Need some help with hard starting / plug fouling

Russell

Reaction score
Howdy!

You'll have to excuse my ignorance, I rarely deal with 2 stroke engines. And for good reason too, I can never seem to get them to run properly :rant:

Either way, I have a 2000 Summit 700 which I picked up from my father, who bought it from a fella on the site here. I broke the pull start on it last time I went to start it, and haven't got around to fixing it because it has been insanely cold up here in McMurray the last couple months.

The problem with it is that it has suddenly become hard starting, and it fouls up the spark plugs. I bought two brand new sets of plugs this afternoon, gapped them, and made sure that I had a solid blue spark before putting them into the engine. I aired the engine out by turning it over without any plugs in it for a little while. Put the new plugs in, and still no joy. The plugs come out drenched in fuel every time, with or without the choke activated. Its a fairly warm day outside, only about -10 or so.

What can I do to help solve this problem? What other tune up items are there on these engines other than making sure the air intake screen is clear, keeping the belt clear and plugs? Other than messing with the jetting, are there any other adjustment on the carb(s?) on this thing? I should mention that before I broke the pull start, the engine started ok (not well, but it started), so this is a fairly recent development.

Again, excuse my ignornace... Every other engine I own is a diesel engine, which is a totally different animal.

Thanks

Top Bottom