New brake pads won't go on

Whitey Jr

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm having problems with what I was hoping would be a quick afternoon job....replacing the brake pads on my 08 RXR800. Got the old pads off OK (took a bit of elbow grease), but am having a HELL of a time getting the new ones on. The pin just doesn't QUITE line up with the hole on the new pad. I've confirmed I have the right pads, but with the additional "meat' on the new pad, I just cant get the right angle to pop it on, and the pin is always a fraction of a cm off. Is there a trick I'm not aware of or is maybe my whole caliper out-of-whack? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jeff

andrew3399

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm having problems with what I was hoping would be a quick afternoon job....replacing the brake pads on my 08 RXR800. Got the old pads off OK (took a bit of elbow grease), but am having a HELL of a time getting the new ones on. The pin just doesn't QUITE line up with the hole on the new pad. I've confirmed I have the right pads, but with the additional "meat' on the new pad, I just cant get the right angle to pop it on, and the pin is always a fraction of a cm off. Is there a trick I'm not aware of or is maybe my whole caliper out-of-whack? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jeff
Loosen the 5 mm Allen head bung. Stops the pin from sliding too far and dropping pad off by itself.

Whitey Jr

Reaction score
Did that (had to remove the head bung to remove the old pads).....no go.

Whitey Jr

Reaction score
Found the problem...the caliper itself is bent. Couple of whacks with a hammer "fixed" the problem and the new pads are on.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some rare times when I have to much beer and to big of hammer I wreck thing even more! Weird?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom