How did your intro to sledding go?

Timber_12

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heya all, So I'm hoping to get my girlfriend out this sunday if everything all works out, and I thought I'd see if my friend wanted to bring his wife along for a ride (She doesn't ride, but has expressed interest in going riding). They have a birthday party to go to, but then after a couple minutes of texting, he mentions that he'd probably be able to go. Then fairly quick he adds that another friend of ours would be up for going.

Both of these guys are riding BB's and are good riders. My girlfriend is very new to powersports, and last year was her first year of riding ever. We've only managed to get out once so far this year so she hasn't gotten time to build her confidence up, and isn't a naturally aggressive rider to begin with.

In the past I've been 200% perfect with taking her to the meadows and following her around, getting her unstuck and pretty much designing the ride for HER. I didn't go climb anything and made sure she had a good time. Until the first ride out with her this year. It was all four of us (her, I, and the same two friends) we went riding, and I stuck by her probably 80-85% of the time. Every now and then we'd go up a creek and she said she didn't mind waiting, (she helped get us unstuck when we only made it 40' from the trail) and she was a great sport about it, but I still felt that there were times that she might have enjoyed it more if it was like the previous trips. No pressure to go where she didn't want, no feeling of holding the group back, not feeling useless when everyone helps get her unstuck (which none of the guys minded at all), and just going at her own pace.

So it got me to wondering, what was it like for your first times out and through your learning curves?

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heya all, So I'm hoping to get my girlfriend out this sunday if everything all works out, and I thought I'd see if my friend wanted to bring his wife along for a ride (She doesn't ride, but has expressed interest in going riding). They have a birthday party to go to, but then after a couple minutes of texting, he mentions that he'd probably be able to go. Then fairly quick he adds that another friend of ours would be up for going.

Both of these guys are riding BB's and are good riders. My girlfriend is very new to powersports, and last year was her first year of riding ever. We've only managed to get out once so far this year so she hasn't gotten time to build her confidence up, and isn't a naturally aggressive rider to begin with.

In the past I've been 200% perfect with taking her to the meadows and following her around, getting her unstuck and pretty much designing the ride for HER. I didn't go climb anything and made sure she had a good time. Until the first ride out with her this year. It was all four of us (her, I, and the same two friends) we went riding, and I stuck by her probably 80-85% of the time. Every now and then we'd go up a creek and she said she didn't mind waiting, (she helped get us unstuck when we only made it 40' from the trail) and she was a great sport about it, but I still felt that there were times that she might have enjoyed it more if it was like the previous trips. No pressure to go where she didn't want, no feeling of holding the group back, not feeling useless when everyone helps get her unstuck (which none of the guys minded at all), and just going at her own pace.

So it got me to wondering, what was it like for your first times out and through your learning curves?

Hahaha aha!!! You are a friggen saint ... My first ride out on my Turbo Phazer in Nordegg with another couple: we start into about 4 ft of fresh and I immediately get planted. Husband responds with: "get your ass off the seat and your thumb on the throttle!". Mmmmmmkay.....

We make it about 30kms without much stuckage on my part, and I'm just about to bank a corner on a tight turn and the stupid pig sled flops on it's side. I go to try and push it back over (as if that was gonna happen!) and notice flames licking up the clutch side. Suddenly I have vivid recollections of my husband putting race fuel in the sled that morning and all those action movies with large explosions flash into my mind. I start to book 'er and wait for blast impact. About 10 feet away I hear my husband yelling: "Shut it off! Shut it off!". I run back and hit the kill switch and get a brainwave that snow might put the fire out.... Duh HH!!!! We shovel snow and put the fire out with little damage.

Soooo, we go farther into this ridiculous trip bcz according to our leader it's faster than turning back. Twice more the sled lights on fire. My left pant leg is melted. My husband is in a right foul mood and very little talking is taking place. Night falls and we are still trucking... Moon comes up. Lines get tighter. Trees across the line now and we are lifting sleds over trees that are too high to go over and too low to go under. We finally emerge at our destination which is absolutely nowhere (a deserted cabin) and proceed to ride 30 kms of road back to the truck and trailer, the smell of burning sliders permeating the night air... Needless to say, it was a stressful first experience, but we made it!

