How to secure sleds, quads and trailers from theft!

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
Being a Certified Master Locksmith and owner of (2) Calgary & Edmonton based Alarm Companies, I thought I would chime in and offer a few tips on what you folks can do to secure your toys and your trailers both at home, and when travelling to your favorite play destination.

As a sledder and an owner of a few toys I know what it's like when I see posts where people have lost their trailers and quite often their hard earned toys. I see it all the time in my industry and with that being said, I thought I'd post a few links for security products to help some of you from falling victim to theft.

• Boot/Wheel Locks for Trailers

• Economy Priced Boot/Wheel Lock for Trailers

• Receiver Locks from Master

• Coupler Locks from Master

• Coupler Latch Locks from Master

• Steering Wheel Locks for your Tow Rig

• Cables to Secure your Toys or Lock your Trailer to Towing Rig

• Padlocks to Secure Cables and Lock Down Vehicles

Of course these are just a few examples of the locks to secure your trailers and ball/pins on your hitch setups, and there are many more brands/products to take this further. Personally, I always use a wheel lock on my trailer if it's ever loaded with toys and it only takes a few minutes to put it on and take it off. I use a pin lock and receiver locks to secure the hitch at all times and have the locks on my trailer keyed alike so one key fits everything.

When parked at a hotel while sledding, I will always secure the boot to the trailer, lock both the pin and receiver, and also add a high security 6' cable securing the trailer to the truck with a cutproof high security lock. I always use high quality medeco locks that are very hard to cut or pick open and know that my rig will not disappear without some thief going through a lot of effort and making a lot of noise in the process.

It is also wise to secure your tow vehicle with an alarm and steering wheel lock as a real pro will steal the whole vehicle with trailer if the trailer is not an easy score. Todays alarm systems have fuel system and ignition immobilzers so even if a would be thief can get around the electronic ignition, they still can't start the vehicle. One can also add an anti theft GPS device to track the vehicle and or the trailer if it's stolen. Yes that's right, you can secure a trailer with a 12volt GPS tracker and most thieve's wouldn't even know it's there until their caught or discovered.

While some may laugh at one going to these measures, I can assure you that these steps will often protect your toys both in the field and at the hotel while some other unsuspecting victim will lose their toys and or rigs because of their lack of effort to secure their rigs. You have to think like a thief to stop one, and by deploying these measures, you'll keep your investments safe and sound, or possibly catch some in the act.

I always secure my trailer and toys when at home or stored in the shop by locking the sleds and quads up with high security padlocks and cables anchored to concrete docking points. The shop is also alarmed so that any unsuspecting thief who wants to try and gain entry is met with me coming out to inflict an a$$ whooping. If it ever happens that one gains entry, they'll quickly learn that the toys are secured far beyond their means while an alarm is blaring, neighbors are alerted, and I hope they smile as I have also secured my shop with CCTV cameras and a Digital Video Recorder.

Take the proper steps to secure your toys people, and fun will always be available when you want it. If not, then get good insurance! If anyone on the forum wants a good deal on trailer locks, alarms, cameras or wheel locks, get in touch with me as I will always offer a good price to fellow sledders if they need someone to set them up properly with security.

Hope this advice helps a few of you. Don't be a fraid to talk to your local locksmith shop if you need quality trailer locks keyed alike for one key operation. We do this stuff all the time and carry many popular brands including Master and Medeco.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Great Thread.....Thanks.

I think I'll have to do some X-mas shopping for myself soon.

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
Good info. Thanks

Do you have a store front?

I have a storefront but we're not open to the public as we specialize in high security systems and commercial integration. The company is Contract Security Inc. and I should let you guys know I am not here trying to drum up business, just trying to raise awareness and help someone from loosing their trailer or toys. My main market is commercial electronic security and camera systems but I will do my best to help out anyone who needs me to supply locks or provide a hand picking the right locks for your needs.

You can reach me through my website linked above. Phone numbers also on the contact page.

Catchme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Graeme. This is great information. After reading this I sat back with a pen and paper and was shocked after adding up the value of what is inside a trailer. All those little things that add up on top of the price of the sleds. Oil, superclamps, helmets etc. This is the lock I use on my coupler latch and now I'm thinking it's not heavy enough. Any recommendations and retailers in the Red Deer area?

Attachments

• catalog_1058_2847DAT.jpg
    catalog_1058_2847DAT.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 547

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
See Kevin and Red Deer Lock & Safe

Red Deer Lock & Safe Ltd
1-6264 67aSt
Ph (403)343-1391

Tell him you want something better with an ACE tubular key and maybe a better pin lock with a high security core and restricted key. He's a good guy and should give you options. He likely carries a wheel lock from Tru Lock as well. Maybe give him a call in advance and ask what he has.

powerteker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Graeme. This is great information. After reading this I sat back with a pen and paper and was shocked after adding up the value of what is inside a trailer. All those little things that add up on top of the price of the sleds. Oil, superclamps, helmets etc. This is the lock I use on my coupler latch and now I'm thinking it's not heavy enough. Any recommendations and retailers in the Red Deer area?

I was lookin at this lock the other day I broke the little plastic part in my hand so I threw the garbage back on the shelf! Get urself a new lock that one is junk.

storch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have that lock and yes I think it is time to upgrade. Not a very strong
looking lock. Better than no lock but for someone who knows what they
are doing could probably have that lock off in know time.
Good thread thanks for all the good tips

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
Here's a link to who make some decent trailer locks. It is an offshore product but some of their stuff is pretty decent. Have a look and let me know if there's something you need.

powerteker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have that lock and yes I think it is time to upgrade. Not a very strong
looking lock. Better than no lock but for someone who knows what they
are doing could probably have that lock off in know time.
Good thread thanks for all the good tips

1 pair of plyers and about 15 sec to rip that off

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So - to the security folks then:

What's the thought on using a GPS tracker on the trailer? Anyone doing this? What are some good brands? Do you guys deal with this kind of device?

