Enclosed trailer questions

mudmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking at buying an enclosed trailer. Thinking around the 19-20 ft range. Need to haul at least 3 mountain sleds. What trailer brand should I go with and who has the best price?

rhody605

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I fit 4 mountain sleds + 1 snow bike in a 20' + 4' v-nose.

I've seen people fit 3 mountain sleds in 4 14' flat front but they were sardines.

I suggest 8.5' wide. Soo much more room.
Think about what you want for it long term.

Mine is forest river by cargo mate. Got it from factory outlet trailers in high river. Cheapest price for entry/mid level trailer.

I suggest bonded alum sides. The screwless exterior. My brother has an older one with the screwed on panels and the screws are rusting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woodsie1984

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 16' plus 5' v nose stealth trailer. Can fit 3 sleds in it. But don't recommend stealth trailers at all, had lots of problems with it from day one and chuck wagon trailers has been no help at all. Came fully insulated with heater that is completely useless, I put 3 sleds in it as they advertise and bent the axles, phoned and asked wtf...they told me no warranty I must of over loaded it. Only load I've ever had in it is 3 sleds. I had to put 2 new axles under it now, aluminum side panels are corroding out at bottoms and 2 door handles on back door ripped off cause they used crap screws, once again no warranty on any of it. I will never buy from chuck wagon or stealth again.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Remember you get what you pay for. Cheap means cheap.

Mine is a 2010 Continental Cargo (Snow King).
It's been: Re-wired, Hinges replaced, Floor re-fastened down, Base boards re-done.

As of last year it needs to be re-wired inside, I lost my interior light, I need to re-fasten part of the floor down again, the walls are separating from the floor, the base boards have popped off and the skin if fairly rotten on the front V and the back door. The screws on the outside are rusting off and trim is pulling away from the trailer.

Believe it or not, I do maintain the damn thing. I bought it because it was cheap. Spend the money, buy something good.

Brand new it cost me $9,800.00 and it is a 28ft.

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buy all aluminum, not steel/aluminum. I learned that from Teeroy. Dissimilar metals corrode faster.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All aluminum is great and all but between cost and cracking issues some have it isn't a perfect trailer neither. Now most won't have issues with cracking some will.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buy all aluminum, not steel/aluminum. I learned that from Teeroy. Dissimilar metals corrode faster.

I totally again with this. But that being said I would only buy a steel frame. As a guy that has tried and have fixed thousands of crack in aluminum trailer, I won't buy one. Fixing used aluminum is dam near impossible! What's on it is in so no matter how much you grind and wire wheel you can't properly weld the cracks. So once it cracks (and it will with the sh!tty welders that build those trailers) it's in steep down hill road to being no good. Steel is easy to fix

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I totally again with this. But that being said I would only buy a steel frame. As a guy that has tried and have fixed thousands of crack in aluminum trailer, I won't buy one. Fixing used aluminum is dam near impossible! What's on it is in so no matter how much you grind and wire wheel you can't properly weld the cracks. So once it cracks (and it will with the sh!tty welders that build those trailers) it's in steep down hill road to being no good. Steel is easy to fix

Yep. Not everyone can weld aluminum and there are not many that can do it well. New stuff is pretty easy but the used stuff is tough. With steel give anyone a good mig welder and tell them the thickness, follow the chart that came with the machine, clean and weld.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Actually if you have the cash go buy a steel trailer and take it to get box liner sprayed inside, the front and back done. Undercoat the bottom. All have crap wiring. My new enclosed is steel and once again the wiring is crap but I don't have the full enclosed roof so the wiring is easy to get to and repair if needed. The dumb hawks still use scotch locks. We haven't used those since the late 80's early 90's.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep. Not everyone can weld aluminum and there are not many that can do it well. New stuff is pretty easy but the used stuff is tough. With steel give anyone a good mig welder and tell them the thickness, follow the chart that came with the machine, clean and weld.

Yah I would be on the top end of guys that can weld aluminum! Not many can out weld me! But that used stuff is the most frustrating stuff in the world! You invent swear words welding it lol

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have to do lots of it at work. I do the small stuff but anything more then a couple hours and we bring in someone. I used to enjoy doing it but the novelty wore off so I like it the way it is. Anything steel I will usually do as well as the other guy we got that can weld but usually they are quick jobs too. The trailers we weld the most haul garbage and are dirty as fawk. Sometimes you have to do a small bead to seal out the crap then put the heat to it. But if you are not paying attention and breath in that crap it is bad. I haven't found a good mash I can wear under my helmet and still have my helmet come all the way down

vodoo103

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking at buying an enclosed trailer. Thinking around the 19-20 ft range. Need to haul at least 3 mountain sleds. What trailer brand should I go with and who has the best price?

A 8 x 16' + V-nose will fit 3 sleds + gear easily. Two sleds in forwards & third in the middle backwards. I run a 16' mission & have been very happy.
Last trailer I had was an aluminum Wells Cargo & it was also great.

If I was in the market for a steel trailer, I'd probably look at a Trails West. A few of my friends have them and are happy.

Talk to Ron (Firefly) @ Paradis - everyone that has dealt with him only have good things to say about him.

Top Bottom