It took my husband a few rides to get over becoming tense and snappy whenever I got stuck. Pretty soon the soundtrack was: "Go up there, or do this, and I will come and rescue you!" Nowadays it's 100% encouragement and "woohoo"!! whenever I try something (except that time i got stuck and he couldnt find me and he thought I said "helicopter" over the radio!! Oops!) Usually my antics are followed by laughter and it has truly evolved into something we love to do together.

Sledding itself has a steep learning curve, but the addictive nature of the sport helps most newbies keep pushing their skills further. It really sounds like you are more than considerate of your gf and if she truly likes the sport, she will get over the stucks, and the fear of holding up the group. Soon, she will grow more comfortable with the throttle and just ride for pure enjoyment. You are doing everything right. Kudos to you for being so patient with her.

Last edited:

DragonDiva

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My first trip wasn't as bad as Sledmamma's. We unloaded in Crowsnest Pass 2 brand new 08 Dragons. I had NEVER ridden a sled before even on prairie. Took off with a good friend from CNP. Within 20 minutes, I roll it down into a little ravine and used my head to stop it from rolling further. I actually was under the sled with the one ski across the top of my helmet. After an hour of digging and having our friend ride it out, we spent the rest of the day riding trails. Later that night, I had said to husband that it was a good thing we bought these things cause if not I would run them up is a@s but tomorrow will be a different day. It was somewhat better but the learning curve is steep with sledding and riding with a group that is patient for her to learn is the best part. Our friend is the most patient guy with newbies but that comes with the 20 years of sled guiding he has done.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had booted around the flatlands with farm sleds when I was young. A little bit of ditch banging but nothing really extreme stuff. Fast forward into a few years ago. Holy Moley steep learning curve Batman. I was super blessed to have the most wonderful sled bros ever. They taught me, basically crash coursed me, into mountain riding. Everytime I'd get down on myself, they'd laugh and tell me to pick my bottom lip off the snow. They laughed at my antics and encouraged me. My husband is pretty funny. Sometimes they call him bitchy balls, as he gives me chit when I make a mistake. They make him step back and have some perspective, reminding him that the terrain we ride in is harsh and demanding even for men. He does give me huge props for always trying. No matter what, if he says he figures I can make it I'll try. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't, but guaranteed I learn every time out.

Please encourage your girlfriend to get out of her comfort zone. Even if she gets stuck, the more content she is waiting for you while you play, the less she'll actually believe she can do it. She will convince herself she is not able to play like you do. Help her to push and use humor to help lower her self doubt. She doesn't have to be aggressive, she just has to believe she can do it. To picture it. The women I've been helping out who aren't the most aggressive riders actually turn out to be super good technical riders. They need to have the task broken down into pieces before them so they can actually understand how specific tasks or manouvers will work. For example.. When you start going up that climb, jump onto your left running board.. this will help you to stay on the sidehill path I've laid before you. Helping her to understand the throttle techniques will be awesome too. Lots of people will say.. Just WOT. But for someone who is well thought out, they need to know WHEN to giver, when to feather, etc.. . WOT doesn't make sense, and the feeling of a lack of control can be frightening.

Have a wonderful time riding

Momma :)

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just to show you an example of their patience with me..

Picture one.. creek Crossing where I proceeded to Run over Mark... who still loves me to this day..
trishincreekruningovermark.jpg

Learning to Carve... Total faceplant with my big pouty fat lip and entire head in the snow.
trishbuckedoff.jpg

The beginning of my long term relationship with trees. Broke my helmet visor on this one
trishtreem8.jpg

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Timber where ya thinking of going on Sunday? My wife and I are hoping to get out for a ride as well. She's pretty new to sledding as well and I'm sure she'd be pumped to have another lady to ride with.

groomergirl

Reaction score
I am another that grew up riding fields in the prairies as a kid. Much later in life as my body gave up on the downhill skiing we decided to take up sledding again. I am in my second year of riding mountain trails. Last year was shortened because of a knee replacement. I appreciate the comments from MOMMA, Sledmomma and dragondiva. I am trying to get my confidence up so that I can have fun plaing in the powder but it does take time, a lot of patience from your riding buddies and a willingness to help pull you out. I am very slow at gaining that confidence which is annoying for me as I was a pretty good downhill skier and I just wish I could get past all this and just get out and ride. My hubbie is ok, but we are both in our early 50's and so physically can't throw sleds around like we could in our younger days. We are fortunate when we ride with our son as he is always there to help pull his old mom out. Guess what I am saying is just keep encouraging, make sure she knows you are there to help her out and if she likes the outdoors I will bet in a few years she will be in the powder making turns right along beside you. At least that is what I am hoping will happen with me.

