Flatlander coming to Golden

Tang

Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first post on Snow And Mud - we are coming out in mid January for a first time to the mountains. My wife and I are coming out with some sport sleds for some nice scenic trails.

Can you guys give me some good areas that first timers would enjoy with low AV risk?

PS - My wife rides a 2004 370Z and I ride a 2007 F6

Thanks

Jamie

The Arborist

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Tang, welcome to the site. :beer:

Blaeberry Valley in Golden is a nice, scenic trail ride with some access to mountains if you want them. Not groomed though. Less used so you might not see too many people. Family ride, scenery type area. Low avy area.

Might recommend Quartz as it's always groomed and the trail goes right up to the bowls. Nice meadows and stuff down low. Cabin and other peeps around. Don't have to access the steeper terrain. Safe trail in.

If we happen to be riding the same area that weekend, we can show you around. We generally will be up in the steeper, deeper stuff but can take you in. Your wife's sled will be good in the meadows at Quartz, the Cabin Valley area.

Check out the Golden snowmobile club site, they show the different areas and trails and tell a bit about them. :)

Tang

Reaction score
Thanks - we are really looking forward to the trip. We are also in CrowsNest in February for similar type experience.

One other question - I'm getting some mixed opinions on changing over the 2 sleds for higher elevation sledding. The people local to Saskatchewan feel I should just leave my clutchs set for 0 - 5000ft. The reasoning is my wifes 370Z will have huge limitations in the mountains, so why change clutch weights and spring for very little gain. I will change the main jet on hers and mine is EFI.

What do you think? Any personal experience with this?

Thanks

canamrotax

Reaction score
I also would vote for Quartz. My son and I had a guide show us around there this spring, and it is a great area to learn. No need to go high, lots of areas to play in, and just the ride to the cabin and back will be lots for a beginner. The play areas are just past there, so if she hangs out at the bottom with a camera there are always things to record.
As for clutching, I agree with you, don't bother. For trail riding in and out it won't be worth the effort. Remember to take in food and firestarter so you can take advantage of the stove in the cabin!

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I'm out there that day I'd be happy to show you around.

my mod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks - we are really looking forward to the trip. We are also in CrowsNest in February for similar type experience.

One other question - I'm getting some mixed opinions on changing over the 2 sleds for higher elevation sledding. The people local to Saskatchewan feel I should just leave my clutchs set for 0 - 5000ft. The reasoning is my wifes 370Z will have huge limitations in the mountains, so why change clutch weights and spring for very little gain. I will change the main jet on hers and mine is EFI.

What do you think? Any personal experience with this?

Thanks

Keep me posted on your crowsnest trip, If I am around, my wife and I can give you a tour of Corbin Country. That is close to Crowsnest
They also have a poker rally in February some time

Tang

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great invitations :) - we should be easy to pick out. All new cloths for both of us (like the kid with new shoes in school).

In Regina, Saskatchewan we have no signs of snow and plus 5C -10C everyday. I would like to try out the 2 units before we go to far.

Thanks

Jamie

Tang

Reaction score
Based on the some of the recommendations for family trail riding - do we need a guide or are the trails easy to navigate? Are the trails in the AV areas?

Thanks

Jamie

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Based on the some of the recommendations for family trail riding - do we need a guide or are the trails easy to navigate? Are the trails in the AV areas?

Thanks

Jamie

Yes, some trails are in avy country, areas like the Blaeberry trail are not really though (IMO). Good idea to have some knowledge, but there are safe areas you can ride while you get the feel of things.

Guide would be nice depending on which area you go to, or at least an experienced person to help out in case you get into trouble. Someone who knows how to dig a sled out of 4 ft of powder is always a nice touch....:D Areas like Quartz only have 1 way in and 1 way out, trail is pretty hard to get lost on but it doesn't take much to lose track of your bearings once you venture off the trail. I recommend hitting someone up for a tour, even if its just for a trail ride, you'll enjoy it a lot more if you're comfortable and not apprehensive about getting lost.

As stated, I'll be out there possibly for a day trip and wouldn't mind showing you around. PM me if you like.

Top Bottom