HMF Pipe and Optimizer

cookn

Reaction score
I am interested in running the HMF utility series or the Penland Pro series with the optimizer on my 2008 renegade X. Any problems or comments about which pipe is better, quality, bang for buck etc. I’m somewhat worried about adjusting the air to fuel ratio. Anyone experience engine problems from this mod? How often do you have to make adjustments with changes in altitude and temperature?

funinsno

Reaction score
Go see Kristi at Bow Cycle South. I ordered a HMF utility + a quiet core for my 650 outlander this week she called me the next day to say it had showed up. Now thats FAST!

H2O

Reaction score
I run a HMF quiet core slip-on on my 08 outlander 800 XT without any fuel programmer and so far so good. I don't think that the slip-on that I am running will change fuel trim enough to add a programmer.
Please let me know if I am wrong??
They claim only a 1-3 hp increase, however the sound is awesome. Not much louder than stock.

MoAb Racing

Reaction score
You will have problems in the long run by running without a programmer. Yes it is running lean without a programmer, it wont blow up instantly but over time the extra heat from running lean will affect the life of your motor.

Sweigh

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have heard the same thing.. Granted, it does depend on the machine, but if you got the extra cash a programmer sounds like the way to go. I picked up a PC3, and am just waiting to finish my snorkel before I have it programmed.

doug13

Reaction score
hmf pipe good but if you use the power commander its tunable if you want to dyno your machine and get the most out of it:)

MoAb Racing

Reaction score
The one thing that the PC 3 does that the others dont, is the PC3 has the ability to lean it out more then the stock settings. If you are going to do motor mods like cams or a turbo a pc3 is a must. I have only tuned a few HMF programmers and they just add fuel. They have been typically fairly good compared to the older ones. They seem to run a tad bit rich at WOT (12.2:1 air/fuel) and you cant take away enuff fuel to get it in the "sweet spot" as far as the air/fuel mixture.

Top Bottom