King Quad Problems "stalling" out, possilbe electrical problem

Rusty99

Reaction score
Hi guys and gals.

I got a 2006 Suzuki King Quad 700cc.

I've been having a reoccurring problem that's getting worse and worse and I belief it may be electrical related and need some help trouble shooting.

Quad starts and runs fine but "stalls" or "cuts out" usually at low idle. The shop suggested I add an extra ground to my battery and I will do this soon. I just replaced the battery this week to rule that out.

Anyone else had this issue or got suggestions? It feels like the battery is just cutting out or something. I'm no mechanic but willing to give anything a try.

Cheers

QMAO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I suggest to check your TPS and run some Sea Foam through your fuel system.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dielectric grease on all your connections, and check wires for rubbing/grounding out.

QMAO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also make sure your battery is in good condition. Voltage should be 14.1-14.2 while engine running. These Kings don`t like any poor or corroded conections.

Rusty99

Reaction score
I put a new battery in the quad last week, so it should the battery should be good. However I only have a small amount of dielectric grease on the connection. Would that make much difference if I smothered it in grease? The connection is super tight so I thought that would be enough?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as long as you got some in the connections excess should squeeze out, wondering if you may have a bare wire? definitly make sure your battery is good, as stated king battery will go dead on it's own over a week or two sitting, check over at nyroc site, best kingquad site on the net.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
YUP, CHECK ON THE NYROC SITE FOR ADVICE TOO.... BUT, I WOULD RUN THE EXTRA GROUND WIRE TO THE BATTERY FROM THE FRAM..... SOUNDS LIKE YOU NEED TO ADJUST YOUR THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR, THOUGH.

YOU MIGHT CHECK FOR CODES FIRST:

Service code switch - 700
by Dav Ash, 2006-03-18

I have read that some have wired in a simple toggle switch to do this but a great in the field tip was given to me buy BruteForceBob from the Kawasaki side. Thanks Bob and DemiJohn.
Here is the Suzuki part number for the mode switch. Suzuki P/N 09930-82720

Just a little help for you guys dealing with the electronic frustrations of the king quad, don't know if this has been posted before but with a little tinkering this is what I found. when you need to put your bike into dealer mode instead of buying the mode select switch just use a paper clip. if your looking at the white dealer service connector under the seat with the black cap on it, there are six holes in the plug, on the outsides there are 2 on each side. One side only has one wire going to it, the other hole is a blank. The side that has 2 wires you can put a paper clip in it and flip it into dealer mode.

If you have the VDI ECU you must put the stock ECU back in to use dealer mode.

The codes are as follows:
C00 NONE
C12 CRANK POSITION SENSOR
C13 INTAKE AIR PRESSURE SENSOR
C14 THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR
C15 ENGINE COOLANT TEMP. SENSOR
C20 RELAY (DIFF LOCK RELAY)
C21 INTAKE AIR TEMP. SENSOR
C23 TIP OVER SENSOR
C24 IGNITION SIGNAL (IGNITION COIL)
C32 INJECTOR SIGNAL
C40 IDLE SPEED VALVE
C41 FUEL PUMP CONTROL SYSTEM

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
HOW TO ADJUST THE TPS:

Adjusting TPSThrottle Position Sensor on 2009 Suzuki King Quad - YouTube Sorry for the sound cutting out about middle way through the video, my batteries were starting to go dead, but I swapped some new ones in and that is why the sound came back. Here is what I was trying to say: You will find the diagnostic port under the seat it is a white plug with a black cap, turn it where the wires coming through are side by side until you see the 2 ports with wires in them are side by side, once you have it like that insert the paperclip until it closes the circuit, to verify this turn the key on and you will see a E or C with 2 zeroes next to it. If yours is adjusted correctly the line next to the C(like on mine) is in the middle if the line is at the top or bottom of the C then you will need to adjust it according to the video. I hope this helps anyone that may be having a slight stumble off idle or poor idling. It is worth saying that you need to warm your quad up before doing what is in the video this will assure that your computer is reading off the sensor correctly.
Let me know if anything needs to be clarified.

THOMAS (SUZUKI ATV FORUMS)

Last edited:

Rusty99

Reaction score
Great Info guys! I will definitely check the throttle position sensor out this weekend. Anyone have more info on installing an extra ground wire to the battery as suggested by Summitric? I will also make a post on the Nyroc site as suggested. Much appreciated.
Rusty

Top Bottom