat rather than electric. Engine oil a lot of us run 0 weight synthetic, Timbersled markets an oil specific for snow bikes. But its expensive.
cheers

250laker

Reaction score
Thanks d8grampa, do you think yamalube 0w-30 would be ok ? I had a vector sled and that's what i ran in it. I think it was a semi synthetic. Thanks

jrusher

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
0w-30 yamalube will be fine. I run rotella t6 ow/40 full synthetic in all my bikes its cheap and works well. Like d8 said keeping your engine temps up are crucial to keep it from over fueling that should be your first priority if you want that engine to last. A 250f is going to be very under powered to spin that track especially in any kind of deeper snow conditions. I would find a newer yz450f with efi and you will be light years ahead in the power department then the older carb 250fs

250laker

Reaction score
Thank's everybody for the help. I will be looking into some of these things.

Top Bottom