HMF Penland VS Muzzy 750 Brute

Bruteskeg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey, the Hmf is a lot cheaper then the muzzy full system I was woundering, is it really worth the extra money to go out and buy the Muzzy over the HMF. I talked to a few guys that said for the price you cant beat the HMF, and that the Muzzy dose not really give you any noticable power increase over the HMF. I belive I can get a Hmf for around $400 the muzzy's will run me in the High 600- mid 700 range. Ohh yeah how much power do you guys thing you gaind by adding a pipe to your brutes ??

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did the pipe mod on mine. Cost me nothing. Sounds good and can be done by anyone with a mig welder. Takes about an hour to do.

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well its top secret :D Here we go and read it all before Atempting this mod.

TOOLS REQUIRED
Mig welder
Drill with 3/8" bit
1.5"ish hole saw
Grinder with zip disk and flapper disk(to clean up welds)
High heat black paint

1. Remove pipe from quad. (there is the 2 bolts at the back and 4 heat sheild bolts and the clamp)
2. Now that the pipe is off the quad, Cut the end of the pipe off at the weld.(Were it is about 4"around)
3. There is a total of 6 Spot welds that need to be removed.(grind them out and dont take to much as you have to refill them with weld or a peice of metal.)
4. Now there is the rear baffle(the first 3 spot welds) and it is connected to the end cap of the muffler. You completely remove that form the muffler.
5. There is 3 more spot welds(holds in the turbine plate). Remove this plate to get to the baffle chamber.
6. Now that you see a flat plate with 1 hole about 1" around, you take drill and drill 10-14 holes with a 3/8's bit. (i did 12 in mine and it sounds good, but still loud but not to loud)
7. Now that you have holes drilled, Take the turbine plate to the vise. And with a grinder and a zip disk(thin grinder disk) and extend the fins to the edge and curl them the same way they were there before.
8. Now that you have have turbine plate done, reinstall and weld in place.(A mig welder is the best for this cause its thin metal)
9. Now weld shut the other 3 spot welds that you ground out to get the noise baffle out.
10. Now your at the end cap. It is about a 3/4" hole and you want to make it so its about 1.5"(basically take a bi metal hole saw and cut out the center part of the tail pipe)
11. Now that the tail pipe/cap is done, weld back on to the pipe.
12. Re install pipe and tighten everything back down.
13. Start up and enjoy your new noise maker. I personaly think that this sounds close to the muzzy but a little louder, but a nice loud, not anoying.

IMPORTANT

Make sure you do a plug run to make sure you are not running lean. Since you are now allowing the exhaust to flow better, it will allow more air through the pipe and could lean the motor.I did not have to do any jet changes on mine but i did a plug run to make sure it was not lean.

I have movies of how my quad sounds if any one would like to see it. I can e-mail or will try to post in my video gally. And if anyone is interested in getting this done, i will do the mod for $50 plus you ship it to me.

Vandodger

Reaction score
be careful when doing this mod by not replacing the head pipes as the muzzy does only improves the exhaust flow from the rear cylinder. it may sound cool but this may (will) cause problems down the road:nono:

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
be careful when doing this mod by not replacing the head pipes as the muzzy does only improves the exhaust flow from the rear cylinder. it may sound cool but this may (will) cause problems down the road:nono:

Ya that it does. But if done properly, the muzzy will add alot more bottom end. But they need to be rejeted inorder to work right.

hogwild

Reaction score
i did that mod to my 06 750 and now it backfires through exhaust when i let of throtle, i also left the turbine plate out . think thats why it backfires?.

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i did that mod to my 06 750 and now it backfires through exhaust when i let of throtle, i also left the turbine plate out . think thats why it backfires?.

Ya mine does to a little. But it had to do with the rear cylinder. It was running to rich. Thats why it back fires. I personally like the sound of it over the muzzy and other brands. Main thing with this mod after its done, is when you let off the throttle, ease out, dont just let right off. I can control mine from back fire no problem. Im waiting to get my K&N so i can re jet.

hogwild

Reaction score
Ya mine does to a little. But it had to do with the rear cylinder. It was running to rich. Thats why it back fires. I personally like the sound of it over the muzzy and other brands. Main thing with this mod after its done, is when you let off the throttle, ease out, dont just let right off. I can control mine from back fire no problem. Im waiting to get my K&N so i can re jet.

did you rejet yet ? if so what jets did you use?. i am also putting k&n on. think i failed by leaving turbine out of my muffler?

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not yet. i will be doing it soon as i get the kit. I got a filter comin this week also, so now i just need the jet kit and i can get it all done.

hogwild

Reaction score
not yet. i will be doing it soon as i get the kit. I got a filter comin this week also, so now i just need the jet kit and i can get it all done.

whats vandodger talking about ? , have you done any clutching

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hes talkin about the muzzy system. The muzzy has equal length headers and you need to jet them both the same, but the best way to tune a brute after you install a muzzy is by wide ban 02 sensors. This way you can tell if your running rich or not.No i havent done my clutching yet(i got the parts, just to lazy). I got a marron primary and almond secondary for springs. I found that the kits only include springs anyway so its a 100 box in that case.Springs only cost me 60 bucks instead of 230 for a clutch kit.

hogwild

Reaction score
Hes talkin about the muzzy system. The muzzy has equal length headers and you need to jet them both the same, but the best way to tune a brute after you install a muzzy is by wide ban 02 sensors. This way you can tell if your running rich or not.No i havent done my clutching yet(i got the parts, just to lazy). I got a marron primary and almond secondary for springs. I found that the kits only include springs anyway so its a 100 box in that case.Springs only cost me 60 bucks instead of 230 for a clutch kit.

we are both headed the same direction , i also orderd marroon & almond . hopfully i will get them before the weekend so i can put my quad back together, tune it and see if it is all worth it

Top Bottom