Ford 6.4 idle, smoke, tuner issue.....tech advice pelase

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looked at 09 Superduty truck for sale. Nice unit. DPF delete and SCT tuner. EGR unit still in place. Started real well in the cold, even without plugging in. Idled up fine and stayed like that for a while as i looked over the truck. After a while it starts to clack a bit and some whiteish smoke starts coming out of exhaust. Not super thick, but you know it's there. Check engine light comes on. Owner is genuinely surprised but says it did this once before. He took it to a shop and they told him it was the tuner, to remove the program, then flash it back in again. Apparently that fixed it the first time. Only happens when temps are cold. You can shut it off, restart and it idles fine again, and there is nothing noticeable when you drive away. Truck seems to drive real well. Seems to only be an issue if it sits and idles for a while. Once it happened though the check engine light stayed on. Truck is the guys baby. I believe he is being a straight shooter.

Anyone heard of this before? Anyone know what's going on?

Thanks.

Last edited:

scott 259

Reaction score
The EGRs are a well known problem and very much like you describe, can turn into a "very" expensive issue.I would have it gone through very carefully before jumping in.

Scott

LinkTank

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2010. Run H&S, dpf delete, egr delete. I don't get the white smoke. But the odd time after starting it with the command start and letting idle for a lengthy period. It triggers a turbo sensor code. Only happens when its really cold and idles for a longtime. I just clear it and its fine. Doesn't throw the check engine light though.

But if your positive its white smoke. As far as I know that would mean its burning antifreeze which more than likely is the EGR cooler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oilboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you know what the code is? It might be the egr once it warms up if there is a small crack in it, it might start to leak a bit. The tuner more than likely shuts the egr valve off once the truck is in drive, so it won't smoke white while driving. a egr delete is $250 and a 5-7 hour job in the driveway.
Did you notice the color of the coolant and if there was any sign of it coming out the top of the degas bottle? There will be a white residue on top of the bottle and around the cap if it over pressures and pukes from the head gasket being gone.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't remember actually seeing coolant in the bottle just glancing at it, which is a concern, but no white residue on top.....I knew to look for that. He did mention something about the EGR valve, but I thought the programmer shut that off from the get go. Didn't realize it might only shut it off when driving. If it is leaking coolant, then why does it not make the clacking once you shut it off and restart?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Oilboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes it depends on the program. Some programs shut it off altogether and some let it cycle during idle so the valve doesn't coke up and throw a egr insufficient flow code
as for the clacking sound some 6.4's had that sound once they warmed up, I'm not sure if any one ever figured out what it was but if you go to powerstroke.org and ask the question I'm sure someone will give you a better explanation, my 2008 had the clacking noise and my 2010 doesn't
how many Km's on the truck, what did he use for oil, whose tunes did he run, what settings ( how many hp) there's a lot of companies that make tunes for the SCT, most all are good.
There great trucks I still have my 2010 they will take MAJOR ABUSE and be absolutely fine, I've had mine down the track multiple times and pull with it all the time. Dynod at 588hp and 1159ftlbs If you end up buying it take the egr out or do the block off plates, it will save you any possible headaches in the future.

slomo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
white smoke in a diesel does not always mean coolant, many times when idleing in the cold it is unburn fuel due to the lack of heat. the engine light could be on for several reasons ie intake air heater not on causing dense cold air in cooling down combustion temps, you really need to know what the dtc is before you go any further and have it diagnosed properly, most dealers will tell you to remove the programmer before any service to rule out any complications from it,as well have a warrenty check done as if it is programmed and has been to a dealer they may have voided the power train warrenty

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Slomo...your alive! Good to hear from you.

I know in 08 they had issues with the cool moist air and it was fixed under warranty for most. I was under the impression that for 09 it was a non issue, but maybe not?

Great advice gents. Thanks. Seller sent me a message this morning. He spoke with his dealer mechanic and apparently the mech said it is either the EGR sticking or one of the thermostats is hyper extended. Mech too recommended an EGR delete.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another piece to add to the puzzle....owner went and checked coolant level and said it is just above the add line, but he has not added anything to it in the past 6 to 7 months. I'll take that as a good sign. But it still does not answer the check engine light.

Oilboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes that's a great thing as long as the coolant is the normal color, another thing to ask him and it might be where the white smoke is coming from. Does he have the ccv routed into the exhaust, that could cause some white smoke, even if it is vented normal into the intake and there is excessive blow by ( some 6.4 do blow by quite a bit) that might cause it aswell
Also you need to get him to give you the code he pulls from the programmer and post it up. That will tell you what is up,
in the cold these trucks throw codes randomly and most don't mean anything.

muzbomb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 09 F350 6.4L with lots of goodies main ones Spartan tuner, 4" downpipe to straight 5" back, egr delete and S&B intake. I have been tuned since 28,000KM have 118,00KM now "knock on wood" have had no issures with my truck. It has been the best truck i have ever owned!!!! I had a 08 F350 6.4L before and it was the biggest piece of s**** but it was all stock. Seems like if you do the deletes and regular main have good luck. I have not heard to good of things about the SCT tune for the 6.4L i do know i LOVE my tuner and my truck!!!

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an 08 with 88000km on it. EGR delete, 5" turbo back straight pipe, afe cold air, H&S mini max. truck has been great. Once it got really cold I had a turbo code coming up. Didn't seem to affect the way the truck ran. Checked the code on google and it ended up being the exhaust backpressure sensor. Fairly common from i read. $80.00 part and a 10 min fix in the driveway. When the truck is cold it does smoke white a little as well. Clears up once warm. I believe its just unburned fuel. With the H&S you can set the defuel levels on the turbos. Which i am sure would solve the smoke. i am sure the issues you have are minor. EGR deletes can be found for $150.00 on ebay with intake elbow. thats where I bought my sinister delete. Took me a saturday to do in my garage. Also installed a coolant filter kit, did a coolant flush and replaced the thermostats.

Top Bottom