House Occupancy?

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I was planning on building a 12 bedroom house for my employees to stay in.
Free of charge.

Got approval from the municipality as a single family dwelling.

Meets building code and fire code.

Now the inspections group has come back and said because they are my employees, not related individuals, that it needs to be a commercial building.

FML

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is a dangerous route, try to evict them once they have been fired. Now your landlord/tenant court dealing with that nonsense and because your letting them stay for free they can actually file for dependancecy.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guys that rent out houses.
Are they considered residential or commercial?

Do you have to check on occupancy or relation between occupants?

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's got to be a way to do it, there's lots of crew houses around here. I'm sure if its written as a condition of employment or something you would be covered if they tried to squat in the house.

Some one has to know the answers. But I do see the point that 12 units in a house could be considered a commercial building for rent.

Bikeswithtrax

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Slippery slope letting them stay free so be careful and make them sign an employment contract that clearly states they can be evicted anytime for any reason...and if fired they must be out within one hour.
I rent house and them rent back to my employees, and I own some homes I rent to them as well. I have a very concise contract they have to sign, and they also all pay rent. Once you start down the road into squatting rights you are going to be bent over and they will not be gentle.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Slippery slope letting them stay free so be careful and make them sign an employment contract that clearly states they can be evicted anytime for any reason...and if fired they must be out within one hour.
I rent house and them rent back to my employees, and I own some homes I rent to them as well. I have a very concise contract they have to sign, and they also all pay rent. Once you start down the road into squatting rights you are going to be bent over and they will not be gentle.
Got it.
$10/ month and a rock solid contract.

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In whistler there are tonnes of staff houses. When i worked at sunshine they deducted 90 bucks a week from our paycheques for "living accomodation" and gave us a bed in a local hostel or could live on mountain. If you deduct from their paycheque a small amount wouldnt it be same thing?

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think that is the differentiating factor.. I'm pretty sure that you have to charge renters something so it separates you so they are not dependant. Talk to your acct and see what works for both sides. My 2c.

Top Bottom