Harvey Creek (near Fernie)

ronmexico

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is the riding like around Harvey Creek? A guy from the edmonton sled show manning the Fernie booth said its an unreal place with tons of bowls. I looked at it on google earth and sure enough, bowl after bowl, however it looks difficult to get into the bowls from the trail/road... Can anyone comment on the access?

Also, has anyone gotten to Harvey from the ALberta side near Castle Mountain? It looks like there is a road over the middle Koot pass. When i do a straight line measurement using goggle earth its 20km. Probably about a 30km ride.

InnOnTheBorder

Lodge in Crowsnest
Reaction score
Website
www.innontheborder.com
Give me a call this winter. Corbin is my back yard for atving and sledding. Lots of bowls, some easy to get to , some not so. If you stay in one of our cabins it takes you about 15-20min to get to corbin on my trail.. I try to keep it as smooth as I can. purchased a little bombi last season, looking into a newer drag groomer for it..
Have a look at some of the pics on my website.
Curtis Hagley

doostylz

Reaction score
Hey ronmexico. Just my opinion I rode fernie area last year. Was a really good ride. Made it all the way back to the notch. Long ride but well woth it. We stayed in Blairmore and drove out to stage on the old mine road going to piepline. After our ride the last day myself and 3 buddies stopped at the innontheborder and had supper (awsome primerib) and then got chatting with Verlee in the parking lot. Very nice person. Had all sorts of good tips. Will no doubt be going to ride there again but no way am I going to stay right in Blairmore again when there is a place like Curtis and Verlees. As I said just my opinion but wanted to share it.

cooper

Reaction score
Hey ronmexico. Just my opinion I rode fernie area last year. Was a really good ride. Made it all the way back to the notch. Long ride but well woth it. We stayed in Blairmore and drove out to stage on the old mine road going to piepline. After our ride the last day myself and 3 buddies stopped at the innontheborder and had supper (awsome primerib) and then got chatting with Verlee in the parking lot. Very nice person. Had all sorts of good tips. Will no doubt be going to ride there again but no way am I going to stay right in Blairmore again when there is a place like Curtis and Verlees. As I said just my opinion but wanted to share it.

I second that! my buddy john and i stayed there it was great cheep tons of snow great people will be back again this year for shore.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
What is the riding like around Harvey Creek? A guy from the edmonton sled show manning the Fernie booth said its an unreal place with tons of bowls. I looked at it on google earth and sure enough, bowl after bowl, however it looks difficult to get into the bowls from the trail/road... Can anyone comment on the access?

Also, has anyone gotten to Harvey from the ALberta side near Castle Mountain? It looks like there is a road over the middle Koot pass. When i do a straight line measurement using goggle earth its 20km. Probably about a 30km ride.

From Fernie you can stage 3 kms from the trail into Harvey. The Inn on the Border is a great place and Curtis and Verlee are great hosts but it sure is a long way to go when you can ride 3 kms from your truck and you are there!

Here is a link of some pictures taken just after Xmas:
https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/f14/harvey-pass-photos-dec-28-2009-a-23795.html
You can read through it and get some directions and if you need more info, PM me. fs

Bighairybeast

Reaction score
This year you can stage close to the Harvey entrance, but this is due to the road being plowed for logging. Most years the ride in is a lot longer (from the km 25 junction).

Anyone travelling up that road midweek should have a radio with the forestry channel and call in your km's. I don't believe the haul logs on the weekend but there still may be service trucks or other associated vehicles up there. There are very few pullouts and you will be in for a big headache if you meet a loaded logging truck coming out, especially if you are pulling a trailer.

Last I heard logging should be done late January to mid February.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Harvey is a great area to ride when the snow is safe!!!! I have rode into it lots from castle kootenay pass quite a long ride in definayely need to pack gas but there is a short cut up a little creek through the valley just as you come to the forest service road you will see a little trail heading into the bush and it takes you rite into harvey pass it's called twenty nine mile and howell creek area

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
This year you can stage close to the Harvey entrance, but this is due to the road being plowed for logging. Most years the ride in is a lot longer (from the km 25 junction).

Anyone travelling up that road midweek should have a radio with the forestry channel and call in your km's. I don't believe the haul logs on the weekend but there still may be service trucks or other associated vehicles up there. There are very few pullouts and you will be in for a big headache if you meet a loaded logging truck coming out, especially if you are pulling a trailer.

Last I heard logging should be done late January to mid February.

whats the frequency of the road.

Bighairybeast

Reaction score
I believe the frequency is 152.870 (Tembec). It is posted on the junction a couple of km's before the Morrissey staging area where the road branches off towards the Wigwam/Lodgepole road.

tater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is best place to stage to get back in to this area. want to go there this coming weekend if cond. are good enough.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
What is best place to stage to get back in to this area. want to go there this coming weekend if cond. are good enough.

Km 42 I think on the LodgePole FSR. First of all buy an FSA snowmobile trail map. For a list of places, go to FERNIESNOWMOBILE.COM The only confusion one might have is with the junction of the turn-off to the Morrissey staging area; at this junction stay right and the rest is straight through until you come to the MacLatchie FSR. That would be the staging area. The Harvey turn-off is 2 kms with a right turn off the main road. Should be easy. Enjoy!

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
have they plowed the mclatchie over the switchbacks. can you still get to the mclatchie play area from the corbin side and take the shortcut over the top and down the chute to get to howell. How far have they plowed, i heard almost to the barnes ranch turnoff.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
have they plowed the mclatchie over the switchbacks. can you still get to the mclatchie play area from the corbin side and take the shortcut over the top and down the chute to get to howell. How far have they plowed, i heard almost to the barnes ranch turnoff.

Plowed a long way back, very few pullouts plowed out, kinda get the feeling they want us to stay out of there until they are done hauling. Road is rough, trucks hauling.

Top Bottom