Fuel leaking 2009 Summit 800 XP

silver fox

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi, was out this weekend with 2 new XP's..one worked flawlessly, the other seems to be leaking fuel..running or not, made a mess in buddy's enclosed trailer.When we took it for a quick test rip a couple of weeks ago we noticed it leaking fuel, and it wouldn't start. Tried the usual type stuff, still wouldn't start..then noticed some crap (looked like dead wasps)in the clear line going into the l/f shockmount (i think it is a hose for the DPM)..anyways we cleaned it out, it started and ran fine..put a bout 13 k on...now it's leakin fuel again and can't find the source..anyone else run into this issue?? Just trying to save a trip back to the dealer>>>:mad:

Hillclimber

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi, was out this weekend with 2 new XP's..one worked flawlessly, the other seems to be leaking fuel..running or not, made a mess in buddy's enclosed trailer.When we took it for a quick test rip a couple of weeks ago we noticed it leaking fuel, and it wouldn't start. Tried the usual type stuff, still wouldn't start..then noticed some crap (looked like dead wasps)in the clear line going into the l/f shockmount (i think it is a hose for the DPM)..anyways we cleaned it out, it started and ran fine..put a bout 13 k on...now it's leakin fuel again and can't find the source..anyone else run into this issue?? Just trying to save a trip back to the dealer>>>:mad:

i would deal with the dealer. thats what there for.

sledslut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You could have a problem with your floats in the carb, or your vent line is not on. Or u have a cracked fuel house.. The list goes on..

sledslut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it was a common problem i would have that in my service/warranty books here at work. And well ive never seen it.. Herd about it if u put the back of the sled up too high and it leaks out.. But as for constintaly running, carbs would be my frist look.. Take a flash light and look at the bottom of the carbs. You might have dirt in there holding open a valve or something.

silver fox

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now why would I call the dealer when I can go on here and be "enlightened" by all the responses??:p: Anyways, it's a buddy's sled and he may have called there..we bought 2 carryovers they were clearing out as not the dealer anymore...we'll probably just start taking things apart and see what we find..:eek:

silver fox

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:headbanger:
If it was a common problem i would have that in my service/warranty books here at work. And well ive never seen it.. Herd about it if u put the back of the sled up too high and it leaks out.. But as for constintaly running, carbs would be my frist look.. Take a flash light and look at the bottom of the carbs. You might have dirt in there holding open a valve or something.

Thanx for the info! I know from alot of the posts that sometimes there is a known issue ie:driveshafts on 08's etc..wires rubbing thru on frames (buddy had to drag an 08 out of boulder) this is probably a sticky float or something..she really rips though, eh! :headbanger:

sledslut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
maybe just call your dealer.

Iam a dealer, so i guess its close enough:beer:

and no problem. i looked through the binder for ski-doo warranty/service bulletins for fuel leaking and i didnt see anything.. so its not something lots of people are having problems with.

Hillclimber

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Iam a dealer, so i guess its close enough:beer:

and no problem. i looked through the binder for ski-doo warranty/service bulletins for fuel leaking and i didnt see anything.. so its not something lots of people are having problems with.

ok kool that works to.
:beer:

badmonkey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

check the carbs, float could not be set right or the needle valve may be stuck open. had that happen on a 2000 700 mxz..........when thru a tank of fuel in less than 2 hrs. trail riding :d

silver fox

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow, thanx for al;l the responses..we started pulling things apart last nit, could see no leakage..so added more fuel to tank and low and behold, there was fuel running out again..from the fuel tank area..so took more parts off (these things are tight)..and discovered fuel leaking from the front of the fuel tank, behind the oil tank. There is a kinda screw on cap thingy (not sure why, or what it's for!) about 3" acorss, and fuel wa leaking from it..we turned this cap off and the square shaped o-ring had a piece missing..probably from assembly new..anyways, hopefully just replace the o-ring and it will be ok!!:eek:

brickyblair

Reaction score

yup it happened to me.i took the sled back to the dealer,sled hadnt even been run yet,zero hours on the clock and it was leaking.the dealer said that it was a bad gasket going into the tank infront of the tank in the bottom mine was under warranty thank god but i said that i wasnt happy and he gave me a doo hat.

Texersof

Reaction score
Looking for help on an 08 XP summit X I got a gas leak issue also, and did much of the same investigation tearing off every panel to find the problem. Once the back is lifted in the air (enough to bring the gas to the front of the tank the leaking starts. It appears as though the check valve off the front of the tank is more of a fancy elbow than check valve.

Anyone know if the check valve is suppose to let out or in, and if it is even a check valve? Skidoo part lookup stated check valve.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking for help on an 08 XP summit X I got a gas leak issue also, and did much of the same investigation tearing off every panel to find the problem. Once the back is lifted in the air (enough to bring the gas to the front of the tank the leaking starts. It appears as though the check valve off the front of the tank is more of a fancy elbow than check valve.

Anyone know if the check valve is suppose to let out or in, and if it is even a check valve? Skidoo part lookup stated check valve.

If its the vent line then its there to let air into the tank. pressurize the end of the hose and see what happens, a vent should let air in and with the tank filler cap off you should hear it coming out of the tank. Should be one inlet and one outlet, not sure about the return line if there is one. Overall its a pretty simple system, if its leaking then stop the leak.

Top Bottom