GPS signal blocks beacon signal???

honda450

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe this isnt a issue, but i took a avalanche course a few years ago and our instructor said that not every time but they have seen before where a rhino gps/walkie has blocked the signal of one of there groups beacons. Is there any truth to this that anyone knows of or is it just a fluke. Im very interested in the new rhino 650 but the terrain of riding that my group does the beacon thing honestly scares the ch!t out of me. Any help or comments would be greately appreciated.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
may have the same problem with cell phones and radios in general.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anything that transmits has the potential to do that. Not sure exactly how those combination units work, but if you can see your buddies location on your GPS/Radio.....it's getting sent there somehow, and that transmitted signal has the potential to interfere with your beacon.

Last edited:

Steve D

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To build upon the good link from Summiteer, and before misinformation spreads*, GPS by it's nature does not interfere with a beacon. GPS signal is from satellites that transmit continuously. GPS devices are in receive only mode, it's a one way road. Beacons transmit at a very low 457KHz. GPS operates at a fairly high 1.5GHz frequency.

Nor, is it a problem with devices transmitting on the same frequency, intentionally. These devices, such as the Rino, tx on much higher frequencies, FRS/GMRS which starts at about 462-467MHz (note the M.) They have no business going to 457KHz on purpose.

The issue is likely devices that "leak" electro-magnetically. Certifications from industry canada and the FCC typically say that these devices cannot tx on "other" frequencies than those designated, but the reality is that every device can emit at any frequency, albeit typically very low power, and in many cases it's the circuitry inside the device that cause this problem, having nothing to do with the radio transmitter itself! Really good radio components are very "clean" but I've seen them matched with cheap circuit boards or wiring...

In most cases, it shouldn't interfere in any significant manner, but in the case of a beacon while in search mode, I wouldn't hold a walki-talkie, cell phone or GPS side by side with said beacon. Keeping it on your hip, in your backpack or in the hands of another person should be enough to block the interference in most cases**. Any time you're practicing with your beacon, have the electronics around that you would normally have with you, it's a much better time to test and find out if those devices are causing more interference than they should.

In terms of a "victim" buried with electronics, I would be surprised if the electronic device "blocked" a beacon in transmit mode, while it would raise the noise floor, I would not expect any device to transmit so loudly on that particular frequency that other peoples beacons in receive mode couldn't pick it up. Not impossible, just highly unlikely, and you'd know if the device was a problem by testing it as mentioned earlier.

*-When I say misinformation, I mean people looking at the title and deciding not to pack a GPS with them.
**-The inverse square law basically says an object twice as far away, receives only one-quarter the energy. So, extra distance or a large object like your body should block the source of interference. The device might not scream, but even someone humming next to your ear might seem loud.

Disclaimer: I am not a radio engineer. But I do like looking at pictures like this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom