Fifth wheel Trailer tires Recommendation.

xsyourride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Went under to check brake adjustment (3 out of the 4 i could push the wheels through the brakes applied, Great PDI) on my Fifth wheel and found this. I have 235/80/16 E rated tires with 6000lb axles and max weight is 15,500. Was thinking upgrading to 235/80/16 G rated tires. I feel the suspension and wheels are way under rated on this thing. But have zero time right now to worry about axles and springs. Did one trip to jasper and back on these tires and head to Vancouver friday and they are toast on the rear axle. Dealer won't do nothing. Any thoughts. Rim has 3200 stamped on the inside.

Attachments

• IMG_3970.jpg
    IMG_3970.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
Got rid of mine asap. Went with Maxxis. Night and day difference between the two. Just the weight alone told me that the Maxxis are 20x the tire. But the sidewall also is MUCH better. Those Power King should be deemed illegal.

RhinoWhino

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Let me guess..... Power King Towmax?
" Blow Max " is what lots of people on the heartland forum are calling them . Im on my second year with them and no issues yet but dont put a lot of miles on . Will be getting rid of them before next year though .

xsyourride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you upgrade ply ?

Got rid of mine asap. Went with Maxxis. Night and day difference between the two. Just the weight alone told me that the Maxxis are 20x the tire. But the sidewall also is MUCH better. Those Power King should be deemed illegal.

xsyourride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No. I didn't. And only because the wheels on my unit are only rated for the 80psi that the tires are also rated for. To upgrade the ply, I'd also have to upgrade the wheels. G rated tires run at 110psi if I remember correctly.
110 psi is correct. Guy on kijiji that is selling new tires is telling me to upgrade to 14 ply with the stock rim. Trailer is 41' long with lots of tail passed the last axle. Tires just fold over when turning. Where did you get your maxxi tires?

campingnut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can run a 110PSI tire at 80PSI and have no problems at all. I would suggest Goodyear 614 and run them at 80PSI. My Towmax tires did the exact sae thing.

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X2 on the Goodyear g 614 have heard nothing but good stories with them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
You can run a 110PSI tire at 80PSI and have no problems at all. I would suggest Goodyear 614 and run them at 80PSI. My Towmax tires did the exact sae thing.

But, you would be reducing their load range. So, why spend the money on a G rated, and still only be running E rating (due to low pressure), when you can just buy a GOOD (ie. Maxxis) E rated tire?

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
110 psi is correct. Guy on kijiji that is selling new tires is telling me to upgrade to 14 ply with the stock rim. Trailer is 41' long with lots of tail passed the last axle. Tires just fold over when turning. Where did you get your maxxi tires?

I ordered them from Big-O tire in Kamloops, BC, and they sent them to me via Greyhound. Very good price, even WITH the shipping. I couldn't find anyone local who sells them.

-lenny-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ran Maxxis tires on my last 5th wheel, had good luck with them. I think I put two sets on in about 70,000km. If the axles were better I'm sure one set would have made it. Trailer was about 16k loaded, tandem axle.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My toy hauler had some Dura last tires on it from factory, they didn't last 2 years! Put Goodyear trailer tires and upgraded to a radial had them for 2 years and you can still see the little rib from the mould. They will last for years to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went with Crosswind LT235/85/16 LrG from General auto in Lamont. Call Ryan (780) 895-7446.

'12 T4. 30" Roctanes.
570 Berg.

four4all

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll second the General Auto comment above. Great prices. I've gotten all my RZR stuff and all my tires from Ryan.

I've got a Cyclone Fiver. Read alot of horror stories on Heartland forums about tires blowing on 5th wheel trailers and tearing up the sides of trailer. (Buddy ripped up his Cyclone heading to Rocky - also busted his sisters Rental car windshield while she was following him out there.)

Those towmax tires (POS) are commonly referred to by many as China Bombs.

When I upgraded my tires, I had to upgrade my air compressor too. (to get up to 100psi)

I also got some external tire pressure sensors put on. (TST 507's) Just for piece of mind.

Top Bottom