Idler assembly

CrosbyStills

Reaction score
Went out to Cataract yesterday, had a great time for 5 or 6 hours. Then my idlers decided to kick off their bearings. Getting towed 5k or so to the staging area's obviously trashed them.

Had quite a bit of downtime, was checking out the idlers on my buddy's 2012 M8. Instead of the large wheels on bearings with snap rings being about the only thing holding them together, the M8 wheels are bolted together, looks a lot more stable.

Anyone know if the M8 style idlers will fit to replace the 8" ones on my 2004 1m? 159" if it makes a difference.

BRP QSC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just measure the inner diameter of the bearing and the outerdiameter of the wheel itself and you should be good to go.
Its not the first time that i have heard this and have been out a few times where peoplke have lost wheels and idlers due to bearing failure.

My sled gets new bearings every two seasons... there easy to change and not that expensive. cheap insurance i guess

CrosbyStills

Reaction score
I'd have to go to BC Bearings (or similar) to find new ones anyway. The stock axle is .787", but when I bought the sled it had a 2 wheel kit on it with a 1" axle. PITA if you ask me. Looking around to see if I can find a used stock assembly (which I'll put new bearings on DEFINITELY) just for that reason. I'm not worried about the weight reduction, would rather know I don't have to get towed out 5km lol.

I've been looking at it more, it looks like it might not work, just because the tension slider groove on the new chassis is a lot smaller, so the newer axle might work but I'd have to figure out something else to tension it...

CrosbyStills

Reaction score
So on a side note, pulled the belt when I was getting towed back to the staging area. When I got back I started it to ride it onto the trailer, but completely forgot to put the belt back on. Revved up over 9000 before I remembered. Shut it down and the primary is seized closed. Any quick fixes for that? Tell me I haven't cooked the damn thing...

CrosbyStills

Reaction score
Well couldn't find anything locally (without waiting a few weeks to order). Luckily got down to Kalispell and found some aftermarket wheels with the correct 6205s. Going to be a good weekend after all!

A few heavy whacks with a deadblow "fixed" the clutch. :cool:

Top Bottom