Extreme Heat From Stock Exhaust Melting wiring and RAVES and Rubber Mounts

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2013 Ski-Doo XM..... 800 etec......

Noticed that the rubber bushings that sit underneath of the exhaust have been subject to extreme heat, causing the rubber to disintegrate and fall apart (sled has only 300km's) also, noticed wiring protection and wiring directly behind the exhaust (by oil tank and coolant reservoir) have also been subject to heat, as they as well have melted..... One more, also noticed that the RAVE covers are victims of high heat as well, causing the covers to melt too....(looks shiney, like the plastic is now brittle..)

I know what everyone is gonna say "get a can and get rid of the Suitcase" but thats not the point.... WHY are these components falling victim to heat failure IF testing was done to find out issues that may be present????

Ive heard of other instances that people have run into and found that dealers have only put "reflective tape" over damaged pieces and did not replace.... If my RAVES fail due to high heat in engine compartment they should be covered correct???

Anyone else that has the suitcase still installed notice any melting or high heat concerns???? My suitcase no longer sits in the proper spot because the rubber mounts are no more, and fear that the wiring behind can (by coolant reservoir) will soon fall victim....

Cheers!!!!!!!

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sounds like you're running hot, which means youre running lean. Check both exhaust sensors, one might have fallen out. Mine in my pipe did and caused similar problems. put it back in, problem solved :)

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sounds like you're running hot, which means youre running lean. Check both exhaust sensors, one might have fallen out. Mine in my pipe did and caused similar problems. put it back in, problem solved :)

Not running hot.... or lean..... sensors are in place, I go through my sled after every trip I go on.... and NOTHING is out of place..... MY coolant temps are within range...... And as I said I am not the only one subject to these issues..... its not an isolated event....

Cheers!!

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I noticed this as well just minor melting near oil res like you described. I ran my sled stock with BRP suitcase for the first day and all holes open. The last 5 days the whole hood and holes are duct taped closed so no snow hits my clutch and I have a can on there. I wounder if its still too hot or mnaybe just from that first ride?

I will have to watch I will try and snap a pic

anyone that put the can on for first ride have any of this?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I noticed this as well just minor melting near oil res like you described. I ran my sled stock with BRP suitcase for the first day and all holes open. The last 5 days the whole hood and holes are duct taped closed so no snow hits my clutch and I have a can on there. I wounder if its still too hot or mnaybe just from that first ride?

I will have to watch I will try and snap a pic

anyone that put the can on for first ride have any of this?

I have a maintenance day today on our 2 sleds (one with 600 kms and the other with 1800 kms and both ridden hard but gentle on most occasions). I will check and let you know.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First machine checked out (the one with 600 kms) and no melting. TheThing can since day 1 so that maybe doesn't really help you. No venting and no screens on this sled.

thanks Doug I will take a quick look again as I havent since last ride but I think now with the can Im all good by the sounds of it... cheers

LinkTank

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My RAVE valve cover also has melted a small hole on the bottom side. Can from day one. Other 2 sleds are fine

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My RAVE valve cover also has melted a small hole on the bottom side. Can from day one. Other 2 sleds are fine

Heat tape maybe? My cover is heat taped, My dealer said it happens to a lot of Sleds, completely stock ones as well. I would heat tape stuff if you're worried but thats IMO

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
First machine checked out (the one with 600 kms) and no melting. TheThing can since day 1 so that maybe doesn't really help you. No venting and no screens on this sled.

Second machine checked out (the one with 1800 kms) and no melting. TheThing can since day 1 so that maybe doesn't really help you. Screens on everything (even the exhaust side vent on the top of the side panel). I know things are hot but not any different that the 2012's as the parchment paper in the cooker gets just as scorched!!!!!

Hmmmmmmmmm........lemon garlic shrimp...:yo:

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heat tape maybe? My cover is heat taped, My dealer said it happens to a lot of Sleds, completely stock ones as well. I would heat tape stuff if you're worried but thats IMO

YA that's what a lot of the dealers have been doing during the 500km service... HOWEVER...... The rigorous testing these sleds supposedly went through before full production would have had the same issues.....

I don't even come close to running my sled like the test sleds are supposed to be run like during testing... and I have melting....... You'd think that IF there was an issue (which most likely was) during testing, they would have noted it, and found a resolution before the sled went out on production.....

Unless the inspection after testing was not all that thorough..... Which more and more it seems to be that way...

Since there is such heat involved to melt the wiring loom, chances are the wiring was subject to heat, which we all know, can cause insulation around wiring to become hard and brittle... Therefore through the vibrations of the sled and the heat cooling cycles of running and parking COULD cause the insulation to break apart on the wiring, therefore allowing bare wire to become in contact with metal and/or other bare wiring...

Like I said, I check my sled out a lot, its a big investment for me, so I pick out everything..... Why aren't professional testers and analysts missing what I see in plain view.....

If it needs tape, fine, tape it is... BUT, it should have been done and added into the production process, before the consumer gets the sled..... its a lot cleaner and neater when the sled is torn down.....

Maybe its a lot like the oil tank fix, its ugly but it works, but should it have been that way from day one instead of possibly causing issues???....

Probably....

Would it have stopped be from b*t**ing and complaining so much about my brand new sled....

MOST DEFINITELY!!!!!!!! Because the sled would therefore be "pull and go"...... And thats exctly what I would be doing, instead Im here worrying about my 13+G sled and not riding it...

Top Bottom