ISSUSES with a 2009 polaris dragon 155 track

arctic cat m8

Reaction score
Hello I just bought a 2009 polaris dragon 800 155, has 1300kms on it , test rode it before I bought it and ran good , got it home took it for first ride today started good ran good , filed up at a local gas station rode it over to store shut it off came out of store 5min later wouldn't start , or event fire , plugs were wet but had spark , still nothing so I left it for a hour came back still nothing so then I borrowed my buddy's lighter and heated and drive the plugs put em back in got my buddy to hold throttle alittle bit open and she fired, why would of it flooded sitting there? Next thing that happened made me madder ,ran good til I got mile outta town then it cut out and was in I guess limp mode then noticed the engine light flashing , I limped it home which was only couple more miles shut it off couple hours later I started it up and no more engine light is on , never took it for ride but idled and sounded fine , what would have cause that it was pretty cold today out to -28 , sled has SLP pipe and can on it has full vent kit head light delete kit with vent , so has lots of vents was wondering if it maybe ran to cold ? Or what ? Please give me some ideas? Thanks

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
What lights were flashing, and how many times? Also how was the compression, when you bought it?

arctic cat m8

Reaction score
What lights were flashing, and how many times? Also how was the compression, when you bought it?
It was the check engine light , and that's the thing I never paid attention to how it was flashing , just that it wa flashing , and another thing I never did was test the compression when I bought it , I owned a arctic cat m8 before this and bought it new , but went the buying used route this time , took a gamble I guess , my buddy has same sled as this just his is the 2009 assualt 800and he hasn't had any issues with his at all , other then the recall of course for the pistons , but other then that he has 1800kms problem free,

drew17

Reaction score
i have same sled and id recommend mtntk fix kit as soon as you can never had an issue with mine but its when not if. if you have any mechanical skills at all or have a buddy that id recommend doing it yourself. turns it into a whole new beast.

arctic cat m8

Reaction score
The guy had also told me when I bought it he never blew a piston or anything but his dealership called his sled in to replace the pistons on it and rings , shortly after he bought it ,

powder junkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The guy had also told me when I bought it he never blew a piston or anything but his dealership called his sled in to replace the pistons on it and rings , shortly after he bought it ,

Sounds like u need the fix kit. Cousins 09 dragon did same thing, goin thro plugs every 5-10 miles. After the kit he was lovn it. Pulled alot harder. Kits r from $600-900 diff ones out there.

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Every Polaris 800 should have a fix kit. Someday they will wake up and realize they have a problem.

Put it in and don't look back.

drew17

Reaction score
there are a few different fix kits all a little diferent but they basically all change pistons the mtntk ine is weisco piston with a spacer. rktek is piston with new head. look through the iq forums on this site lots of helpfull info or contact chrisco at parkland motorsports. personally i like the mtntk kit hope this helps

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agree. MTNTK seems to be most used. Either way all 800's need one.

+SLEDWRECKS+

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello I just bought a 2009 polaris dragon 800 155, has 1300kms on it , test rode it before I bought it and ran good , got it home took it for first ride today started good ran good , filed up at a local gas station rode it over to store shut it off came out of store 5min later wouldn't start , or event fire , plugs were wet but had spark , still nothing so I left it for a hour came back still nothing so then I borrowed my buddy's lighter and heated and drive the plugs put em back in got my buddy to hold throttle alittle bit open and she fired, why would of it flooded sitting there? Next thing that happened made me madder ,ran good til I got mile outta town then it cut out and was in I guess limp mode then noticed the engine light flashing , I limped it home which was only couple more miles shut it off couple hours later I started it up and no more engine light is on , never took it for ride but idled and sounded fine , what would have cause that it was pretty cold today out to -28 , sled has SLP pipe and can on it has full vent kit head light delete kit with vent , so has lots of vents was wondering if it maybe ran to cold ? Or what ? Please give me some ideas? Thanks

First off..... what kind of fuel did you put in it ? Hopefully it was good premium fuel without ethanol. Is that 1300k on the sled or on a rebuilt engine ? If it went into limp mode it was probably detonation ! If you shut the sled down and re-start it should clear the limp mode. Do a compression test as well. Should be around 100 - 120 ish.

I have an 08' 800 Dragon with SLP pipe/can as a spare and the injectors seem to stick open once in awhile and will flood the sled. I have to unplug the fuel pump and fire the sled till it burns off the fuel, plug the pump back in and good to go. The plug is a 2 wire plug and is on top of the airbox - black/red wires. Hope you get it figured out.

Last edited:

arctic cat m8

Reaction score
I'm liking the sounds of the fix kit thanks but I was just thinking I bought the sled he never told me what fuel he ran in it only had alittle over a 1/4 tank of fuel in it and I rode it to town and it was pretty well empty then and I filled it up with 87 is it possible I should of filled it up with 91 octane and that could of caused my problems ?

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score

Mine did the exact same thing turns out it was the plugs. Try the easy stuff first.

+SLEDWRECKS+

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm liking the sounds of the fix kit thanks but I was just thinking I bought the sled he never told me what fuel he ran in it only had alittle over a 1/4 tank of fuel in it and I rode it to town and it was pretty well empty then and I filled it up with 87 is it possible I should of filled it up with 91 octane and that could of caused my problems ?

Yes, always run premium fuel. Drain the tank and refill with premium and you should be good.
You should do a compression test so you know were your at as well with the top end.

arctic cat m8

Reaction score
Yeah talked to guy I bought it and yeah he said run 91 octane , would explain why after I filled it up and ride it a block to store shut it off it wouldn't start when I came out , from gas station to store probly only ran long enough to suck the 87 into the fuel system, and that it ran but sputtered then check engine light came on and went to limp mode , I mean it started second pull every time before that and is fairly hard pulling it over but yeah second pull every time it starts , other then after I filled it up with 87 and shut it of at store is only time I had to pull my head off to get it going ,

arctic cat m8

Reaction score
Thanks for the help , yeah I never thought of it , was use to all the other sleds I've owned my last one was 2008 arctic cat and it could only run 87 , my buddy filled up his 2008 cat once with 91 to see if it make it run better lol and it wouldn't run good at all , he had to drain his tank on the trail and borrow my little Jerry can of regular , then his sled ran good again after a bit , but thanks everyone for the help and I'm gonna get a compression test done as well , and look into the fix kit , price everything out, plan to go sledding with buddy's over the holidays so hoping premium fuel and plugs will fix it , or I'll have to stay home

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My brother in law had some running issues with his m1100t. He had 3 bars of fuel from the previous year in it and topped it off with premium. I asked if he ran stabil and he said no i just started it every month..... Pfff

Sure enough octane light, running like ****. Burnt full tank and filled with prem and a gallon of c12 and BAM completely different sled.

Put stabil in, run it for a bit and siphon it out and put the gas in your truck at the end of the season.

Top Bottom