Skadi

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, this is a TOUGH question and I think the answer to how to do it best for your wife can only be decided by you (or those who know her well). Some women don't respond well to the testosterone fest that teaches men how to ride... They like a nurturing environment to learn in... HOWEVER, they HATE to feel like they're holding the group back! I think one of the best techniques I've heard was from Brandy. She said her riding group told her they would give her ONE YEAR and they would dig her out ALL year from any silly stick she had. HOWEVER, if she didn't improve hugely in that one year then they were done taking her... This was HUGE motivation to get better but also removed her doubts if she should go try something ya know?? So she would step outside of her comfort zone cause she knew she had to to get better but also cause the guys said they had her back.

The way I learned was a bit of a mix... I learned from guys who knew me well and who had thrown me a few rough sessions on my dirtbike. They knew I could take the testosterone fest and the usual 'c'mon sack up and ride damnit or we're just leaving you here and getting you on the way back!' comments... And they meant them. They toned their riding down a bit the first year but there were big boy rides I wasn't allowed to go on. I remember when they started taking me into the technical terrain there was one old boy on a crappy sled with a bad back... so he didn't mind hanging back with me if the going go tough... we would go as far as we could and then just hang out waiting for the rest of the guys to come back at the end of the day! Each ride I made it farther and farther until I finally felt good enough to drop that next ridge.... It was pretty much on from there...

The guys I rode with were patient in that I knew they cared to have me along or they wouldn't have invited me. I didn't feel like they HAD to take me so if I got the invite they knew what they were dealing with! They would often tell me areas where I could NOT go and if I couldn't make the line turning out wasn't an option.... so sometimes I just wasn't good enough to attempt it; and they would taunt me from the top and then go on without me...

If we would have stayed in the meadows forever I would have never got better... but I needed to have a buddy who could stay with me and I needed to adjust my own attitude that sometimes I just wasn't good enough!

Another thing that really helped is when the guys were building a trail to get into somewhere they would actually build a trail. they could all sidehill across a face like crazy and make it but there is no way I would have made it behind them... so they stayed ont he same trail and built single track until they got to a play area where they didn't have to worry about me!

get her out riding with some other ladies if you can... giggling on the mtn with your GF is FUN! will help seal the deal that she gets addicted to the sport! Also, try to have days where she is out with some people of like ability. Days where she is over her head are fine and she needs to learn that too but then have days where she can feel a little less intimidated and have some 'buddies' who are learning along with her. You'd be surprised the stuff you've forgotten to tell her cause it comes naturally to you! Other people similar in ability or just a little bit better might have JUST learned a technique so it's fresh in their mind!

One tip that my buddies taught me that SOOOOO few people remember to pass on.... If you're following someone's single track across an open face with lots of ugly stuff below it. Instinct for her is to get her ski as HIGH as she can and most likely put it in the SKI track of the person (or people) who went before... What she will want to do is actually put her ski into the TRACK mark and therefore level her sled out and make it easier to follow a trail... (A lot of better riders don't follow a trail anymore but if you want to build a trail for her to follow this is a good thing to pass on to her cause it's not as intuitive as you think when her nerves get to going and she looks down the hill at the places she doesn't want to go!!)

best of luck, have fun, make sure she knows EVERYONE screws up and that is the ONLY way to get better... But that she also shouldn't push her limits to the point of completely totaling her sled or hurting herself... challenging herself on a hill at a play area rather than above a ravine that leads to a waterfall for instance! ;) but ALWAYS challenging herself if she wants to get better... If not, you need to understand that and let her just hang out on the sled... Some people do not have the drive to really push their sledding limits! and that is fine too! For some people just getting out and enjoying the outdoors is good enough!

