Grizzly Overheating

Griz_700

Reaction score
2008 700 Grizzly 4x4 - started to overheat the other day while plowing. Rad is super clean, coolant is good, fan is working. So from what I know it could be the thermostat or the water pump. Anyone have some ideas? Is there a way to test the thermostat once removed?

It now starts to steam about 5 mins after starting it up, without driving it.

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2008 700 Grizzly 4x4 - started to overheat the other day while plowing. Rad is super clean, coolant is good, fan is working. So from what I know it could be the thermostat or the water pump. Anyone have some ideas? Is there a way to test the thermostat once removed?

It now starts to steam about 5 mins after starting it up, without driving it.

Not for sure but sounds like a water pump to me. I find it hard to believe the thermostat would cause it to overheat that fast at an idle. I could be wrong though, keep us informed.

rocketron

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you put light behind and look through rad? They can look clean but are still plugged. Is the coolant circulating? You should see some movement with rad cap off even with thermostat closed. If not circulating, could be a bad impeller or broken water pump chain. Hope that it isn't that cause it drives oil pump too, these chains are like spaghetti they stretch real bad (just like the timing chain). It is possible that the thermostat failed as well. To test, remove thermostat put in a pot of antifreeze and heat to 180°f (I think could be 190°). It should open.

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
99% of overheats are caused by dirty or pluged rads...they can look new from the front but if you run water through the fins from front to back you still get debris coming out...try a lite test shine a lite through the rad from the back should be easy to see..
have had a few waterpump seals weeping but they dont heat up that fast... sounds like a possible blockage...
check thermostat as stated...should rule it out....if it fails..
we havent had many fail...or need replacment but you never know..

make sure the fins on the fan are not broke...had that happen , so you could here the fan come on but it wasint cooling enough..

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When checking your coolant level, don't just check the overflow container. Open the rad cap and make sure there's actually coolant in the rad.

Griz_700

Reaction score
Thanks all for your replies. I took the rad out, it's cleaned. Flushed out all the old coolant. Going to check the thermostat and replace if necessary, then add new coolant and see what happens. I did open the rad when it was running and the coolant is circulating. When the rad first overflowed I was plowing for bit, not much don't have a big driveway, and then I pulled my ice hut onto the river with it.

It didn't bubble over when it idled, just steamed. I agree that it sounds like a blockage, hopefully the flush and new coolant solves the problem.

The rad has coolant, first thing I checked and there is no coolant in the overflow.

C

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok where the heck are you with the snowplowing? That is just so selfish to just plow that snow when there are others that could really use it, share damn you!

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well if you do not have enought antifreeze your blockage is ice, and it will boil over. A 2 dollar tester would of checked for this.

Top Bottom