Need a little help please...

ESOX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OK, so here is the situation...a buddy of mine owns an 04 vertical edge 800-151". It is currently puking oil?! from the exhaust. He's never had this happen before but before we start drinkin' rum and taking stuff apart...does anyone have any ideas as to where we should start. (well ok, where we should start next, cause the actual starting point is always the rum!). Thanks in advance for any tips:drink4:

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
How much oil ??? Check the oil pump setting. Maybe over oiling. Is the cable broke ? How does the engine run ?

ESOX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey...you can't answer a question with a question! but given that I don't have a clue(please refer to the following questions as proof), I will try to answer yours as best I can.
-A few ounces after running a short time
-Where is the oil pump setting(and how to adjust)?
-Which cable?
-Engine reportedly runs ok but he only idled it. He started it, after sitting for the summer, let it warm up and drove it on the trailer to take home, left a few ounces on the trailer. He again started it and put it in his garage and it left a few more ounces on the floor.
We are gonna get at 'er tomorrow nite and have a closer peek. I like your initial thoughts on it though cause it makes sense. I just need to hear more about the oil cable.
Thanks much.

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
Hey 'ESOX'...He may have fogged the engine at end of season & the oil you see maybe just from that. Start it up & take it for a rip... Even if it is on the green snow! (Grass) it should clean up. The oil pump is on the mag side near the pipe.... Just follow the cables from the thumb flipper, Then it will all be clear. If the oil cable breaks... The pump will go to full oil, But I don't think that has happened or is your problem. There, A answer without a question !! LOL !!:)

ESOX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OK thanks, I did think about the fogging thing...but I remember at the end of last season when I told him to do just that, he said 'fog-it' and it never did get done. I'll follow the cables etc as you suggested and impress the heck out of him with all my mechanical 'knowledge'. If I'm sober enough to type by the end of tomorrow night, I'll post our success or failure.:cool:

Thanks again Mike!

ESOX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, it is a VES engine. I have attached a pic of the hose from the bottom of the oil reservoir to the oil pump. Now, is it just me or is that line NOT supposed to be 'green'????????. Oh yea, the antifreeze level is down quite a bit. We are having a bit of a bad thought that somehow the two are mixing but the only thing that is mixing properly is the rum & cokes!!!:beerchug::beerchug:

Attachments

• 100_0182.jpg
    100_0182.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 114

rmk800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
doesn't look good, does any of the oil lines from the pump the the carbs or motor have coolant in them?

rmk800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if none of the oil lines from the pump have coolant in them, than chances are it's the water pump seal or the belt worn thru the coolant line. you have to pull the cover with the recoil & oil pump, to look inside. how many miles are on the sled and have they check or changed the oil pump belt?

rmk800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hope that help you to get started -you can pm me if you need more help

Top Bottom