issues with 1976 skidoo everest 440

snowygaledm

Reaction score
ok here it go's...I and my Hubby bought this skidoo 5 years ago. It had 100 original miles. We brought her home. Now we've bought new carburator parts an new throttle cable. Still when we put the track on ground with the weight of the sled on the track there is a total loss of power and then she stalls out . we were told that the clutch has to be adjusted? we now are stumped if this the problem how in the world do you adjust the clutch on this machine. In the 5 year since we brought this machine home not once have we taken her out for a season...We have been plagued by problems with this machine. Now if any one can help to try and get this sled a running we would take any advice from anyone who has experience with skidoo brand sleds.......Thank you.:( please also summit answers to annmar@telusplanet.net)

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok here it go's...I and my Hubby bought this skidoo 5 years ago. It had 100 original miles. We brought her home. Now we've bought new carburator parts an new throttle cable. Still when we put the track on ground with the weight of the sled on the track there is a total loss of power and then she stalls out . we were told that the clutch has to be adjusted? we now are stumped if this the problem how in the world do you adjust the clutch on this machine. In the 5 year since we brought this machine home not once have we taken her out for a season...We have been plagued by problems with this machine. Now if any one can help to try and get this sled a running we would take any advice from anyone who has experience with skidoo brand sleds.......Thank you.:( please also summit answers to annmar@telusplanet.net)

Need more info.

Did you compression test the motor? What carb is on it, should be a Tillotson I think. These were really easy to work on. Clutchin could be the key, clutches are really easy too, square shaft on the fixed half with two soft rollers on the arms inside. You can take the bolt out of the crank and then remove the outer orange cup, the rollers push on the outer cup and force the sliding sheave to move in and grab the belt.

again, need more info here. Does the secondary clutch open up at all, does it stall out when you rev it up with the track off the ground? or just when you rev it up in general?

These were pretty simple sleds, not much too them and easy to work on.

powderpusher

Reaction score
my best guess is that the clutch needs cleaned ive run accross that problem on alot of the older sleds ive fixed the clutch on the motor is not engaging properly clean both clutches up and youll be out riding as that was a common problem on most of the older sleds pretty sure if you clean up clutches youll be sledding soon

Sparkomatic

Reaction score
Well glad to know I am not the only one . I am fighting with mine yet and has stumbled me to here . Mine is similar in the issues you have . It will start up fine , idle as it should but then slow down to under 1000RPM and when squeeze the throttle it bogs real bad and spits fuel back out the carb . I have muniki carb on mine , replace pilot jet with #25 and hasnt helped , Been thought the floats , main jet (#340) needle and seat , Adjust the needle on the slide and nothing has fixed , Even replace the fuel pump as seemed to be flooding on pulse line cylinder worse than the PTO side. I have pulled the flywheel and filed /cleaned points , Inspected the wiring and set point gap to .016. I have no idea what to do next . You can try these things on yours and see if it helps it ? Just suggestions to try . I have an 80 that runs well so may swap carbs but really feel that wont help it . I have also replaced plug wires and plugs . Been through the clutch as well. WHich from what I am reading is not your issue either. once I can get mine to move and keep it to the pin , it runs very well as long keep it over 5000rpm . as soon as slow down it over fuels and bogs . very very agitating to say the least.

Tonight I am going to check the timing and adjust it to see if that is the issue. It seems to me that these units have rotted from no use. mine has 1000 miles on it .

Other things you should check as well is the primer for leaking fuel past it and getting sucked into the engine. fuel tank breather vent line . Mine was plugged and had to drill out . Remove fuel cap and see if it helps. what does the plugs look like ? Mine are black and soaked with fuel . should be nice cardboard brown . when checking for spark it should be bright and blue in color . iF orange or dim / faint likely the points need attenion.

I'm sure there is few other things I have missed , but this is good list to start with .

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my buddy's wife has an older 440 Everest, it was doing much the same, fire up and run fine, as soon as it moved it would stall out and bog. only way you could get it to go was by pushing the sled and then it would drive but as soon as you slowed down, it would bog out and not move....it was the bushing in the sliding half of the secondary. as soon as you try to move it would shift out and stall. replaced the secondary bushing and sled runs and drives like new.

funny part was when I went to the dealer to see if they could find the bushing....no dice. I happened to have the old one and showed it to her, she laughed and said "hold on..." she goes into the parts room and brings out 3 bushings, the exact ones we needed. the part numbers didn't match up with anything in the computer, she had just done inventory and threw them all in one box labeled "unknown". bought all three of them for 5 bucks each....score. :D

newyears012Medium.jpg

Last edited:

OX800X

Reaction score
I had the same problem , I had used regular fuel line for the vacuum line on the fuel pump. The sled parlour told me to use flex line( like heater hose only smaller ) and that did it runs great after sitting around for a year frustrated. Hope this helps that looks like a nice ride

Top Bottom