Helmet durability

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my thoughts only, all snell rated or dot helmets meet or exceed these standards as the minimum. the safety factor in a helmet is all about the padding, graphics have no value whatsoever. snell rating was from one instituion that wanted higher than dot standards. i'd suggest zeebs buy one that is in your safety and price range with the best ratings you can find. as long as the fit is correct you should be okay for the dollar you spent. a helmet will never protect yer head from all impacts, and probably never will, you just want your best chance of survival. all helmet manufactures recommend replacing a helmet if it is dropped on concrete or been in an accident, as the linner crush properties will be compromised and you won't see it by eye all the time.

where a helmet, as any helmet will be better than none.

Careful with this statement (the one in bold), as the padding (in the sense that Zeebs is talking about it) has absolutely no bearing on safety, as it is just liner to make the helmet more comfortable, and fit better. The safety actually comes from a combination of the shell (plastic or carbon) and the foam inside the helmet. The shell if there to dissipate an impact point over the entire surface area of the helmet. If the impact force is greater it will move into the foam, which will further dissipate the impact, and if the impact is great enough there the foam with compress/crack. This is when the helmet is considered no good any more.

Yes, these standards are a minimum, and there is no way to tell by how much a helmet exceeds these standards. If the helmet passes the DOT standards by 1G or by 100G there is no way to tell. Imdoo'n nailed it when he said 'as long as the fit is correct', as the helmet should be snug and not loose on your head. For most snowmobile and quad purposes, DOT will certainly get you be, as you aren't dealing with the speeds that motorcyclists are dealing with.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes i may have been to broad with the padding, the shell liner is the important cushion, once it's crushed the helmets safety rating is gone. ithe helmet inner liner although makes the hemet fit and should stop any helmet movement. and does provide some padding, but not to the extent the shell liner will.

would be nice to see more testing of particular helmets, i know i have tested a few and am still here. the snell and esc22-05 rating combined in the same helmet seems like the best if it is available.

i understand where zeebs is coming from, spending $200 plus on a helmet on saturday just to find it needs to be replaced on monday kind of sucks, but at least you get to replace it.

Last edited:

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes i may have been to broad with the padding, the liner is the important cushion, once it's crushed the helmets safety rating is gone. ithe helmet liner although makes the hemet fit and should stop any helmet movement. and does provide some padding, but not to the extent the shell liner will.

would be nice to see more testing of particular helmets, i know i have tested a few and am still here. the snell and esc22-05 rating combined in the same helmet seems like the best if it is available.

i understand where zeebs is coming from, spending $200 plus on a helmet on saturday just to find it needs to be replaced on monday kind of sucks, but at least you get to replace it.

Totally agree. It all comes down to standards printed on the back and the fit of the helmet.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Totally agree. It all comes down to standards printed on the back and the fit of the helmet.

i think zeebs may have had a very close call rolling in to the ditch and breaking his helmet, it usually doesn't take much to crush yer melon. i have been looking at the full body protection lately, as a broken arm, neck or back would definitly not be a good thing.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think zeebs may have had a very close call rolling in to the ditch and breaking his helmet, it usually doesn't take much to crush yer melon. i have been looking at the full body protection lately, as a broken arm, neck or back would definitly not be a good thing.

I know what your saying.
My leg is still not totally healed and its been 4 months.

Sent from my iPhone 5

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know what your saying.
My leg is still not totally healed and its been 4 months.

Sent from my iPhone 5

bet you don't call a certain someone a pussy again, looks like you may have a memory of the affects for a while hehe

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I must say, i was wearing my tekvest and it obviously rolled over my mid section and to my surprise i was never sore in the mid section. When i bought my tekvest i felt like i might have went a little over board. But i can honestly say after my accident safety gear is worth its weight in gold!

Sent while not working too hard

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I must say, i was wearing my tekvest and it obviously rolled over my mid section and to my surprise i was never sore in the mid section. When i bought my tekvest i felt like i might have went a little over board. But i can honestly say after my accident safety gear is worth its weight in gold!

At the current price of gold? That vest must be worth at least $15000. I've been looking in to getting some protection for my upper body as well. I'm just worried about overheating all the time.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

sounds like you were a very lucky guy. lottery ticket time eh. hehe.

always seems the easy ride or just going to the corner are the ones i get upside down on.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At the current price of gold? That vest must be worth at least $15000. I've been looking in to getting some protection for my upper body as well. I'm just worried about overheating all the time.

tech vests are bulky, i know i was looking at the fox upper body protector for winter riding

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I guess! Have you seen or heard about current ER or regular medical care costs?!?! Wouldnt take long to chew through 15k in the hospital if you had something serious.

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
tech vests are bulky, i know i was looking at the fox upper body protector for winter riding

At first they do feel bulky but id say the long you were it the more comfortable it becomes. When they package it they lay the shoulders flat so out of the package it fits horrible. Let it hang on a hanger for a few weeks and wa-la it fits MUCH better

thump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I purchased the Fox protection and have only had the chance to wear it once so far, thought it would be a hinderance but after a 70km ride I have to say that I didnt notice the gear after about halfway through the day. Would of been nice to have last year before I ended up in the U of A with 5 broken ribs along my spine.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I purchased the Fox protection and have only had the chance to wear it once so far, thought it would be a hinderance but after a 70km ride I have to say that I didnt notice the gear after about halfway through the day. Would of been nice to have last year before I ended up in the U of A with 5 broken ribs along my spine.

gawd man that would have been friggin painful, how'd ya get to the u of a, stars air?

don't blame ya getting the protection

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess! Have you seen or heard about current ER or regular medical care costs?!?! Wouldnt take long to chew through 15k in the hospital if you had something serious.

What are medical costs? I live in Canada? j/k, I've always believed that throwing protection on is always the best way to ride.
I've been looking at the EVS Ballistic Jacket, but really want to find a dealer in the Calgary area first, so I can try it on. Nothing worse than getting a $250 jacket, then having to return it cause it doesn't fit right.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at buying some other protection gear, and I came across the EVS Sports website EVS
Their T7 helmet is DOT and SNELL 2010 approved for only $170. I believe this helmet wouldn't be coming with a breath box, but it sounds like a good option.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
went to the local dealership on wednesday, troy lee was the only helmets that had both ece22-05 and Snell 2010 approval. around $400 fit real tight on the head, size larger fit better and probably less head aches while wearing. if it isn't comfortable can't see anyone wearing it for long. was amazed at how almost every helmet manufactures product fit differently.

got a fox titan body protection, sweet unit, now rockin the Schwarzenegger look.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
went to the local dealership on wednesday, troy lee was the only helmets that had both ece22-05 and Snell 2010 approval. around $400 fit real tight on the head, size larger fit better and probably less head aches while wearing. if it isn't comfortable can't see anyone wearing it for long. was amazed at how almost every helmet manufactures product fit differently.

got a fox titan body protection, sweet unit, now rockin the Schwarzenegger look.

There aren't a lot of helmets that will get approved by both the ECE and SNELL standards. Since the ECE standard is European, generally only helmets sold in Europe will get those ratings. That EVS helmet I was talking about is ECE rated, but it doesn't say if it is 22-05 or 22-04, because only the helmets sold by European distributors get the ECE rating. I have to say, it's really good to see so many more people out there looking at protection for more than just their head.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
worst problem is getting stuff to fit. just about everything is to long in the leg and arms.

Top Bottom