Lake isle sled trail

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So last fall the county closed a little section that runs from hwy 633 and behind woodland bay houses on to lake isle. All because of one home owner. No notice at all to us residents. On the weekends when we had snow and good weather the snowmobile traffic now runs down the main road in our hood. So I did a petition and everyone signed it but 3 neighbours to have it re opened. The county didn't regard my petition as valid cause they questioned how it was presented at the door. So they sent out a survey to all residents with very specific questions and wanted our thoughts on the trail. Most everyone replied and again it was over whelming how many want it open. 90% again. Now the county has more time to waste. They said they must be outa touch with residents of all sorts and need a trail committee of 9. 3 council members. 3 residents. 3 business owners. So there was a big discussion on the woodland bay 200 yard long trail. The committee voted to reopen the trail. Now after all this wasted time. A closure even with a agreement with the club. Meetings and stalling it should be a no brainer. All this info goes to council and they vote down the reopening of this trail again. I have put a letter to the editor in the county papers. Voice. Bulletin. Mayerthorpe freelancer. This way all residents of lac st Anne will be aware of there council and our lack of opinion. The residents are not being heard. This little trail could result in more trails in the area being closed. Ie. stranger hills is not far away. If anyone on here time and rides this area let's bombard county council with calls on this and see if that will help. I've called the county lots but the counsellors don't take my calls. I'm not done with this and let's all work together to keep our areas open.

Lac st anne county. 780-785-3411. Robert Kohn is the counsellor in woodland bay zone.

Last edited:

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
I will start making phone calls tomorrow.... If nothing else I enjoy hassling people

In all seriousness as Drew has said a lot of peoples time and effort, though providing positive results and being wasted and all for not. Drew has spent over a year if I'm not mistaken taking in this issue along side of the Ab beach club. With one person seeming to be able to over rule the voice of many. And not only will council not re-open the section of trail they are yet to even give a good reason or a strait answer as to why they won't open it up or why it was closed in the first place. Other than one persons complaint.

If you have the time please make a call and support keeping trails open.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I spent a day last year canvasing the subdivision and the results were the same, only 1 person was opposed to the trail, and one would not come to the door.

The Lac Ste.Anne council is a prime example of an old boys club with no regard for anyone but their own buddies.

If not challenged this could have far reaching effects on sledding in our area and the success of our club, problem is if you are not on the county tax-roll (rate-payer) your opinion does not count, they fail to see the economic benefits to local business gained from sledders coming out from other areas to ride.

Last edited:

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I spent a day last year canvasing the subdivision and the results were the same, only 1 person was opposed to the trail, and one would not come to the door.

The Lac Ste.Anne council is a prime example of an old boys club with no regard for anyone but their own buddies.

Old boys club is right. What's Bad for them is we am not quitting. If I have to go and get a lawyer and corporate donations. I will. Also I put a check from my own company in there for a lawyer. The politics in this has really got me going. I want answers to why. When. Ect. There has to be a bigger plan. The trails across the road are maybe next. I don't see them fighting this hard for 250 yards unless the whole trail system is vulnerable. What's sad is We should be working hard to get more trails instead of trying to reopen closed sections. Not to mention the large amounts of tax payers dollars already spent on the trails. The Committee and Countless volunteers time and effort. Such a waste.

Lets get get these calls going. Push them for answers. 780-785-3411.

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Keep you documentation in order and get the media involved. Its surprising what a bit of bad publicity can do. It almost sounds like council has a hidden agenda. Keep digging.

BAC'S

Reaction score
Is the trail you are referring to the one on the north-side of the lake just northwest of gainford. If so I completely agree its a nuisance and i cant see any reason why they wouldn't reopen it.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know two people on the trail committee and have sent them a link to this thread. They were unable to talk freely about it, but I think they already plan to discuss this very topic along with the "No OHV" signs placed in the ditch on 633 just East of Alberta Beach.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know two people on the trail committee and have sent them a link to this thread. They were unable to talk freely about it, but I think they already plan to discuss this very topic along with the "No OHV" signs placed in the ditch on 633 just East of Alberta Beach.

"They were unable to talk freely about it".... thats bull**** what is this communist China?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-pacific-13904437

Oh wait it is

Last edited:

eckfoo

Reaction score
From what I've heard it's been a challenge having open conversation with Lac St Anne council over the last few years. If you live in the county or use the trails and support local business please contact county office. Here is a link to their concerns form

mallard d69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
finally something has worked:

The trail at Woodland Bay will be OPEN from December 1[SUP]st[/SUP] to April 30[SUP]th[/SUP] (or when the new agreement runs). This is effective December 1[SUP]st[/SUP], 2014.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
We all owe Andrew a huge thank you, apparently his publicity quickly changed their minds....

Thanks Bud..... Awesome work.

Top Bottom