Hum from track or???

C of Red

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Late last year I tagged a rock. It hit fairly hard on the front of the track. Shortly after my sled had a significant hum. The hum produces a major vibration that can be easily felt through my feet. It is very noticeable. Initially I thought I bent a rail. I crawled under that day and again today and everything looks in line. What else could it be?

Track is a little loose but certainly not bad.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Curtis

C of Red

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It didn't look like it but it's hard to tell. The drivers are lining up good with the track windows but I supose that doesn't really mean anything. I suppose it wouldn't take much of a bend. I will try to get in there better tomorrow for a second look. I hope not because that sounds expensive. Lol

Last edited:

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would pull the skid and look at it, I have seen bent rails before that were hard to see when the skid is in the sled

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would pull the skid and look at it, I have seen bent rails before that were hard to see when the skid is in the sled

I second this. Its alot easier to get a good lookat everything when its not covered by track and tunnel. I had a slight bend in the lower arm my limiter strap connects to which puled my rails together slightly which caused just about the same issues. Is there any damage to your track that could be causing it to rub the tunnel?

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would think a vibration would be something rotating. When you have the skid out checking the rails have a good look at the driveshaft. It wouldn't take much for it to vibrate.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My xm vibrates on certain days with ice in the tunnel and build up. I wonder if you had that happen and because of your heightened Awareness from hitting a rock you really noticed the vibration. There were days I thought something was seriously wrong with my sled due to vibrations from ice on the insides of my tunnel. Just a thought

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My xm vibrates on certain days with ice in the tunnel and build up. I wonder if you had that happen and because of your heightened Awareness from hitting a rock you really noticed the vibration. There were days I thought something was seriously wrong with my sled due to vibrations from ice on the insides of my tunnel. Just a thought
Yes mine too

Get into good snow and no vibration

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you got aftermarket aluminum wheels they will vibrate like crazy. Or you could of broke a fibreglass rod in your track that might cause it. I would think a bent drive shaft you would feel it more then hear it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C of Red

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback. It physically vibrates enough that it almost put my feet to sleep. Something is definitely wrong. A closer look today has some wear on the drivers (both). But the sled has over 2000 miles so I would expect wear, shouldn't I?

I have the vibration on the trail and in the deep snow.

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont know much bout xm's ...

clips on tracks somehow get badly bent and chew out drivers and hyfax ... rock strike we always think but no one remembers a big rock hit.

if you were talking older (like my rt1000) a sled a hit on the chain case housing has ruined peoples day and a light hit can cause chain to rub on housing.

look for wear on hyfax and drivers related to clips me thinks ...

is track rubbing on tunnel. should be easy to see.

its hard to see in under tunnel up front but drop the track and let us know ...

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check your rails like mentioned above. Pull it out to inspect it.

Also a perfect time to check wheel brgs and bushings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

C of Red

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I couldn't find anything bent or out of alignment. Rails looked fine as did the driveshaft. Took it to the local Doo dealer and they tell my the vibration was coming from the clutch. Not sure how that would happen. Said they adjusted something and there will be less vibration now. Also said the clutches should be completely serviced but that they would be fine for the year.

Not sure what to think of that diagnosis.

Top Bottom