First Oil Change? Cash grab or not.

luismgto

Reaction score
When I purchased my Kawasaki 650Vtwin Quad, the salesman said that my first oil change was due at the first 10 hours of operation. When talking to another dealer out of town I wanted to schedule in the quad for it's oil change, he proceeded to tell me that the first 10 hour oil change was a cash grab and that the first service wouldn't be due till 500 kms. I have well over 10 hours and the oil looks very clean and no lick of problems yet. Your opinions and comments are much appreciated. Thanks .

Luis.:confused:

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I took my KVF 700 in at the 10 hr mark cuz i figured if i payed that much money for a new quad and something happened and i did'nt have that 10hr check that they could screw me over. After that i changed the oil myself. My oil also looked clean but they check the clutch's and breaks to make sure that they are all good.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Nait offers an ATV maintence coarse in Oct, A few of us signed up for the spring coarse but it was cancelled due to low attendence. There is room for 10 but they need 7 to put it on. I will be signing up for the fall coarse, between here and the outlaws we should meet the 7

NAIT | All Terrain Vehicle Service - RPM13

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
how much is the course ?

$250 Quinn..... probably what a dealer would charge for 1 oil change ;) and you have the knowledge to do and make your own adjustments for a lifetime.

I know to some people it might seem like a waste. I do my own oil changes, but it would be nice to have a trained mechanic over your shoulder to help with adjustments and tips

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We do quite a few first services. There are two schools of thought:

First service at ten hours: Gets brake-in filings out of the engine and diffs quickly. Oppertunity to check the unit over for loose bolts, check for unuasual wear, and check cable free play. If valves are set, they have to be done again after 50hrs; ten hrs. is not enough time to fully seat the valves. I recommend sport/racing machines have a first service at ten hrs.

If the dealer is asking for a servie at ten hours then ask if they are changing diff oils; if they are just checking the oil level, then likely they want you in to look a accessories. If they are changing oil they likely are more concerned with warranty; 10 hrs is tough for the OEM to claim abuse, lack of maintenance, or normal wear and tear.

First service at 50 hours: Same work as the ten hour service, except the valves have seated as fully as possible and thus a valve set is added to the service. Unuasual wear is much easier to see at this point. I recommend utility/trail machine have first service at 50hrs.

Tip: Ask to have your oil filter opened up and have a look at it at the first service. You'll never miss a first service on anything you buy new after seeing the filter.

My:twocents:

Mike Anderson

Reaction score
Howdy! Chances are there is break-in oil in there with the coating that comes off the cam and any debris inside cases from casting/ assembly etc. Thus the oil change and usually valve adjustments. Could screw you out of warranty. They also check torques on wheel/ axle nut, diff oils, valve cover, head/ cyl etc. Should really get it down, but there shouldnt be diffs between dealers as per miles/ hrs. Some are 10, 30, 100 etc depends on manufacturer.

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Howdy! Chances are there is break-in oil in there with the coating that comes off the cam and any debris inside cases from casting/ assembly etc. Thus the oil change and usually valve adjustments. Could screw you out of warranty. They also check torques on wheel/ axle nut, diff oils, valve cover, head/ cyl etc. Should really get it down, but there shouldnt be diffs between dealers as per miles/ hrs. Some are 10, 30, 100 etc depends on manufacturer.

Good to see you finally signed up on the site, your knowledge will be a great addition to the site......Can't wait for snow!!!:D

albertagal500

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nait offers an ATV maintence coarse in Oct, A few of us signed up for the spring coarse but it was cancelled due to low attendence. There is room for 10 but they need 7 to put it on. I will be signing up for the fall coarse, between here and the outlaws we should meet the 7

NAIT | All Terrain Vehicle Service - RPM13

I want to take this but I know the collarbones will not be ready for me to.

luismgto

Reaction score
Okay, so I talked to dealer, and I misunderstood what he said. Apparently, it's between 10 and 30 hours for the first scheduled change. Whew! I have 23 hours on my machine right now, and was worried about losing my 2 year warranty.

Top Bottom