Methods and tips for aiming headlights

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of talk about headlights lately and I'm wondering what methods folks are using for aiming?

One way is the measuring method ie: vehicle 25' back from a wall on flat ground, measure height to beam just in front of front bumper, height to beam against wall should be X inches lower.

The other way probably more common is the subjective trial and error method on a dark road until if seems right.

Any tips tricks or suggestions??

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i dont think anyone does every ass clown with a truck and sled deck on 63 the lights shine straight into the cab of my big truck :realmad:

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Usually against a wall. I use the wall so I know they are both at the same height. Drive to work or home and adjust again if needed. I can tell right away going down the road if they are too low and sometimes too high. If I get flashed then I know they are too high. Also shouldnt get flashed when the truck is loaded.

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would agree the majority of folks are clueless regarding proper headlight aim, I think one issue is the low beam pattern is pretty broad and can still provide OK lighting when aimed way too high so people don't realize there's a problem. I'm just getting my 09 Dmax lights dialed in after having it levelled and installing a deck and airbags; the adjuster is quite sensitive each 1/4 turn seems to make a big difference.

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Usually against a wall. I use the wall so I know they are both at the same height. Drive to work or home and adjust again if needed. I can tell right away going down the road if they are too low and sometimes too high. If I get flashed then I know they are too high. Also shouldnt get flashed when the truck is loaded.

Yeah for sure getting flashed when you're on low beams is a strong indicator you have a problem. That said I had my lights set a bit too high for a long time and I never got flashed at all.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Funny that every cheap ass rental car in France had cockpit adjustable headlights but they can't seem to engineer a system here for a $50,000.00 pickup that is expected to carry cargo in the back.

Last edited:
Top Bottom