maybe yamahas for the family???

kootenayguy

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Ill try to keep this short- basically Im trying to get myself and the wife into our first mountain sleds, and Im considering the following machines that ive found in our budget. Ive expressed to my family and friends that my first and foremost concern is reliability, and much to the dismay of some very devout Arctic Cat people, Ive come to understand that the wide consensus in the industry is that Yamaha makes the most reliable machine.

Most if not ALL of our riding will be on un-groomed logging roads and skidder trails with lots of playing in deep (and sometimes steep) open fields. I was hoping to post this thread in here so as to avoid as many of the "Ive-been-a ski doo / polaris / cat-guy-my-whole-life-and-theyre-the-most-reliable-sleds bar-NONE!" comments as possible- LOL

The machines that were looking at (and ones we'd like all your opinions on in regards to reliability and fun factor on the mountain) are:

For her:
#1: 1999 Mtn Max 600
#2: 2001 MTN MAX 600
#3: 1998 MTN MAX 600

For me:
#4: 2001 SRX 700 MTN
#5: 2001 MTN MAX 700
#6: 2003 MTN MAX 700
#7: 1998 SRX 700 MTN

Not sure if the SRX is the same as the mtn max- two selds were advertised as such so maybe theyre different- not sure

Thanks for any and all help and apologies for being such a lamen-

pipeliner72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those machines will be a lot of fun they are good!But they are tanks buy a big shovel and plan on using it.:beer::d

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those are capable, but heavy sleds. You are right that Yamaha sleds are probably the most reliable, now, since all they sell are four strokes. Their 2 stroke sleds were no better or worse that any others for reliability.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
ski-doo 670 motors have adequate power and are reliable and easy to rebuild.

lots of guys want WAY too much for them but if you keep your eye open you can pick up 98 & 99 670x summits for around the $2500 range with fairly low km in good shape.

I paid $3000 for the wifes 99x 2 years ago with 2400Km, reverse and a 144" x 2" track

I paid $2500 this year for my 98x with 144" track...

both are mountain capable as I have had them in Valemount and cooke city and managed to keep up for the most part

Vipertonytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had all of them(Sleds you mentioned) If it were me I would buy option 5 and 6. The 700 mountain maxes are no heavier than the 600s and the extra power is always nicer. Also you have two sleds virtually the same so easier to keep them set up as far as clutching and Jetting. And if the wife does not go along you always have a backup sled virtually the same as yours......I am a Yami man through and through but for a few extra dollars why dont you step up and get a bit newer sleds with altitude compensation? You cant really go wrong with any of the newer ones....Just my two cents

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd agree with Vipertonytro, 600 vs 700 similar weight. The SRX was a better motor but not a lot of them around, it's getting hard to find parts. I came close to going SRX but went Apex instead. The 700 Mtn maxes were made forever so lots of used/new parts and very reliable. They are heavier sleds, partly because they are triples vs. todays twins and partly as they are Yamahas. Yamaha does not seem to be willing to chase weight at the expense of reliability/durability. For the use your talking about they will work great, you may want to extend the track as they came stock with 144s. Go with the sled that's in the best condition and has been looked after...sleds of this age that is the most important factor.

We're all Yami in our family as well (Apex, Phazer, and Bravos). Phazers can be had for cheap and have electric start and reverse...might be nice for your wife. But they need to be ridden aggressive off trail....get off your ass!

Other manufacturers do have reliable machines (like the 670), but I'm with you, Yamaha has built far more trouble free machines.

meatbag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Beach Corner-Just follow the tracks from the liquo
I used to ride in the mountains with a guy who owned a Max 700. It was good, had a nice sound from the exhaust too-kind of a howl. He didn't have reverse(which is a pain), never saw him go through a belt or have much trouble other than the regular maintenance stuff. I don't think they had any kind of altitude compensation so buy some jets and get a good shovel! Lol.

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you can find them the the 700 viper sx mountain is one of the better ones as it has the exhaust valves and you can get the altitude compensator for them. We have 2 of them in the family and they are without a doubt the best triples ever built. As was stated never belt issues and the most bullet proof engines of the four manufacturers. But they are heavier than some of the others

johnsmithnf

Reaction score
Those triple yamahas are good for 20k kms before any engine rebuild the skidoos 5k km. there's your reliability. Article cats few years back issues with blowing belts and crank issues. Don't know too much for older Polaris other then the triples they tried to make where POS. Buy a $10 compression tester before handing cash out for any two stroke and never trust the odometer for mileage. The viper and srx will have slightly lower compression on the PTO side (clutch). I'd recommend the altitude compensator and wider skis. A aftermarket exhaust will shed a few pounds up front. Those triple Yamaha are most reliable sled of their era, but regular care and maintenance a must as is all sleds. Will burn more fuel and heavier but reliable. The srx are power valves and so are the vipers and if never adjusted and cleaned likely one of them if not all are pulled thru. And if aftermarket pipes are install question the clutching and jetting. The reliability is from the manufacture.

yammyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My dad used to ride a 98 srx 700 it had some performance parts on it and after having it for 4 years and nothing going wrong with it besides trailing arms and such it got stolen, rode hard for six months by useless people then we Got it back and it still ran strong to this day but aftermarket skis are a must simmons work really good, I had a 99 670 summit x as well and I had to rebuild it 4 times in the time I had it were he never had to, it is a awesome sled I'd recommend it

Top Bottom