mountain riding close to red deer?

sledheadrevxp

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hi everybody, im new to the red deer area, moved here from northern b.c and have no idea where the closest places are to go hit some hills, other than going to mcbride or golden, any info would be great if theres some places closer,
thanks

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
get yourself a FLUZ map of the big horn area. there are limited areas west of forest trunk road. may not be able to ride until the new year, as a lack of snow. forest trails and ditches will be full of land mines unless we get some snow. you will need avi gear in these areas, elevation 8000 ft. a few have died in avis out there.

sledheadrevxp

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks, ya i dont leave home without avi gear, not much for ditch banging and trail rides so need to go where its steep and deep

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you may have to wait, usually most don't try out there until january, need big snow to access the alpine. snow gets windblown out, and lots of landmines until more than 2 ft of snow.

sledheadrevxp

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats no biggie, how long of a drive is it from red deer and how long of a ride from where you dump off?

Safari Guy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.wildkakwasafari.com
Rocky is 1 hr from Red Deer,,,, 1.5 to stagging from Rocky. There are 4 Random Sledding areas inside the FLUZ and lots of areas that are not designated outside the FLUZ. Last year at this time I was doing Guiding already but still waiting for a little more snow. We arent getting what red deer, edmonton is getting yet. I was south of Nordegg looking east into the Gap and I was above all the clouds,,,,, was sunny there as was west to the mnts,, but may have been snowing at higher elevations near David Thompson Resort.

69plymouth

Reaction score
Steep yes, but deep not so often. Can be really good riding when there is snow, but quite often just lots of rocks and melted sliders. Keep in mind that by the time you are unloading you could be over half way to Golden. I live in Rocky and ride Golden more often then I do the Bighorn. But when the snow is there it is nice riding.

BLAINE.M

Reaction score
There were times in the past where we broke trail into Ranger Creek and Onion lake and there was lots, the last few years. We didnt go because the snow conditions were not so good when we checked with the ranger out of rocky. Some new scenery and you have to know where you are going. We have went with bad snow and it was really hard on the sleds. Alot of rocks.

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks, ya i dont leave home without avi gear, not much for ditch banging and trail rides so need to go where its steep and deep

You should come to golden, I think were leaving Friday with a group of 3-4!!! PM if your interested. ImDooin might like another Doo head to ride with, and the extra muscle would be nice, I heard from Pano Dude tonnes of snow now!

Top Bottom