Important Info Regarding Active Logging on Keystone

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Thanks for the info actually just ordered these off ebay can ask why they are illegal. also heard they are hard to program do u find them hard to use?

They're illegal because they're user programmable, and can transmit above the legal output limit on any number of channels that can be programmed into them. I don't find them hard to program once you figure out the sequence, but very time consuming. I program them from my computer now. Much easier. The factory manual sucks, but you can download a better one for free.

orangemaddness

Reaction score
Ok I just thought you would type in the frequency and away you go but It sounds like a little more to it. thanks I'll have to spend some time fiddleing with it before we head out.
They're illegal because they're user programmable, and can transmit above the legal output limit on any number of channels that can be programmed into them. I don't find them hard to program once you figure out the sequence, but very time consuming. I program them from my computer now. Much easier. The factory manual sucks, but you can download a better one for free.

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
If you are looking for frquencies try this page for frequencies in canada.

For example,,, go to bottom of page and type in the Search
BC and then revelstoke and hit search.
This will give you a list of all frequencies assigned...

DOWNIE CREEK/REVELSTOKE BC AREA.
REVELSTOKE COMMUNITY FOREST CORP.
If you click on details it provides all information for the license holder.

Take note TX and RX frequencies are not always the same.

Tuesday

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok I just thought you would type in the frequency and away you go but It sounds like a little more to it. thanks I'll have to spend some time fiddleing with it before we head out.

Basically once in the right mode you type in the frequency, takes about 10 seconds. Make sure it works before you go head up the trail though.

As mentioned they are illegal because you can put in any frequency and theoretically hold down the button and jam the signal. Just be smart with it and you will be fine. Other options are buying a 300$ programed one or just dont ride logging areas??

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you have a link to the better manual? Any idea if these radios will do the new RR channels?

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you have a link to the better manual? Any idea if these radios will do the new RR channels?

The (Chinese) Radio Documentation Project

And yes they do Resource road frequencies. And yes orangemadness you can just enter the frequency as you need it. Go to frequency mode and type it in....BUT....your frequency step needs to be set to 2.5khz. They usually come from factory set to 25khz, which will screw you up most of the time trying to enter a RR frequency. Easy to change. Check the downloadable manual. You'll never figure it out from the one that comes with it.

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The working frequency for Keystone is actually 156.240

it's posted as 153.515 at the bottom but at 5k there's another sign for 156.240!

Most VHF radios are dual band, so listen in on both.

We were up there this past weekend.

be safe !

Top Bottom