My Boy Smoked a rock today...

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get him back in the saddle and ride the thing till spring then work on fixing it.

My oldest son wrote of his mom's new sled, she didn't even have a chance to ride it. He scared himself but what was worse was he felt so bad about the whole thing it took me almost two years to get him to ride a sled again, he didn't want to have another incident he was so scared.

braap braap58

Reaction score
Not sure how old your son is. But I'm in high school so maybe we are about the same age. Tell him fun isn't cheap, you will learn from your mistakes. This is a common mistake or a common occurrence everybody does it. Be glad just his feelings are hurt. I did the same thing last year and separated my shoulder. But hey it could be worse so count his blessings

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you sound like a nice dad...when i was 14,, many years ago,, i hit a rock on my sled,,that my dad bought me... bent the tunnel and the prick just lost it on me...lol at least he fixed it tho... oh the good old days when dad bought the sleds and i just trashed them while he pulled his hair out...lol should have heard him scream when i rolled down turbo mountain the first time...fix it dad...haha

Last edited:

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you sound like a nice dad...when i was 14,, many years ago,, i hit a rock on my sled,,that my dad bought me... bent the tunnel and the prick just lost it on me...lol at least he fixed it tho... oh the good old days when dad bought the sleds and i just trashed them while he pulled his hair out...lol should have heard him scream when i rolled down turbo mountain the first time...fix it dad...haha

Your calling your Dad a prick?

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah he could be a prick some times,,, but i still love the guy.... this was 15years ago by the way... I pay when i wreck my stuff now,, so i understand why he used to get upset at me

Last edited:

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 11 year old doinked it into a tree well and took out his right a-arm when he it a tree. He was freaked and did not want to ride too. I have to admit I was a little frustrated as well. The approach I took was I had him list off all the things he liked about sledding and how many weekends we've enjoyed it together. Then asked him to tell me how long it took for him to hit the tree - 10 seconds. Then asked him if he was willing to let 10 bad seconds make him give up many days worth of riding and good times? He came out again and we've been having a blast! Yours will too. Good luck!

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tell him to stop being a sally or you are going to trade him in for a teenage girl with some real ballz :) Just kidding...this is likely why I am not a Dad!

When I was around 12-14 yrs old I had my Dad's Cat out and had done something to it, something minor, like broke a corner off of the high windshield. Out East the tree branches get covered with ice and you whack them when breaking trail all the time. He was ticked! Told me I had to be more careful, show respect for the equipment, yadda yadda yadda. (I was very keen on working on and maintaining sleds at a young age as well)

The next day we were going to for a ride, he took off on his Cat to check it out, warm it up or something as we would sled from our back yard. 20 minutes later he hadn't come back. Odd I thought. 45 mins later I jumped on my sled and drove down the road, looked over the bank that we used to gain access to our riding area and there he was still trying to pry his sled off the rock he had piled into. Oh man did I have a chuckle with that one. I still do. He had to replace just about everything, including the windshield I had broken the day before as he clean it right off when he went over the bars.

I am not sure who learned more of a lesson with that one. Its not like that rock was new, it had always been there.

I think you are already fortunate that he has a lot of respect for his toys. It seems odd he wouldn't want to ride it anymore unless something else is behind the story. He wasn't hurt, sleds can almost always be fixed, stuff happens. Learn from it and enjoy the rest of the winter.

Sweet_1

Reaction score
It may take a while for him to get his nerve back, my hubby slammed into a culvert on his brand new , barely 20 minutes on the engine. Complete with a concussion etc. He rode real careful for a little while. Its a scary thing for your boy, it may take some relatively safe rides to get his confidence back. But he will come around. Awesome to see a teen look after his toys Good Job Kiddo :)

MTsnowman

Reaction score
Website
www.stovedoctor.biz
As another fellow Dad - the silver lining was that he wasn't hurt (something the kids seem to not think about). Sounds like something my boy would do also. Sleds can be replaced or fixed - NOT our kids.
A few weeks ago was out riding with friends and my buddies grandson was ridin around the trailers/etc ( waiting for us old guys to get going) and struck a big rock - pitched em off the sled - also had enough damage so he couldn't ride it that day - spent the day riding double with another friend - he was sure bummed as well. He and his Grandpa will fix it together and ride again.
Our kids need to learn these tough life lessons in a hard way sometimes - hopefully they're not hurt in the process. Try to teach my kids that they need to respect the machine each and every time they get to go out - cause these sleds are powerful and can be very dangerous. But what else can one do.................................

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks everybody for all your stories and encouragment. Seems we all have had to weather the storm with our kids smash something up? It's always a good thing when there are no injuries! Thanks

Top Bottom