Last edited:

Skadi

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
fun hearing about first rides... I don't remember my first ride ever, must not have been too memorable... but I do remember the learning process and how much i LONGED to be good enough to keep going, keep following the guys!! and how on each trip I made it one snow drift farther up the ridge of our 'backcountry goods' where I grew up... and then it was the top of the ridge and on to attack the next one, getting a little farther each time!! It was cool to learn to ride in that area and kinda map my progress!

poo88

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, this is a TOUGH question and I think the answer to how to do it best for your wife can only be decided by you (or those who know her well). Some women don't respond well to the testosterone fest that teaches men how to ride... They like a nurturing environment to learn in... HOWEVER, they HATE to feel like they're holding the group back! I think one of the best techniques I've heard was from Brandy. She said her riding group told her they would give her ONE YEAR and they would dig her out ALL year from any silly stick she had. HOWEVER, if she didn't improve hugely in that one year then they were done taking her... This was HUGE motivation to get better but also removed her doubts if she should go try something ya know?? So she would step outside of her comfort zone cause she knew she had to to get better but also cause the guys said they had her back.

The way I learned was a bit of a mix... I learned from guys who knew me well and who had thrown me a few rough sessions on my dirtbike. They knew I could take the testosterone fest and the usual 'c'mon sack up and ride damnit or we're just leaving you here and getting you on the way back!' comments... And they meant them. They toned their riding down a bit the first year but there were big boy rides I wasn't allowed to go on. I remember when they started taking me into the technical terrain there was one old boy on a crappy sled with a bad back... so he didn't mind hanging back with me if the going go tough... we would go as far as we could and then just hang out waiting for the rest of the guys to come back at the end of the day! Each ride I made it farther and farther until I finally felt good enough to drop that next ridge.... It was pretty much on from there...

The guys I rode with were patient in that I knew they cared to have me along or they wouldn't have invited me. I didn't feel like they HAD to take me so if I got the invite they knew what they were dealing with! They would often tell me areas where I could NOT go and if I couldn't make the line turning out wasn't an option.... so sometimes I just wasn't good enough to attempt it; and they would taunt me from the top and then go on without me...

If we would have stayed in the meadows forever I would have never got better... but I needed to have a buddy who could stay with me and I needed to adjust my own attitude that sometimes I just wasn't good enough!

Another thing that really helped is when the guys were building a trail to get into somewhere they would actually build a trail. they could all sidehill across a face like crazy and make it but there is no way I would have made it behind them... so they stayed ont he same trail and built single track until they got to a play area where they didn't have to worry about me!

get her out riding with some other ladies if you can... giggling on the mtn with your GF is FUN! will help seal the deal that she gets addicted to the sport! Also, try to have days where she is out with some people of like ability. Days where she is over her head are fine and she needs to learn that too but then have days where she can feel a little less intimidated and have some 'buddies' who are learning along with her. You'd be surprised the stuff you've forgotten to tell her cause it comes naturally to you! Other people similar in ability or just a little bit better might have JUST learned a technique so it's fresh in their mind!

One tip that my buddies taught me that SOOOOO few people remember to pass on.... If you're following someone's single track across an open face with lots of ugly stuff below it. Instinct for her is to get her ski as HIGH as she can and most likely put it in the SKI track of the person (or people) who went before... What she will want to do is actually put her ski into the TRACK mark and therefore level her sled out and make it easier to follow a trail... (A lot of better riders don't follow a trail anymore but if you want to build a trail for her to follow this is a good thing to pass on to her cause it's not as intuitive as you think when her nerves get to going and she looks down the hill at the places she doesn't want to go!!)

best of luck, have fun, make sure she knows EVERYONE screws up and that is the ONLY way to get better... But that she also shouldn't push her limits to the point of completely totaling her sled or hurting herself... challenging herself on a hill at a play area rather than above a ravine that leads to a waterfall for instance! ;) but ALWAYS challenging herself if she wants to get better... If not, you need to understand that and let her just hang out on the sled... Some people do not have the drive to really push their sledding limits! and that is fine too! For some people just getting out and enjoying the outdoors is good enough!

Your a pretty good sport lol.. I couldn't imagine leavin a girl behind.. Be too scared to come back an be met with a thick branch in the goggles on the trail down or somethin haha.. To be honest tho I haven't met a girl in this sport that is legitimately into it thats a bad sport.. An its always nice to have someone to show off to a lil ;) lol

Sent from a phone likely at work

Skadi

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
funny you should say that about the showing off bit. I really did feel that although I didn't bring the BEST skill set to the table back in the day I did bring SOMETHING to the group and that's why they brought me along... sometimes it was laughter (at me) and sometimes it was TOTALLY showing off in front of me! I wasn't romantically involved with any of the guys but they did totally enjoy showing off in front of me, just brought a little more fun factor to the sport for them... Timber... make sure your wife realizes what she brings to the table ya know?? whatever it may be (if you plan some REALLY yummy meals to put in the cooker so she feels loved when she pulls those out?? make sure she knows the guys actually DIG having someone around who hasn't seen all their tricks or heard all their stories... she may be the weak link in certain groups but she's also a fresh face and that brings a whole new (and often FUN) element to the group!!! Worth a lot in my eyes!! (and I know it was worth a lot in the eyes of the guys I rode with back in the day too!)

