Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya I'd be looking forsure

I know The tons have the big t case, with the pto plate,

sent while I should be drinking tea's

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Climbed under and looked around. Nothing I saw in their pictures would work because of the T case that appears to be bolted directly to the end of the transmission. Obviously a question that needs to be answered....

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya.... Only some of the trucks use an adapter plate between the trans and t case and also that's the rear mount

But the big 1 ton case on the pre 99 trucks are way different

Now if u had a 2wd then it bolts on to where the rear output housing is , by the looks of the kit to me

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya.... Only some of the trucks use an adapter plate between the trans and t case and also that's the rear mount

But the big 1 ton case on the pre 99 trucks are way different

Now if u had a 2wd then it bolts on to where the rear output housing is , by the looks of the kit to me

So I spoke to the Gear Vendors people today and on the 4X4 applications the OD unit mounts behind the transfer case so it does not work in 4X4 mode. It has a lock out that shuts it off as soon as 4WD is engaged. I do not do any towing n 4WD so do not see this as a problem.

It is a fairly straight forward system: "Off" is direct and so retains all the usual shifting of the stock system. "On" and it provides a middle gear between 1st & 2nd, 2nd & 3rd and then a slightly lower overdrive (3.20) than the transmission provides (3.08). This should help me maintain highway cruising speed and because the transmission is in third, I can avoid that "hunting" when the torque converter locks up then unlocks in that endless heat generating cycle.

The cost is $3,100 US plus $85 for shipping. I checked on the cost to shorten the driveshaft and was quoted $210 which included balancing of the first and the long second driveshaft running to the rear end so call this $3,400 for the bits. Installation time is between 5 and 7 hours.

I also was quoted $2,200 to change the front and rear diffs to 4.56 from their current 4.10. This would help some but still would not help bridge the huge gaps between gears.

Still looks very interesting.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would be nice find a few guys that have used them to ask..

Bet most where done in the states

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup. Gonna keep researching for the truck application. My business partner has seen them before and thinks they are great - always in high hp hot rods. He thinks it should work just fine for this app.

Not in a giant rush.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Might be ok in a hot rod, but not with 10000 lbs pulling behind ya would be my worry

Top Bottom