Gardening help please.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Root maggots are a concern when growing onions and radishes. I used to use a maggot powder (carbaryl is what I think the chemical was) placed in the rows with the seeds. Apparently, here in BC, it is no longer available. Do any of you farmer/gardening type people to the east have access to this stuff?

The people at the green houses tell me about crushed rhubarb leaves, wood ash, and diatomaceous earth. Diatomacious earth didn't work last year, and I can't really see the others working that well either.

Last edited:

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the same issue I'm hoping to roto-till in some fresh cow sh*t and do it soon so it freezes at night - that's what I heard kills the hoors is the tilling then freezing at night as soon as the snow is off mine she's gonna be heavy tilling action

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I have the same issue I'm hoping to roto-till in some fresh cow sh*t and do it soon so it freezes at night - that's what I heard kills the hoors is the tilling then freezing at night as soon as the snow is off mine she's gonna be heavy tilling action

Did some Google research earlier and.......[FONT=Georgia, serif]Adult flies are attracted to moist garden soil that is high in organic matter such as manure and leaf mold.[/FONT]
So it appears that manure isn't good for radishes. I did read that you can plant radishes between rows of garlic and that will deter the flies from laying eggs.

mathrulz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We use to have trouble with moths laying eggs on the cabbages and the worms eating everything (never had issues with onions though). Best solution we found was to cover the plants with a light cloth. We made our own with some rebar for the frame and thin old curtain material for the covering, but you can buy the frames and fabric from different places too - https://ttseeds.com/product/classic-cover-garden-blanket/

No chemical needed, and you want to get it on early so the flies and moths can’t lay the eggs.

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We use to have trouble with moths laying eggs on the cabbages and the worms eating everything (never had issues with onions though). Best solution we found was to cover the plants with a light cloth. We made our own with some rebar for the frame and thin old curtain material for the covering, but you can buy the frames and fabric from different places too - https://ttseeds.com/product/classic-cover-garden-blanket/

No chemical needed, and you want to get it on early so the flies and moths can’t lay the eggs.
The cloths don't work - I built cages around my cucumbers las year thinking it was bugs or birds - they come from underground - some kinda root grub was eating my goods

kanedog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kanedog 2015-2019, thanks for the good times S&M!
Try to keep the root zone not too wet. Chickens might excavate the soil and eat the maggots. Maybe birdseed on the ground. The wild birds birds might help a bit. Rototill like a mofo before planting. Sprinkle seven dust, maybe even sulphur dust on the dirt, then rotitill it in. Change out the dirt, it sounds infected.
Non of the above is tried and true. Just spit balling.

mathrulz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The cloths don't work - I built cages around my cucumbers las year thinking it was bugs or birds - they come from underground - some kinda root grub was eating my goods

The cloths only work for flies and moths - but it’s their eggs and larvae that form the worms and maggots and cause the damage. Cloths work very well - we used them for many decades.

If you have grubs - that’s a different story. Grubs, snails, slugs, etc - need to cultivate and dry out the ground. Keep disturbing the ground and they will die/leave. If it’s a wet, rainy, cold year like last year in Alberta - these things thrive.

skid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doug I asked the wife what she uses and she said egg shells, I guess they don’t like the sharp edges.

Travco28

Reaction score
Use Diatomaceous earth . I springle it in with my seeds before i cover them . It cuts them up . You can buy in bulk from UFA or Farm store . Use also to deworm horses / cattle , chickens ect. I think it goes by the name Red Earth at UFA . 100 % natural .
Can also dust on leaves for bugs . It can hurt bees Though .

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We use it on rusty red beetles in our grain bins if we get an infestation. Goes by the name Protect It in the Ag sector.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Here's an update. The eggshells didn't work. Planting between rows of garlic worked sort of.

First planting of seeds was March 29th. Some on top of crushed egg shells, others between the rows of garlic, and some more just into the soil. All of those had maggots. The garlic rows seemed to be better.

The second planting on April 30 was no better.

A did a third planting between the garlic on May 15th. They were awesome! What was the difference? I am going to assume that the fly that lays the eggs comes out in the early growing season. The May 15th planting had no maggots and the picture is from those radishes.

IMG_6325.jpeg

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those yellow sticky papers work on the brassica's. Not the radishes.

Attachments

• IMG_20210617_145841213.jpg
    IMG_20210617_145841213.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20210617_145843804.jpg
    IMG_20210617_145843804.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 67

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The second garden, starting to come.

Attachments