About being a good sport... yeah, it was be that or have no one to ride with!! The guys who taught me knew I could take it and I knew that if I tried to be a snot about it they would say, fine, stay at home and don't even get half way in! I always had the means to build a fire and just hang out and sometimes someone else would get tired of blow their sled up or whatever and I would have company! :)

poo88

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yah tons of laughter lol cuz they r always just as competative as anyone of us guys so wen someone gets stuck or watever it gets pretty interesting lol.. An havin someone to show off to a bit IMO makes me a better rider cuz it makes me go a lil bigger or get out of my comfort zone a lil more than I normally would

Skadi

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yup! and a buddy of mine once said helping teach me made him a better rider cause he had to think about how he was doing it and explain it to me... and to ride more 'on purpose' ya know? plus he said he got in better shape helping dig me out!!

so there are tons of ideas you can tell you girl for why the group WANTS her to come along so she doesn't feel so intimidated on those days where she's pushing her comfort zone and out with 'the big dogs'!

poo88

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yah I know wat yah mean.. I never even realized I was counter steering until someone asked an I had to think about it lol.. An yah I def would if I could find one that was remotely interested in sleddin.. Apparently a pretty rare breed lol

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yah I know wat yah mean.. I never even realized I was counter steering until someone asked an I had to think about it lol.. An yah I def would if I could find one that was remotely interested in sleddin.. Apparently a pretty rare breed lol

Nah... not a rare Breed, there are quite a few of us out there, and many who just need the right start. About bringing something to the table.. Humor for sure. I have many patented moves which induce laughter, and my sense of humor is whacked so my sled guys and I always got along great. I always packed extra food, and bought beer after if I was an incredible pain in the arse. lol.

poo88

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nah... not a rare Breed, there are quite a few of us out there, and many who just need the right start. About bringing something to the table.. Humor for sure. I have many patented moves which induce laughter, and my sense of humor is whacked so my sled guys and I always got along great. I always packed extra food, and bought beer after if I was an incredible pain in the arse. lol.
Would one of them patented moves be when u kissed your front bumper an stuck the landing? haha or was that someone else?.. Cant remember off the top of my head now lol.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would one of them patented moves be when u kissed your front bumper an stuck the landing? haha or was that someone else?.. Cant remember off the top of my head now lol.

Yup!! That would be one of my super Trish moves.. lol

powderpilot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tons of good comments and suggestions from the ladies!! We ride with tons of different people throughout the season and I always try to be mindful of other people's riding abilities. We ride within the weakest person's comfort level, that way no one gets left behind. Sometimes that means I set the trail while the guys go haywire, but as long as the group sticks together and has a great time I'm happy.

Another tip to make things easier on your girl is send her up the hill closer to the front of the pack so she doesn't end up riding a bunch of trenches or having to stop in a sketchy spot because there's three guys stuck in front of her.

Women definitely need a more nurturing approach. Riding with other ladies could really help. Also, telling her to try, helping her decide which line to hit, and telling her you think she can do it might be enough to boost her confidence enough to try. Just make sure she knows it's ok to stick it if she gets scared and that you'll be there to bail her out every time, no questions asked, and please no yelling LOL.

Skadi

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ugh, trenches! SOOOO true amy!! it's a chicks 'instinct' to go last cause she doesn't want to screw up in front of the guys and she doesn't want them to see her possibly mess it up... this can make her life SOOO much tougher. Especially if the guys aren't IMPECCABLE riders who are being VERY mindful not to trench! Don't be afraid to kinda reserve a sport near the front, like 2-3 back, and hold the other guys back just by positioning your sled and give her the nod to go next.... makes it seem like less of a big deal if you're kinda 'mindful' about where she is at in the 'pack' but not yelling and screaming at the guys to wait and let her go ya know? that would only embarrass her (it would anyone for that matter!!)

Top Bottom