Kawi belt change

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, Buddy of mine has a Kawi 700 BF. He asked me to change out his belt but I've never worked on one before. How do you go about change the belt on this bike.
Must be a big job... dealer quoted $400 for belt change. any pics or web manual I can check out would be great.

new24stroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pull the belt cover off.Then see if you can borrow a clutch puller and pull the primary off.This is the quickest and the easiest way to chande the belt.I can do it on my 07 650i in about 30 minutes

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
do you know what clutch puller is needed? I have 1 for my yammy and 1 for comet clutches.

new24stroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure.What I would do it take everythine apart and go to the dealer and get them to take the clutch off for you.That is what I did the first time and they did not charge me for anything.It probable only to him 2 minutes to change it

Brute Force Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You don't need a clutch puller, I've done mine more than once any you WILL NOT cut your belt by just rolling it on.

DON'T FORGET to re set you belt warning switch if its been tripped, its on the inside of the cvt cover, easy to find.

MAKE SURE you get a OEM belt or better, I've made the mistake of getting one of those cheap ones off the net, lasted maybe 50km.

Your CVT cover has maybe 7 or so bolts to take off, if you've burnt your old belt, take the time to clean your clutch spools, disk break cleaner works well.

It shouldn't take more than 1/2 hour and a belt should only cost you $110

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You don't need a clutch puller, I've done mine more than once any you WILL NOT cut your belt by just rolling it on.

DON'T FORGET to re set you belt warning switch if its been tripped, its on the inside of the cvt cover, easy to find.

MAKE SURE you get a OEM belt or better, I've made the mistake of getting one of those cheap ones off the net, lasted maybe 50km.

Your CVT cover has maybe 7 or so bolts to take off, if you've burnt your old belt, take the time to clean your clutch spools, disk break cleaner works well.

It shouldn't take more than 1/2 hour and a belt should only cost you $110

agreed. i got 7400km on mine now and so far put on 3 belts with no special tools, just man handled it on there. just think, people have to be able to do it on the side of the trail if need be so i suggest getting familiar on how to change it. also the only extra tools i pack is a ratchet with a 6 inch extension and number ten ?? or maybe 12?? socket to remove the cvt cover bolts. also have a paper to remind me on how to disable the gimpy mode it goes into incase the belt failure switch gets trigured!:):d

Top Bottom