Hard start 05 800 Summit

summit7

Reaction score
I have an 05 800 Summit with less than a 1000 mi. on it.
It is really hard to pull over when sitting overnite at -15*C or colder.So hard infact that it wont start.Has anyone else had this problem and is there any way to make it easier to start?
short of lighting a fire under it.:confused:

MXOldtimer

Reaction score
I have an 05 800 Summit with less than a 1000 mi. on it.
It is really hard to pull over when sitting overnite at -15*C or colder.So hard infact that it wont start.Has anyone else had this problem and is there any way to make it easier to start?
short of lighting a fire under it.:confused:

Yes they are a bear to pull over when cold. If you aren't already using synthetic oil, start. If you store your baby indoors or in an enclosed trailer, put a trouble light under the hood and throw the cover over your sled. On an open trailer or deck? Sorry, get bigger friends.

Seriously, the synthetic really helps.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
hard start.

the techlines, all recomend synthetic blend oil.... full synthetic would be okay too. Like mxoldtimer said, it will be an improvement, but they are hard to pull over when cold. we rode today and it was about-20* when we went on the Fort Saskatchewan Snow Angels santas toyride, and my 1000 kicked back so hard I hurt my girly elbow. It always starts on the 1st or 2nd pull(with the electric primer button pushed), but it sure pulls over hard(yea I know, I shoulda got electric start). The other thing you might try is quickly pull the sparkplugs and turn it over a few times then put the plugs in and it should pull easier. I've heard of guys trying different size pull wheels, and I heard they seem to be happy with it. Think I saw that on Dootalk.com. about a month ago. get electric start???:D feel for ya, I "know the pain"

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 05 800 has had full BRP synthetic since new and its not that hard to start. Cold or warm day, 3rd pull every time with full choke. Love the sled!!

MoFoREVxp154

Reaction score
My 05 800 has had full BRP synthetic since new and its not that hard to start. Cold or warm day, 3rd pull every time with full choke. Love the sled!!

Any reason you didnt break it in with regular mineral oil for the first 300mi/500Km to seat the rings properly. By using synthetic right out of the gate you will loose compression and rob horepower in the long run.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hmmm...They never even mentioned using Mineral oil to break it in at the dealers. They filled the resevoir with Synth and "gave" me a gallon of the same when I bought my '06 800

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought the sled second hand from a friend and i know he use synth since new and he never had a problem. The sled pulls hard. I have rebuilt a few motors and have always been told not to break them in with synth but it seemed to be ok on this sled.

Jabby

Reaction score
I have used a magnetic oil pan heater for this in the past. It's easily removed and not very expensive. :)

Top Bottom