E-Readers, what's the best one to get here in Canada?

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thinking of an E-Reader not sure which one to go for, thought of a Kindle or Kindle Fire (but tough to find on store shelves, i could order online but would rather see it in person), is the Fire worth ordering without being able to look at it first?? Looked at a Kobo Vox colour display and thought it looked great (would there be a shine or glare problem with it in bright light conditions??). Looked at a Sony but thought the pages loaded a little slow. Found a cheaper one in Wal-Mart ($68) is it ok or just that CHEAP crap?? First thought was an I-Pad but i would like to keep the cost down to around $200 or less.
Thanks for any info you may have.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I can't read.... but my wife LOVES her kindle, lots of title availablity and prices are decent, battery lasts forever and she finds without the backlight it's easy on her eyes.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got the wife the 650 sony e-reader from best buy, she seems to like it a lot. she has no trouble finding books for it, holds quite a few. I'm reading the Stephen Tyler bio on it when she isn't using it....lol

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't read.... but my wife LOVES her kindle, lots of title availablity and prices are decent, battery lasts forever and she finds without the backlight it's easy on her eyes.
What type of Kindle (the fire or a different type) and where did you find it, or did you have too order online??

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got the wife the 650 sony e-reader from best buy, she seems to like it a lot. she has no trouble finding books for it, holds quite a few. I'm reading the Stephen Tyler bio on it when she isn't using it....lol
Is that the newest one Sony has out?

4byrookie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got 2 kindles for family members last year for xmas and they love them. At the time they were the only ones you could get with 3g and wifi ability. They are the kindle keyboard models and they work great, and last a long time on a charge. Absolutely no complaints with them.

big-viewer-3G-01-lrg._V188696038_.jpg

PINKalicious

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i bought my DD the pocketbook pro samsung i look into it and felt it was the best for the $ and based on what peeps had to say about it...but i am good with computers and that thing is going to be the death of me i do not find it easy at all i would pick something like the kobo just for how easy it is to use. my DD takes my ipad more and reads with it then her reader so i guess it depend on who is going to use it and who is going to have to do the work updating it.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
it's a basic reader, she got it on amazon. she's not a fan of touch screen i-books says they are a pain and the reading surface is always smudged, hers has the page turn buttons on each side. SHe went Kindle because the book selection at the time best suited her wants and the prices were more attractive. She is looking at getting them for the girls for christmas and will likely get the kobo for them. kindle offers a wide array of options which are not available in canada but to her it's just a portable book, the others have more toys...

What type of Kindle (the fire or a different type) and where did you find it, or did you have too order online??

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What ever happened to buying a book? doesn't require batteries and never needs recharging. Just wait until the day you hear someone say "I was going to read that but I had no place to plug my reader into" pff

just saying

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What ever happened to buying a book? doesn't require batteries and never needs recharging. Just wait until the day you hear someone say "I was going to read that but I had no place to plug my reader into" pff

just saying

That's soooo 5 years ago!!

I am a die hard reader and never thought I would like the e-readers as there is something to be said for the turning of pages between fingers. Plus, I suffer from migraines and my eyes are super sensitive to screen light, so I wasn't sure it would work for me.

I got a Kobo from my husband and very much enjoy it's ease of use, book selection, and fast download. The battery lasts for weeks and the screen is just like looking at paper. It's light and portable for travelling.

Still, I sometimes walk by the books in a store and miss the actual experience of a real book. Corny, but true.

mudd kitty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree here. I love the feeling of coming to the end of a great book. U can see the progress as the pages turn. I just started reading my first E book. A fav of mine Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series and I'm not sure how I feel about it. I do however like the fact I can take 100s of books with me in one small, convenient, easy to carry package. And I haven't figured out how to "bookmark" on my tablet yet either which is a pain in the azz.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

Top Bottom