Manual fan switch

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering how many people run a manual fan switch? Sick and tired of the fan fuse or switch located under the seat on my kawasaki not working properly. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't and I've replaced this fuse or whatever it is twice. Think it would be simpler just to run it with an on/off toggle switch. Let me know your thoughts

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
just wondering how many people run a manual fan switch? Sick and tired of the fan fuse or switch located under the seat on my kawasaki not working properly. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't and i've replaced this fuse or whatever it is twice. Think it would be simpler just to run it with an on/off toggle switch. Let me know your thoughts

my '98 grizzly has a fan on the oil cooler...... It is factory wired with the temp sensor, but has a manual overide switch(lites up, when fans turned on) so i can turn the fan on when workin' it hard..... No guage, so it's still a guessing game. Switch is easy to get to....

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Just wondering how many people run a manual fan switch? Sick and tired of the fan fuse or switch located under the seat on my kawasaki not working properly. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't and I've replaced this fuse or whatever it is twice. Think it would be simpler just to run it with an on/off toggle switch. Let me know your thoughts

lots of people are swapping out the fuses for circuit breakers.

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Then is a temp guage necessary to know when to turn the fan on or is running it full time, or just when you feel it getting warm alright.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
then is a temp guage necessary to know when to turn the fan on or is running it full time, or just when you feel it getting warm alright.

if in dry conditions, won't hurt to leave it on..... But wet conditions, be careful..... Don't want the fan splashing, when cruising through creeks etc.... I just feel the heat, so easy enough to turn on the fan...... Mine does have the warning lite if gets too hot, anyway. safest way is if you have a temp guage(like koso) or something to be certain you're not overheating anyway

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
run one on all my popo's. usually can tell when the bike is hot enough to turn it on. i turn it on whenever i come out of a mud hole just to cool off the bike and to also make sure there is no swamp grass or something plugging up the fan.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i just put one on my brute last night.... easy to do.... just have to make sure that u have a 15 amp switch at least and i put in a 15 amp fuse to thats seporate from the rest..... went right from the starter silonoid main batt wire...... ran to the switch then piggy backed to the power wire of the fan.....

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya but ur not forcing power back to the ecu.... cause there is 2 ways it starts the fan..... either it turns the relay on [ which is a seporate circut ] or sends power out from it with its own relay onside... same idea... unless the relay's on and the switch is on are they conected..... but power only flows one way when the circut is grounded.....

if ur all concerened about it just put in a relay seporate.... most relays now have diodes built into them

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya I'm not that electrically gifted.. Ha was just going run new wires from the fan to the battery, with a switch and fuse in between. I assume the fan just runs off 12v power so I think this would work... This way it's in it's own seperate circuit with no chance of a screw up

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's most likely ground switched through the sender in the radiator, all you have to do is splice into the ground wire at the sensor and bypass it.

Leave everything stock, just run a new wire, so the fan electrical will use factory relays.

What does the manual say I gave you?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
kawi 's are ground switched to the ecu but then sometimes have problems with the breaker...... so thats y u run the power wire to the fan just in case the breaker and such do not work u have a back up then....

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I got out the repair manual, sat down to try and figure something out, and then noticed one wire was not connected to the switch that is in the radiator... Connected it and away I went... Boy I felt dumb!!

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
add the fan switch too....... just so u can over ride it when the stock stuff doesn't work..

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
add the fan switch too....... just so u can over ride it when the stock stuff doesn't work..

and you can wire the other end of the original fan circuit (ground or power - whatever the stock relay turns on) into a light on the dash. When the stock relay trips like it would to normally turn the fan on, the light comes on instead. Then you just flick the switch to turn on the fan (if its not already on). This is what we did with the hillclimb bike, works good.

Top Bottom