Thinking of getting one for my wife's car, but also wondering about having one for the sled trailer. Wanted to see if anyone uses one on their trailer.

Dzl

Reaction score
So - to the security folks then:

What's the thought on using a GPS tracker on the trailer? Anyone doing this? What are some good brands? Do you guys deal with this kind of device?

Thinking of getting one for my wife's car, but also wondering about having one for the sled trailer. Wanted to see if anyone uses one on their trailer.

Talk to the folks at CTS. Thay have a full line of customizable tracking solutions for you. 780-391-3800. Tracking equipment/assets of all shapes and sizes are what they specialize in.

blair155

Reaction score
Hey,Is locking your wheel to the frame with a heavy duty cable a good Idea? Think its as secure as a boot?

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey,Is locking your wheel to the frame with a heavy duty cable a good Idea? Think its as secure as a boot?

Good Question. I've been doing this too. Cable with barrel locks through both rims in the trailer then around the leaf springs. Do you know if these are effective?

I've been using this to secure the sleds while locked on the trailer. Through the sleds suspension then down through holes in the trailer deck. Alarms if the lock is tampered or the cable is cut.

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
Fact is there are a lot of good ways to secure trailers and assets, and no idea is a bad one if it adds a decent level of security. I have locked trailer wheels together by looping a long high security cable through them and then locking it up and it works well. Just don't use a great cable and then secure it with a $12.00 padlock if you get me drift. One of the best padlocks to use is a 3" Disk padlock (Discus by Abus is the best) which have hardened steel housings and shrouded bolts so it isn't easily cut. That or get a pro padlock from your local locksmith who sell Medeco Padlocks. They are expensive at just over $100.00 each but cannot be picked, drilled or cut with 3' bolt cutters.

As for GPS devices, alarm companies can install them but you then pay a fee to have them monitored through a central station. At anytime, you can call the station or login through software to check the assets locations. We can also install sirens in the trailers to sound when they are moved when it's armed but this is an expensive solution better suited for trailers that store cigarettes or electronics.

Dzl's response above is a perfect solution for a toy hauler trailer. You basically buy a vehicle GPS tracker and install it in the bulkhead. They are tiny and run off 12V systems. Most of the GPS companies will have a couple dealers in each city that sell and install them everyday (just google GPS. You then pay a subscriber fee which tracks the vehicle or trailer in real time and provides you a web based login to get details such as where it is, how fast it's moving and co-ordinates to it within a couple feet. If stolen, the trick is to track it before it's defeated and or abandoned...quite often emptied of goods.

Here's a link to some helpful info with pricing. Trailer setups for enclosed trailers is $400.00 for hardware an $25.00 monthly.

Catchme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
See Kevin and Red Deer Lock & Safe

Red Deer Lock & Safe Ltd
1-6264 67aSt
Ph (403)343-1391

Tell him you want something better with an ACE tubular key and maybe a better pin lock with a high security core and restricted key. He's a good guy and should give you options. He likely carries a wheel lock from Tru Lock as well. Maybe give him a call in advance and ask what he has.

Picked up a set of Trimax locks at Hitch Depot in Red Deer. I tried Red Deer Lock & Safe and Kevin wasn't in. Junior behind the desk there with all the jewelry pierced in his face was quite disgusted with my questions and just wanted to get back to reading his newspaper.

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used to work for a oilfield survey company and we had gps on all the trucks. The crews were always out in the middle of the bush and the trucks were always loaded with quads/sleds and really expensive survey gear. So, the company used them for safety and security.

If the trucks weren't back within a certain radius of a town by a certain time our logistics guy was notified (via txt msg I believe), so he could follow up and make sure they were ok. He could also log on to the internet and check where the truck is and when it last moved.

We also had a few trucks stolen and the gps worked great. Our logistics guy would give the location, speed and direction to the RCMP and they'd go get it back for us. Sometimes the quads/sleds would still be there, sometimes they wouldn't, but we still always got our trucks back and I believe one or twice they caught the punks still driving them.

I really don't think you want to cheap out when it comes to safety or security. Pay the extra money and protect yourself and your gear.

Thanks GasCan for all the info.

Last edited:

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have got a locked hitch, locked trailer pin, locked trailer doors. But holy smokes here my choice is to lock it for the honest guys. But I have full coverage on my things.

I know I would be Choked if i get taken but there comes a time to not let worry me. Insurance pays me out dont forget to take photos of youre stuff and lots of them so if it does happen you got pictures.

One other point is go to your broker and un cover all the unknowns so you know what youre paying for before it is too late. Dont jump on me here but i dont get bent out of shape on this. i pay for my toys just like the rest of u.

Dzl

Reaction score
Dzl's response above is a perfect solution for a toy hauler trailer. You basically buy a vehicle GPS tracker and install it in the bulkhead. They are tiny and run off 12V systems. Most of the GPS companies will have a couple dealers in each city that sell and install them everyday (just google GPS. You then pay a subscriber fee which tracks the vehicle or trailer in real time and provides you a web based login to get details such as where it is, how fast it's moving and co-ordinates to it within a couple feet. If stolen, the trick is to track it before it's defeated and or abandoned...quite often emptied of goods.

CTS has a self powered solution that requires no external power source. I've seen these used on bobcats, boats, and trailers. It's basically a call in and track scenario if the user finds his asset gone. The device sends packets of into via satellite and is stored for recovery. I believe they are working on a waterproof system designed for boats/atv's and specialized equipment. Again the folks at CTS have detailed info on this. I'm familiar with a lot of their products but short on cost details etc...

Top Bottom