Need help with a bearcat

fj40

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure where to post.
A friend of mine just bought a 2009 bearcat with under 100 miles on it that has not run for 2 years.
It did not idle very good when we pick it up. We drained and put new gas in it, cleaned the carbs.
Runs better but still will not idle. When we let go of the throttle it dies because of lack of spark.
The switch on the throttle pivot seems to work but where is the switch for when the throttle is released.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
make sure the throttle cable has no slack in it at the thumb lever cats are bad for this adjust at the carbs and make sure both carbs open up even , and both cut away screws are 3 turns in from contact [ there the big ones on the side of the carbs ] adjust these first , and pilot screws are 1 1/2 turns out

I had to change my pilot jets in my 09 Bearcat but it did run with stock ones

fj40

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
will any of these turn off the power to the plugs if so which ones

fj40

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what size pilot did you put in and there a way to get to the carbs from the top or to remove the air box with out a big teardown.
it was a pain to get the carbs out through the secondary,

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
two big screws on top of the gauge cluster there torx beside handle bars take them out and unplug speedo , side cover exhaust side you will find plug and the windsheild and everything comes off then a smaller torx reach behind air box and two screws and air box is off

easy peasy

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what size pilot did you put in and there a way to get to the carbs from the top or to remove the air box with out a big teardown.
it was a pain to get the carbs out through the secondary,

can't remember the size it was 1 size smaller went to smaller main jets too

fj40

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks the the info sound better,then how I did it. I hate ripping apart someone else's sled when I not sure how to get there. HAD PEEPS DO THAT TO MINE.

fj40

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I went out and worked on the bearcat today.Pulled the top off very easy thanks, didn't pull the air box but worked okay.
I still could not get the throttle safety switch to work at idle so we jammed a nail in the throttle pivot. No safety switch but
got it to work. I will have to research how the switch is set and works.

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
can't have to much free play on the thumb lever 1/16" to an 1/8" inch adjust cables @ carbs this is part of the safety switch operation

fj40

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I adjusted the cables for free play still would not idle
After doing some research I think it could be the
magnetic switches on the carbs

Top Bottom