Inexpensive quad purchase advice please.

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As per title my uncle is looking for a fairly cheep but dependable quad
to take into the bush for weekend fishing trip's in central sask.I know
noda about quad's nor does he.Any advise would be appreciated.
He doesn't want a 6 or 700 lb 4x4 monster with a 800cc engine.
2wd would be do-able i'm sure if it has a front bumper that a small winch
could be bolted to just incase he get's himself in a wet area.
I see alot of mid to late 90's trail blazer's and scrambler's on kijiji,besides the
disadvantage(IMO) of being 2 strokes are these fairly decent machines?
Thank's for any advice anyone may have.

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depending on what he wants to spend, you can get a new sportsman 500 in the $5000-$6000 range. 400 would be even cheaper.

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would say 2 K TOP'S. He want's to go fairly far into the bush to some off of the grid fishing spot's.
So ,IMO a 4 stroke would be better(less fuel) Just a fairly bare bones machine.Electric start,reverse,
a rear cargo rack and he would be happy.I just don't know F/A about quads and he is wanting me to
help him find something.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 1984 honda 3 wheeler is still running great no winch needed for them. Do not buy anything with a rad or a 2 stroke, heating will not be an issue that way. the tree planters had it figured out.

Last edited:

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I recommend forgetting about 2 wheel drive all together. You're best bet is to look for a Honda 300 or 350 Fourtax. However, for $2000, you'll be lucky to find a decent one that's newer than 1998. You can probably get a newer Big Bear for the same price, but nothing beats those old Fourtrax's. ...and it's probably a good idea to take someone knowledgeable with you before you drop the cash.

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
cause he will be doing some of the walks.. if your going to remote places.. no question 4 x 4 forsure.. but for 2 grand, your not going to get anything really good or dependable imo

put that 2 grand towards the downpayment maybe.......

yea look for the Honda or the big bear like Dave mentioned.. in good shape maybe around that 2500 mark? 3000?

Last edited:

nathan#19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a red. 1999 Honda 450ES 4x4. in very good shape for sale. Asking $3000. We have had it since new and it's only been used on a grain farm to run ppl around the fields and carry a small sprayer in the summer. We got a new one 2 years ago and this one isn't getting used enough to warrant keeping it.
Anyone interested?

git r done

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an 2007 Suzuki kingquad 450. It has 4x4 reverse and efi, and a warn winch, its a good quad runs good. Has higher mileage (7700kms). Really good shape other than cracked front bumper. Asking $3500.
780-975-9417.

Top Bottom