forced induction???

ruggalo

Reaction score
i have an 04 chevy 1500 with the 4.8L v8 and want more power out of it should i do the sts turbo or super charge it?

crow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
don't listen to them...if you want a plastic truck you buy a dodge!

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have an 04 chevy 1500 with the 4.8L v8 and want more power out of it should i do the sts turbo or super charge it?

I think that the characteristics of a supercharger ( instant power, torque ) would better suit a street truck than a turbo. JMO.

Remember expensive gas can't be too far away though.......

drford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

i have a buddy with an sts kit and they are actually quite amazing almost no lag

but as far as a more power FORD ALL THE WAY :smilieicon_ford::smilieicon_ford:

crow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
who says rams are tougher then chevys

Attachments

• image0011.jpg
    image0011.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 35
  • image0022.jpg
    image0022.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 43

mxz sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
4.8 it may blow the bottom end with super charger it may work better with
a turbo with a low 20p.s.i boost for real h.p and good fuel mileage start with
real engine 350 c.i and stroke it a proper cam and good heads and well balance engine go a long way you could get about 400hp and still get
20-25 miles to impgal and one heck of tire burner:)

growly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can't get a 350 for a 04,don't make them. I'd look at getting a 5.3 for better towing and good fuel mileage,or a 6L for good towing power but, you loose on fuel mileage. Both will bolt in,not sure about the computer though. May be cheaper to trade it off and get something with more ponies.

johndeereman346

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can't get a 350 for a 04,don't make them. I'd look at getting a 5.3 for better towing and good fuel mileage,or a 6L for good towing power but, you loose on fuel mileage. Both will bolt in,not sure about the computer though. May be cheaper to trade it off and get something with more ponies.

A stock 4.8 is only 10 hp less than the 5.3 and you can beat 900 km to 100 l versus 600km to 100 l and the whole point of this build is to have a sleeper truck to blow all those powerjokes away. and you can make a 350 crate fit just like you can fit a 572 in if you really want to but why spend more then you have to.

growly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A stock 4.8 is only 10 hp less than the 5.3 and you can beat 900 km to 100 l versus 600km to 100 l and the whole point of this build is to have a sleeper truck to blow all those powerjokes away. and you can make a 350 crate fit just like you can fit a 572 in if you really want to but why spend more then you have to.

OK but what are the torque #'s,that's what really matters. My old man had a truck with a 4.8 and it sucked ass for hauling anything. My 6L outpulled a Ford this weekend with about the same amount of weight on them,only thing,the ford had a V10.

johndeereman346

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For starters a chev vs ford is an unfair comparison, but the torqe readings are 30 ft lbs different in the 5.3 and 4.8 and as far as that 6.0 l have you pulled 10 000 lbs plus with it, and with the super charge or turbo who cares plus that truck wont be pulling anything .....just the vehicle and passengers weight

kennyblatz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a good newer twinscrew supercharger should have minimal noise. heck i couldn't here it on my gtp if i tried. I think i would go with a supercharger seems like more of a bolt up and forget about it then a turbo setup on a gas truck.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The problem with a supercharger is that it is a parasitic power loss, because it is driven by a pulley.This means that economy will never be gained however it does have the most desireable characteristics as far as power delivery is concerned. Smooth and seamless.

A turbo however has the ability to extract energy from exhaust gasses and use that drive to spin the turbine which compresses air back into your engine. Inherently more efficient but much more complex to install and optimize you will almost always suffer with some sort of turbo lag symptom. Some more severe than others.

I would suspect that after you do your research that you will conclude that a turbo or a supercharger will set you back a minimum of $5-6000 and your resale will be hardly affected, in-fact a lot people may even be scared of a vehicle that has been modified in such a way.

Save your self a bunch of headaches and buy what you need.

BIG_BRUTE750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dodges are the most useless trucks i ever heard of my cross shift had one and every 30000 he was redoing his whole front end. id get a ford or chevy..:beer::beer::d:d

kennyblatz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
kinda lost the thread is about boosting a chevy not sure why you brought dodge into this and you missed a zero i just did my front end at 310 000km:d

Top Bottom