Gorman

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks to me like the guy in the picture could be just inside the line. The park boundary is not clearly marked up there, and the "ridge" is a bit of a grey area as to how wide the actual "park boundary" right-of-way is along the ridge. We've always treated the ridge ("ridge" defined as the flat area on the top of the hill, but there is not a lot of "flat" terrain up there at times in winter) as the boundary and tried to stay as close to it as possible, but I'm not riding right along the top of the cornice either, so long as people are reasonable about riding as close to the ridge as safely practical, then IMO its fine. No, the excuse that the ridge overhang was not safe is not a license to carve half way down the slope into park terrain. If people can't stay close to the ridge then they shouldn't be up there.

In the park is still in the park though, and the gov't will ticket you regardless, might be worth removing the offending pic for optics, but I do understand what JCMX is saying about cabin valley in Quartz also, as I've made many comments to try and educate people doing this and recieved many middle fingers and many snide comments back as well.

This pic is from the bowl looking west at the ridge. Anything over the ridge is park IMO.

Attachments

• June 2009 012.jpg
    June 2009 012.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 547

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The guy climbing in the picture is IN the park. The face he is climbing is denoted by the arrow (The green shading is Glacier National Park). The ridge is not in the park but dropping west into that valley is. The may help clarify this as well.

Using the excuse that everyone at Quartz goes in the park is pretty lame. If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem.

The topo map you included is deceiving in that the southern part of the green line is right up over the jagged, rocky crest of the ridge. Someone must have strapped a gps to a goat. You go as far up to the right along the saddle seen in Modman's picture and then you have to turn down slope to the left, cut right down just a bit around a wind lip that is always there and up to the saddle at the top of East Quartz. The sled in my photo didn't have to pull the side hill quite so much but that is the path if you are going between Lang and East Quartz. When returning a skilled rider can pull the side-hill and avoid going down to the wind lip but you would still be off maierch's x-mas list. This is not a point you could use for entry into the park either. Just below the wind lip it is a looooong way down to the valley.

I encourage EVERYONE to go check it out. There is some nice areas back in East Quartz (plus the usual avy hazards) and I think it is safer to go this way in versus up the terrain trap creek from the Quartz side. If you had PM'd me and said "hey, I think your pic is showing someone riding in the park boundary" I would have gladly pulled it. But here we are. Now why don't you put those map making skills to good use in the Quartz thread and show everyone the multiple park areas that are blatantly infringed on every week.

Carbon, I know you must have crossed between these areas and you therefore are just as guilty (which is not that guilty in my opinion).

EastQuartz.jpg

Carbon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:beer:
The topo map you included is deceiving in that the southern part of the green line is right up over the jagged, rocky crest of the ridge. Someone must have strapped a gps to a goat. You go as far up to the right along the saddle seen in Modman's picture and then you have to turn down slope to the left, cut right down just a bit around a wind lip that is always there and up to the saddle at the top of East Quartz. The sled in my photo didn't have to pull the side hill quite so much but that is the path if you are going between Lang and East Quartz. When returning a skilled rider can pull the side-hill and avoid going down to the wind lip but you would still be off maierch's x-mas list. This is not a point you could use for entry into the park either. Just below the wind lip it is a looooong way down to the valley.

I EVERYONE to go check it out. There is some nice areas back in East Quartz (plus the usual avy hazards) and I think it is safer to go this way in versus up the terrain trap creek from the Quartz side. If you had PM'd me and said "hey, I think your pic is showing someone riding in the park boundary" I would have gladly pulled it. But here we are. Now why don't you put those map making skills to good use in the Quartz thread and show everyone the multiple park areas that are blatantly infringed on every week.

Carbon, I know you must have crossed between these areas and you therefore are just as guilty (which is not that guilty in my opinion).

EastQuartz.jpg

That's a Big 10-4,go all the time but never needed to use park to get into area,just ride the ridge as higher up and then cut over....pretty easy.but to each there own,just know that Ive been on other end this yr listening,and the higher powers are recording all and wont take much to shut area's down/implament Big closures........I wouldnt encourage everbody to check out unless riden lots.......big exsposure faces.with traps everwhere.....you make it sound like trail ride hahahaha.........Anyways.......some One is always Watching;)
Anyways:beer::d

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i've seen that trail that rides the ridge, it is there and it is passable.... a local pointed it out to me years ago, one of my first ride there ever. i passed on it, i had only just started snowmobiling at the time. he also said NOT to go straight over, down and around, as it is park.
the trail over is certainly no place for a 'trail ride'!! maybe it was blown over when jmcx was there, but it does exist. i wouldn't be the first over it, but i would probably follow carbon!!

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would any of you guys recommend going into Gorman this weekend?

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I encourage EVERYONE to go check it out. There is some nice areas back in East Quartz (plus the usual avy hazards) and I think it is safer to go this way in versus up the terrain trap creek from the Quartz side. If you had PM'd me and said "hey, I think your pic is showing someone riding in the park boundary" I would have gladly pulled it. But here we are. Now why don't you put those map making skills to good use in the Quartz thread and show everyone the multiple park areas that are blatantly infringed on every week.

EastQuartz.jpg

Yes I may have been a little out of scale on how far North you have to go along the ridge. I couldn't find any GPS tracks from the few times I've been there. Also at the same time you definitely don't have to go as far into the park as the rider in your photo.

P.S. - You're not off my Christmas list this year. I'm not really one to hold a grudge.:beer:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:beer:

....I wouldnt encourage everbody to check out unless riden lots.......big exsposure faces.with traps everwhere.....you make it sound like trail ride hahahaha.........d

yep, gotta agree there, for anyone reading this that thinks this is "just another spot to go and check out" you are wrong, the climb before the bowl in my pic is steep, not a place to get locked up, and the stuff over the ridge has some big terrain traps, poor access for help if you get into trouble and not an easy spot to get out of if you are towing a dead sled.

GSR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
haha good chat guys. It is most definitely park. Park is "Height of Land" and well..... it's lower then the ridge. Not a tough call.
Only ONE way to get there legally... From Quartz Creek.
It's not a cake walk, and it's not without it's risks.
High exposure, and usually can not be done until spring as a creek needs to fill in.
:)

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh oh Carbon, the fish cops better fit us both with GPS activated shock collars. Ignorance is bliss eh? I'll hold your hand while we jump off that bridge.;)

Rowdy, a bit late now but Gorman is a poor choice for bad visibility days.

I forgot to mention the awesome grooming last weekend. They were even grooming again Saturday when we were riding out.:)

Mighty Mouse

Reaction score
I'm looking to ride Gorman this weekend (probably Saturday), but my guys can't make it out. :( Anyone willing to have a tag along??? I'm a decent rider on a 154" XP. Also, haven't been there in a couple weeks... condition update? Thanks.

Mighty Mouse

Reaction score
Rode Gorman on Sunday. Busiest I've seen the parking lot EVER! Guys were parking down the road and some were even down by the gravel pit. Trail was in perfect condition (groomed Saturday night). Snow was pretty decent and the further you went back, the deeper it got and less rocks were hiding underneath. Had a great day!

Top Bottom