Fact or Fiction, trailer ball receivers

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1 meter past taillights

I say 3ft some says 1m, well sry I missed the .28 after all 1m equals 3.28ft.

On my truck my taillights are flush with my tailgate, as well as 99% of other pickups out there. The only thing different on some is they have ugly extended housings like on the 2007+ ram pickups, and I think maybe chev is in there as well.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score

Traffic safety act

Overhanging load
16(1) During nighttime, a load that overhangs the rear of the vehicle carrying it by 1.5 metres or more must have a lit red lamp on the back of the load.
(2) During daytime, a load that overhangs the rear of the vehicle carrying it by 1.5 metres or more must have a red or orange flag that is not less than 300 millimetres square on the back of the load.

vehicle equipment regs
Overhanging load
105 Despite section 16, a commercial vehicle carrying a load of logs that overhangs the rear of the vehicle by 1.5 metres or more must have
(a) a set of two‑way headache rack lamps mounted on the power unit of the vehicle at approximately cab height,
(b) during nighttime, 2 lit red lamps attached to the back of the load, with one lamp being as close to the right edge and the other as close to the left edge of the load as is practicable, and
(c) during daytime, at least 2 streamer markers at the rear of the load, with at least one streamer as close to the right edge and another as close to the left edge of the load as is practicable.

no where does it say anything about a trailer hitch being illegal in Alberta while a trailer is not in tow. Unless this is a law that has been passed recently and not added to the vehicle equipment regulations. but the above is from Alberta gov site so if i was charged with that i would be mighty upset and point out that it was not posted in the regulations so how were you supposed to know it was illegal. maybe its another one of those "justifying their job" things. who knows just pays sometimes to do you homework !

1 meter past taillights

I guess its 1.5m:d:d:d

mxz sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A few years back I got pulled over by local county cop he was sitting on
hy 627 with no lights on he was so convince that i was impaired so i ask him
why he thought i was.He said that there was bottle cap in back seat I just start to laugh so I flip the cap over and it was pepsi bottle cap.He got a little
pisse after that and gave a failing to stop ticket.I was some what choke about it so off to court i go to fight this little injust .So before i get to
court room I ask cop about that night how come he was park sec hwy
with no light on and that he was more of a danger then I was.His answer
was that he was allowed to break the law to inforce the law.WHAT bull....
answer that was!The judge just as much a jerk as the cop I still had to paid the ticket .Just another life lesson i guess .I think every waking monment
I must break some unknown law out there and just don,t know it:nono:

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The hitch and ball sticking out defeats the purpose of the bumpers on a vehicle. The bumper is designed to absorb impact energy and not transmit the impact energy in the occupants of the vehicle. The dude with the F150 that left his hitch in and the Corvette ran into him could be in trouble if the guy in the Corvette got a smart laywer (see Summitrics thread ). Yet you see a lot of rue bumpers and push bars and home made receivers - no legal issues - same type of enforcement as tinted windows - only if they want to chanrge you they will . Just my 2 cents worth

They rear ended you its they're fault!...let them end up with more damage! Go after my hitch with the law in a rear ending accident, I will go after you for whip lash!

Top Bottom