most user friendly GPS. I need one for my old man.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He gets lost a lot.. LOL Just kidding.

He is 88 years old and wants to mark his 'secret' fishing spots. he needs nothing fancy, just something to "mark" and "Go To" on his screen.

I have a RINO 130 and this thing confuses me with the interface.... let alone him using it.

Any suggestions?

khaos_

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He gets lost a lot.. LOL Just kidding.

He is 88 years old and wants to mark his 'secret' fishing spots. he needs nothing fancy, just something to "mark" and "Go To" on his screen.

I have a RINO 130 and this thing confuses me with the interface.... let alone him using it.

Any suggestions?

Just get him a cheap Garmin. I have one, and it cost like 175$ but that was 4 yrs ago. Really easy to use. Not sure what model, but it still works perfect.

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try a dakota. Touch screen interface. Can load maps.

New! Garmin Dakota 10 (010-00781-00), Palm-Sized Touchscreen Navigator @ GPS Central Canada

remember the included base maps is very low detail (primary and secondary hiways, no roads). If he wants to see more roads, he is gunna need a better map. For outdoor use (ie not car) I suggest Topo Canada on DVD. Has all the roads that city nav has and more, all the POI you could want and has topo info as well. Not sure if the Dakota does shaded relief (dont think so). The Colorado does for sure. MEC (I know we all hate MEC) has the Colorado 300 for cheep (it was about $500 at gpscentral before). Disco'ed product but if they have it get it. It does shaded relief for sure...

Note: colorado is not touch screen (a bit harder to use, but better than most button based GPS - read some reviews first)

OH, the oregon also does shaded relief (topo canada does include DEM (needed for shaded relief). The oregon is less expensive than a colorada 400 and up if you cant get the one from mec.
Garmin Oregon 300, Touchscreen Hits The Trail - GPS Central

BTW if he does not want maps, just wants to mark his own waypoints and get back to them, get a non-maping, http://www.gpscentral.ca/products/garmin/etrex-h.html they are cheep but very primitive (I really would not wish one on anyone). Keep in mind though that he might really like the maps one he has one in his hands even though he says not.

Top Bottom