Grooming over Xmas

snowseeker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to make a comment and not sure if this the right place. We were up over the Xmas break and there was a group of 8 of us that came down the trail on the 28th and met the groomer. His blade was up in the air and we were the first group down after the groomer came up. We met him around KM 26 and the trail was horrible. I am not a groomer but shouldnt he be cutting out the woops with the blade and pulling the snow from the sides so that the trail stands up better. The trail was still bumpy as ---- and was like the groomer hadn't done a thing. I dont mine paying for a trail pass but when the trails are not being groomed properly, So what if it costs a few extra $$$$ for fuel, there is enough sledders up these trails that warrants them to be groomer properly.
This is the feelings and thoughts of our group of 8 riders.

Last edited by a moderator:

hillclimb10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well we were also up there that day and yes it was rough even after the groomer pasted it the first time. It will always be rough after the frist past because the snow has not had time set up and sleds get on it right after the groomer but after he goes back down the hill and the snow sets up over night it is like a highway. So good job to the groomer.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well we were also up there that day and yes it was rough even after the groomer pasted it the first time. It will always be rough after the frist past because the snow has not had time set up and sleds get on it right after the groomer but after he goes back down the hill and the snow sets up over night it is like a highway. So good job to the groomer.

I have to agree. grooming while sleds are out is a waste of fuel. If he was indeed high bladeing it was to conserve fuel on the trip up. Knowing full well that sledders will be coming down on his way up I can understand that. A little sad but true fact, it takes at least four to five hours for the snow to set up behind the groomer before the sleds don't immediately blow out the trail. I know this because I too have run a groomer and have seen it happen all too often. So I guess before we bash the groomer lets give him some credit. Wasting fuel on the way up will only drive the cost of the trail passes up.

snowseeker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well good points but he still needs to be cutting out the woops. Also I have been at other areas riding with the same situation that you guys are saying about after the groomer it takes time to set up. I understand that but you still need to be cutting on the way up. We went down at another area after the grommer made his first pass up and it was night and day difference between the two.

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I, for one, would not mind if trail fees were $5 more per day if the groomer would keep the blade down on the way up. Maybe that would cover some other costs too...?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
another idea, how about laying off the throttle on the way in, what do you think causes all the whups and motor burn downs. I can not complain about groomed trails or the groomer, he's a volunteer, money collected goes for fuel and repairs. :beer::beer::beer: to the groomer as he get's very little thanxs for the job he does

treemongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We were up Renshaw today the trail up was groomed and awesome GOOD JOB HOTROD. Don't give the guy grief about high blading on the way up. He is doing a good job, there hasn't been alot of new snow the last 2 weeks to help him out. The other thing is people lay off the throttle going up and quit blipping your frickin throttles creating the whoops. Learn to ride the trail and quit being impatient when you come opon other riders and blip your throttles to get by them. :rant::rant: Keep up the good job Hot rod, trail held up good today.:beer:

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I commented about this on another thread already. The sno-cross race down the hill right after the groomer goes by is the biggest issue. Guys were passing us at 4km on the way out and roosting you with ice chunks on the way by; and we weren't holding up traffic by any means.:rolleyes:What does that save you.....90 seconds on your ride out? No respect for other riders on the trail, or the efforts of the groomer operator was what I saw ALOT of while we were there. :(

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I have noticed dips in area's that are there each time I go to renshaw. Im not a groomer operator but cant some of those be filled in and snow pushed into the icy area's, isnt that what the front part on the groomers for? If there is worry of sledders going up and down on the fresh groomed trail why is the groomer up on the renshaw trail so early? Mabie heading out an hour and a half later may make more sense rather than having people make your trail worse. Grooming is a night thing not an evening thing, am I right?

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Grooming is a night thing not an evening thing, am I right?

I agree it should leave the parking lot at 4 pm or later then it would set up like it is supposed to be, also it is a NIGHT thing aint it...............

Last edited by a moderator:

j.c.higgins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good points Ron! I would say most of the time yes, grooming is done at night but that trail is a 8hr round trip so he would like to see minimum 6-8hr setup time. But he is going to blade the trail the next couple of runs to see what the outcome is. Plus with this being a busy holiday season he ended up doing back to back hills a couple times, thats why the early start. Consistency is something you're always trying to strive for but some of the big factors going against you are number of riders and temperature. Today we rode up the Renshaw and on the way up it was average to good. On the way out it sucked. And that was with about 100+ riders on it over 2 days plus it was only -5c so it never held up that well. I know for a fact Hotrod is always concerned about the condition of the trails.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good points Ron! I would say most of the time yes, grooming is done at night but that trail is a 8hr round trip so he would like to see minimum 6-8hr setup time. But he is going to blade the trail the next couple of runs to see what the outcome is. Plus with this being a busy holiday season he ended up doing back to back hills a couple times, thats why the early start. Consistency is something you're always trying to strive for but some of the big factors going against you are number of riders and temperature. Today we rode up the Renshaw and on the way up it was average to good. On the way out it sucked. And that was with about 100+ riders on it over 2 days plus it was only -5c so it never held up that well. I know for a fact Hotrod is always concerned about the condition of the trails.

Well pass on a thanks to the hotrod. I know what it takes to keep the trails in shape and yes the conditions and the number of sleds in a day make it hard to keep the trail in top shape. None the less they were in pretty good shape. I remember the trail to the Renshaw in December on 94. Now you wanna talk rough that was rough.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK

j.c.higgins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL. Thats going back a ways Pipes!! I only started riding here in 98, and grooming was hit and miss back then. It has come a long way since those days. Which is good to see.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL. Thats going back a ways Pipes!! I only started riding here in 98, and grooming was hit and miss back then. It has come a long way since those days. Which is good to see.

got that right. Nice to see the cabins as well. None of those in 94 either. got to get me that membership. will send check to Barry tomorrow.

Top Bottom