Dodge Ram Diesel RPM gauge low

arcticdodge

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an 2006 Dodge Ram Diesel. It is the 5.9l. When i start the truck it idles and runs like it should but my tach sits at about 200rpm. When I rev it up the guage jumps up and seems to be fine but when I let off the throttle the tach drops back down to about 200rpm. Anybody experience this? What could be the problem? Thanks Mark

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
faulty guage? or pcm? scan the system and take a live scanner reading of what the system thinks its idling at? possibly voltage problem? send me a pm of this tomorrow morning and i'll check for service bulletins and check identifix for common problems?

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an 2006 Dodge Ram Diesel. It is the 5.9l. When i start the truck it idles and runs like it should but my tach sits at about 200rpm. When I rev it up the guage jumps up and seems to be fine but when I let off the throttle the tach drops back down to about 200rpm. Anybody experience this? What could be the problem? Thanks Mark

This was a very common issue with '06 model trucks. I know of at least a couple dozen people that have ha tach display problems in '06's. My own truck started by reading low....then it would bounce around....and finally it wrapped itself around and pretty much stopped working all together.

arcticdodge

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have been told to replace the instrument cluster. Doesn't sound like to much fun. But will have to get at it one day

aaron_m

Reaction score
give a light, or a heavy tap on the cluster guage covering. seems to move my rpm gauge back where it is supposed to be.
I have an 06 3500 as well, same deal. live with it, or belly up the $700 (i was told) for a new complete instument cluster.

Bunn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cluster it is.....Common problem on 06-07 models.Cluster is a snap to change though.15min in and out.

Top Bottom